Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:17 PM

926 posts, read 1,460,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Boones Farm- teenage memories of staking out 7-11s and waiting for an "of age" guy to come along to buy it for us. Cost about a buck a bottle. And of chugging it from the bottle and throwing it up out the car window- that Strawberry Hill left such a nasty streak down the side of the car...explain that to the folks.

Now the music you mentioned makes me want to go shoot pool and drink beer. Eight ball anyone? Play ya for beers!

ROFL...yer on, girl!!

I think I'll order Boones Farm tonight at my xBIL's retirement party just to see the look on the bartenders face. When they say they don't even know what that is, I'll say, "What kind of rinky-dinky po-dunk dive is this that doesn't serve fine wines?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 09:00 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
This thread triggered a few memories! Layla, along with Procol Harum's Conquistador which were widely popular at the time remind me of Elm St. in Manchester, NH cruisin' for wimmen.

The Guess Who and Grass Roots remind me of the same, dukester. drankin' on the back roads. Only the drink of choice for us was Schlitz. All the rest applies, though.

To this day, sometimes when standing by a lake I can smell pot. It's surely the decaying stuff along the shoreline, but it takes me to the Boston Garden and many a smoke-filled room listening to J. Geils and other bands of the day.

Strangely, I've never really been bothered by the smell of a skunk. It simply reminds me of Molson Ale and the many assorted events that accompanied that fine amber brew.

The mimeograph aroma: Though In haven't been around it in years, I can imagine it right this minute. I always liked it too. Wanted to just snuggle right up to that purple print!

Great thread! Keep it going folks!

Old 05-05-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
This thread triggered a few memories! Layla, along with Procol Harum's Conquistador which were widely popular at the time remind me of Elm St. in Manchester, NH cruisin' for wimmen.

The Guess Who and Grass Roots remind me of the same, dukester. drankin' on the back roads. Only the drink of choice for us was Schlitz. All the rest applies, though.

To this day, sometimes when standing by a lake I can smell pot. It's surely the decaying stuff along the shoreline, but it takes me to the Boston Garden and many a smoke-filled room listening to J. Geils and other bands of the day.

Strangely, I've never really been bothered by the smell of a skunk. It simply reminds me of Molson Ale and the many assorted events that accompanied that fine amber brew.

The mimeograph aroma: Though In haven't been around it in years, I can imagine it right this minute. I always liked it too. Wanted to just snuggle right up to that purple print!

Great thread! Keep it going folks!

Ah yes, memories like a good friend that you haven't seen in years...

When I think of Procol; Harem, I gotta go with a Whiter Shade Of Pale, but Conquistidor was awesome too

Do you remember the first time that you heard a system with quadrophonic? Imagine...different sounds coming from 4 speakers...amazing at the time, wasn't it? I heard Santana's Black Magic Woman through quad the first time, and was just amazed!!

Never got into Molson here in Ohio, but I have to say, I NEVER tasted a good Heineken...talk about skunk juice...whoo-EEE

OOOOH, I just remembered a smell that will take you back...popping a roll of caps with a rock on the sidewalk!

Old 05-05-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
but it takes me to the Boston Garden and many a smoke-filled room listening to J. Geils and other bands of the day.
Who can ever forget the line from the Full House LP, "Take out your false teeth Momma, I want to suck on your gums"...sigh, they just don't have romanticism like that these days

Old 05-05-2007, 09:48 PM

Caps on the sidewalk! Oh yeah!

And how about those old gas pumps with what looked like gum balls dancin' around? For some reason petrol never smelled so sweet.

And yes, Peter Wolfe was a rock & roll poet. No doubt about that. The live intro to I must've Got lost is another classic example.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Caps on the sidewalk! Oh yeah!

And how about those old gas pumps with what looked like gum balls dancin' around? For some reason petrol never smelled so sweet.

And yes, Peter Wolfe was a rock & roll poet. No doubt about that. The live intro to I must've Got lost is another classic example.
I remember the gum ball gas pumps too. When I was only 14, I would go down to the corner Owens Gas Station and would pump gas, check the oil, clean the windshield, (ADDED bonus while cleaning the windshields was that you could look in at Peggy Sue sitting on that bench seat in the car while you were doing that and she wouldn't even know you were looking at her...yeah BayBee!!), and the owner would give me about $.50 an hour. I could work any day that either someone called in sick or they got real busy. He would sit inside while I did this, and it never even dawned on me that I was doing the work and he was making out by, 'hiring', cheap labor, but it didn't matter because I had a blast doing it. You are right about the smell of that gas too, I loved that smell back then. Back then, "fifty cent wuffa Ethol", and you could drive all day long in those classic old muscle cars.

If we didn't have any money, which was the norm, we would scan the neighborhood for pop bottles and could get a penny for 12 ounce bottles, and 2 cents for the 16 ounce bottles. After we collected enough of them, we would take them back to the carry-out and cash them in. A lot of times, we would get a 16 ounce Pepsi and a licorice stick and sit outside the carry out and use the licorice stick as a straw. SOMETIMES, if we did exceptionally good in our business of collecting the bottles, we would buy baseball cards and sit there and swap them out. Of course the cards that weren't very good were destined to wind up in our bikes back tire spokes for that motorcycle sound effect.

Lincoln log candy needs to make a comeback!! The hard outer shell candy with peanut butter inside...yummers!!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:14 AM

We used clothes pins to hold those cards in place. I'm guessing you did that too. The more cards, the badder the bike.

Another trigger: The Ronettes' Be My Baby takes me back to a Saturday a.m. bowling league I was in. I was 11 or 12 and this is where all the cool kids (13 and up) hung out. The song was always on the juke box along with early Beatles #s, but it's the Ronettes that stood out. There wasn't a better song anywhere. Ever! Phil Spector may be laughable today, but back in the mid 60s, no one was making better pop records. I digress a bit here, but reminiscing kinda does that to me.

Strangely, I don't remember Lincoln Log candy. Lincoln Logs -yes, candy - no.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Strangely, I don't remember Lincoln Log candy. Lincoln Logs -yes, candy - no.
Maybe it was because we hoarded them all here in Ohio.

Yes, youth bowling was a blast, and so is adult bowling now. I don't understand why they don't play music in the adult leagues, I would LOVE that! Human Pin Setters were just a tad before my time, but man that would have been a horrible job, ya think?

Old 05-06-2007, 08:25 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,359,944 times
My Mum's perfume ... Beautiful by Estee Lauder

Also the smell of a pub before it opens. That reminds me so much of my beloved Aunty Margaret. I grew up in that pub and it holds so many special memories. Warmth and a sense of belonging. ahhhhhhh

The local county fair ... popcorn, hotdogs, french fries and all the sounds ...

Old 05-06-2007, 08:33 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
My brother and I would pop the bubbles in the pavement, when it was really hot and watch the oil ooze out, ah the smell of blacktop. I loved Pop caps. I remember the smell and taste of honeysuckle, we would pull one off the vine and suck the juice out.

Great thread and I remember lincoln log candy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics