Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 AM

264 posts, read 819,339 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of those weightloss/smoking cessation hypnosis seminars? There is one in Chatt wed night that I am considering but don't want to waste my time/money if it is a bunch of crap. ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 07:52 AM

246 posts, read 754,684 times
I don't know if its a bunch of crap or not but did not work for me at all. It may have to do with the hypnotition and your exceptance to it.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:06 PM

600 posts, read 2,259,753 times
It seems to me that anyone can lose weight or stop smoking on their own if they want to. I quit smoking years ago, and I'm losing weight every week. "Acceptance" of hypnosis is a lame excuse if you ask me. Just get some will power, make the decision to do it, then do it.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:55 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
I was JUSt thinking about this today, funny. It was a waste of time, for me anyway. If it's anything like the one I went to (downtown - maybe the Trade Center?) you are in a HUGE HUGE HUGE (did I say huge?) mass of people, no one-on-one contact, no dice. It may inspire you but that's about it... Sorry I would suggest maybe a direct hypnotherapist session with a local person. I don't know any but someone here might.

My highest and most successful weight loss was around 260 lbs, I got divorced LOL

Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I don't think a seminar would do much, but if you find a qualified hyponotist it may. I went to a hypnotist for a year in my 20's for weight loss. I lost 100 lbs. in 11 mos.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:31 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
My mom tried to quit smoking several times, didn't manage it, saw a hypnotist and not only never picked up a cigarette ever again but also didn't have much urge for one. I agree I don't know how well a seminar would work but seeing hypnotist definitely worked for my mom!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 AM

240 posts, read 586,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
My mom tried to quit smoking several times, didn't manage it, saw a hypnotist and not only never picked up a cigarette ever again but also didn't have much urge for one. I agree I don't know how well a seminar would work but seeing hypnotist definitely worked for my mom!
I think it is same as all the other methods for example: nicotine patches, gum, lozenges, and all the others. None of them work if you haven't really committed yourself to quitting.
A very small precentage are successful with any of them.
My mother smoked for forty years and went for hypnosis. They were supposed to bring their cigarettes with them. The hypnotist then produced a garbage can and told them all to throw their cigarettes in there, which they did. However, mother had "forgotten" her's at home. She went through the hypnotist session, went home and threw her cigarettes in the garbage. She never smoked another cigarette and lived another 20 years.
She was committed to quitting though. She lived in Canada and when cigarettes got up to about $7.00 a pack she simply couldn't afford them anymore. So, the question is: Did she quit because of the hypnosis or because she had to. I think it was a combination of both. By that I mean without both she probably would have gone without food rather than nicotine. The most important factor I think is to BELIEVE whole heartedly that whatever method you try will work whether it is hypnosis, patches or anything else. I think if you don't believe or are not fully committed, forget it.
Another friend of mine (a guy) quit by hypnosis after 40 years of smoking but he was totally committed to quitting, too. I know of lots of people that went to the same session as he did and failed, so draw your own conclusions. More people actually quit cold turkey than by any one of the many methods. If you aren't committed in the first place you won't succeed.
I picked today about a month ago as the day I am going to quit a 40 year habit of chewing tobacco. I will probably have to take some the 2 mg lozenges I've got and I've got patches but I am going to throw them away. I was never committed enough to quit by any of the methods I mentioned earlier. I have come to firmly believe that as long as a person continues to put high doses of nicotine into the body, the body won't learn to live without it. Here is the definition of nicotine I got out of an old encyclopedia:

Nicotine, an alkaloid, to be found in the leaves of the tobacco plant; a liquid compound of carbon, hydrogen and and nitrogen, used as an insecticide. It is very poisonous, less than one drop being a fatal dose.

I checked some of my insecticide containers and it is in there.
I went through bursitus of the knee last week and for two days didn't go to a hospital because my deductible is so high that it wouldn't be covered. I finally decided I had to go because couldn't take the pain any longer. Whatever it costs it was worth cost to the doctor and drugs to be rid of the pain. If I can take the pain of that I should have no problem with the pain of the cravings. Add to that the fact that I am unemployed so won't have much a problem finding a way to spent the $10.00 a week ($520.00) a year that I will save by getting off drugs (nicotine).

Old 09-15-2009, 07:50 AM

320 posts, read 1,069,688 times
Don't waste your money. If you like the idea of hypnosis, try a one-on-one session with a qualified therapist. The group things can't really "reach" you to make a difference, IMO. Also, it depends on your personality....if you are more type A -- in control, organized, a planner.....you will have a harder time going really deep than if you are more laid-back, go-with-the-flow type of person.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:38 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
A lot of people seem to think that hypnosis is the way to get people to say or do something. Sometimes police use it to try to bring out details from a witness who cant seem to remember something, or something is vague otherwise and its for a good purpose.
But Ive also heard, that some people's desire to make a person say or do something they would normally not do, if its not something they would normally say or do in waking life, they wont do it, or it backfires. So trying to make someone rob a bank or have sex with you (youd be surprised at what the measures some people take!) it wont work.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:41 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,920,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
So trying to make someone rob a bank or have sex with you (youd be surprised at what the measures some people take!) it wont work.
Damn! there goes my plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics