Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:36 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times

Advertisements

This thread is a chance to voice your opinion about what should be done, that has never been done before. It can be a huge spread of subjects? Something the government might do, build or develop. Something some company should develop. Something some person should do.

Some typical ideas for talking points, not complete, just to give an idea of things that might be discussed.
  • Man has been on the moon, should we go to Mars or some other type space travel
  • Should we build and fly supersonic passenger airplanes
  • Shoud a bridge or turnnel be built between Alaska and Russia
  • Should a birth control pill be invented that is totally safe and is used the morning after only.
  • What forms of electric generation are available not presently used
  • How to solve CA and the far west water problems
  • What type of car or truck should be developed that does not exist now
  • What type of computer device would you like that is not now in use
  • What movie should be made that has never been made
  • What book written for a subject never covered
  • What computer program that is needed but never written
  • What Hi Tech gizmo needed that is not now available
  • What big projects should the government fund
  • What TV program that has never been made
  • What song never written
  • What form of expression, fad or thing people can do, but not now done
  • Something you should do that you have never done before
  • Some type of artificial sex machine that has human qualities
Basically a type of thread where you can wander about a lot and still be On Subject. Probably do not want to cross over into politics or anything to do with religion or anything weird in a non material sense, like something to do with a social situation. Your chance to fix the World. Post pix's of your ideas. Remember pix are worth many words. It does not have to be totally serious. Dreaming allowed. Better if you can also voice how it might be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 05:50 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
We should fight wars via video game-like systems, each country escrowing the funds that would be spent to send actual troops so that the real financial cost for the resources that are used would have to be available, with the victor getting the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
This thread is a chance to voice your opinion about what should be done, that has never been done before. It can be a huge spread of subjects? Something the government might do, build or develop. Something some company should develop. Something some person should do.

Some typical ideas for talking points, not complete, just to give an idea of things that might be discussed.
  • Man has been on the moon, should we go to Mars or some other type space travel
  • Should we build and fly supersonic passenger airplanes
  • Shoud a bridge or turnnel be built between Alaska and Russia
  • Should a birth control pill be invented that is totally safe and is used the morning after only.
  • What forms of electric generation are available not presently used
  • How to solve CA and the far west water problems
  • What type of car or truck should be developed that does not exist now
  • What type of computer device would you like that is not now in use
  • What movie should be made that has never been made
  • What book written for a subject never covered
  • What computer program that is needed but never written
  • What Hi Tech gizmo needed that is not now available
  • What big projects should the government fund
  • What TV program that has never been made
  • What song never written
  • What form of expression, fad or thing people can do, but not now done
  • Something you should do that you have never done before
  • Some type of artificial sex machine that has human qualities
Basically a type of thread where you can wander about a lot and still be On Subject. Probably do not want to cross over into politics or anything to do with religion or anything weird in a non material sense, like something to do with a social situation. Your chance to fix the World. Post pix's of your ideas. Remember pix are worth many words. It does not have to be totally serious. Dreaming allowed. Better if you can also voice how it might be done.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:54 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,385 times
Sorry...I had to chuckle when you mentioned CA and water problem....before I knew anyone from CA (and knew anything in general) I used to say, ' California...nothing a little rise in the ocean won't cure'. No offence to anyone...this is not my point of view anymore....just had to laugh when I saw that.
Since Hawaii is drifting away (something I saw on the Science channel....I was COMPLETELY astonished...had NO idea), I think they need to find a way to make it stay put! Granted it'll be ALOT of years before it wanders too far from home, but none-the-less....shouldn't they be spending money on trying to develop methods for protecting the earth rather than the billions on exploring OTHER planets??

Old 04-10-2007, 06:32 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default A great thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
We should fight wars via video game-like systems, each country escrowing the funds that would be spent to send actual troops so that the real financial cost for the resources that are used would have to be available, with the victor getting the money.
Yup, that one is a biggy. Would make huge amounts of money available for other purposes.

Lots of peeps have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to ban warfare or just fight it in a different manner. One big problem is combatants usually do not agree on to much of anything, including the rules / reason / methods of solving conflicts.

Solution when they break the rules for the video games - Yup, go kick their doors down and thump them bloody.

Another way of saying Arms Control usually only works for those not interested in fighting anybody.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:42 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,664 times
What BIG project should the government fund?? Oh, I don't know---maybe the 'Americanization of Iraq??? Oh sorry, my mistake. We tried that--didn't work out!!

Old 04-10-2007, 07:11 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,147 times
I think the field of science which is an extremely broad field & can't all be summed up in a short paragraph, should be further advanced than it is present time, the states are really dragging there feet on so much from cars to medicine, things that could be developed are being developed ever so slowly or completely dropped by letting red tape & such get in the way of such development, european countries in certain fields are way ahead of the states, true there are safeguards to be established & put in place here in the states but the time frames it takes for the states to finally get something up & running is far to long, compare the things discovered by the great minds years in the past to recent developments, have discoveries & advancements in science in the past been of more abundance, quicker in time & of more astonishment vs. discoveries made in say the last half century or so.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:39 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
any congressmen, or president, if they have a net worth over 500,000, then they shouldnt be paid by taxes, (salary)
presently we have millionairres, sucking off the american nipple,,our tax dollars,
and have created thier own golden parachute of lifelong retirement pay and ,benefits, perhaps if they could connect better with the working class,,,they'd tax us less, and restrain thier outragious pork spending..

we have mostly slimeball lawyers as legislators, who are corrupt, get kickbacks for government contracts,,and beholden to lobbyists.

they campaign,,,get voted in and then sell thier soul to the almighty taxpayers dollars.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:30 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Why not put some stationary solar panels in space to capture radiant energy from the sun. Then, using laser technology, point a beam of concentrated light to earth, say near one of the poles to be out of harms way, to be used in generating electricity. I do see drawbacks with this idea however. If anything passes through that beam of light, like a jet for instance, it's going to be toast. But perhaps there is a way to make the light beam benign or tell pilots that it would be a bad idea to fly into that area. I'm sure there would be more kinks as well, but I don't see why this couldn't be done.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:40 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Why not put some stationary solar panels in space to capture radiant energy from the sun. Then, using laser technology, point a beam of concentrated light to earth, say near one of the poles to be out of harms way, to be used in generating electricity. I do see drawbacks with this idea however. If anything passes through that beam of light, like a jet for instance, it's going to be toast. But perhaps there is a way to make the light beam benign or tell pilots that it would be a bad idea to fly into that area. I'm sure there would be more kinks as well, but I don't see why this couldn't be done.
Didn't Ronald Reagan come up with this idea. Was called "Star Wars" I think!!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:27 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
This city has over a hundred murders this year, most via gunfire. Why not deploy some of our armed forces right here? Just their presence would deter some mischief (drug dealing), and, perhaps, detain some of these warlords.
Fight fire with fire. It's too out of hand. And parts of the city look like where our troops are serving now, due primarily to the darned drugs running rampant. We need a General, not a "Mayor" here, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics