U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 07:27 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,080,143 times

Advertisements

Flyers that describe a great deal and when you see what it really is, the actual item is sold out and there is a similar but lesser quality product in plentiful stock.. No rain checks on the original, of course.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 09:12 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,621,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Flyers that describe a great deal and when you see what it really is, the actual item is sold out and there is a similar but lesser quality product in plentiful stock.. No rain checks on the original, of course.

oooo I hate that gimmick. I get mad and go talk to managers. Anyone have those 39.95 optical places. Get your glasses for 39.95. Well the commercials here say just that come on in and purchase your prescription glasses frames and all for 39.95.

My BF was on well-fare at the time we went in a few years ago and we asked about the glasses for 39.95. The rep said sure we have lots of glasses she can get at that price and pointed to the wall of frames just pick out your frames. We did and when the rep figure up the basic no frills (just lens and frame) pricing it all came to 155 something.

WE were shocked! Why so high? "oh becuase the frames you chose were 96 dollars" once again we asked where are the ones were she can get her glasses for only 39.95? WE did a few rounds of "where on the wall?" "oh different places on the wall" I asked/demanded that she go to the wall and pull off a pair of 39.95 glasses.

She couldn't and wouldn't and I very loudly stated that it was illegal to promise a price and NOT be able to deliever. I am such a redhead! I think the whole mall heard me. At least everyone in that store heard me or should I say heard us since my BF was hopping mad, even more then I was. The manager coward in the back cause I saw him he did not want to face us.

In the end I took my friend to my eyeglass place and they gave her a great deal with scratch guard and a slight tint to combat glare and a great warentee because they knew me. Covered it all under he wellfare insurance. she only paid out about 50 bucks.

never went back there, I seem to be an elephant and always recall when a place of business tries some trick or gimmic. I hate it.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:27 PM

25,712 posts, read 25,622,515 times
It irks me to know end when people stick stupid things on my windshield or my door because I dont bother reading it, instead, tear it and toss it.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:31 AM

15,117 posts, read 15,532,840 times
I ignore flyers.

Just read Livewire's post- same here.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:09 AM

16,200 posts, read 11,031,581 times
it is amazing how many people fall for the tricks and gimmicks.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:37 AM

28,227 posts, read 20,588,490 times
I must defend Target on this-2 years ago they advertisied a stand mixer (Kitchen-Aid) ar a great price. We went Sunday noon and they were gone. The manager gave me the top of the line at the sale price!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:46 AM

53,207 posts, read 31,688,338 times
All the flyers that I get go flying into the recycle bin, unless they have my name and address on them, in that case they go flying into the shredder. These things are a nuisance and I wish the US Postal service would quit delivering them with regular mail, or just quit delivering them.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:14 PM

43,856 posts, read 47,198,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I must defend Target on this-2 years ago they advertisied a stand mixer (Kitchen-Aid) ar a great price. We went Sunday noon and they were gone. The manager gave me the top of the line at the sale price!
I had the same experience with WalMart on an oscillating fan. I went in for a $19.99 cheapie....and came home with this cool chrome wonder worth $39.99! I imagine it depends on the integrity of the individual store manager....but I was impressed!

When I read Alice's original post though, I think of IKEA. Sure the table is only $24.99....but you have to buy each leg separately!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics