U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I Want To Upgrade My Home, I Turn to...
Lowe's 30 45.45%
Home Depot 11 16.67%
I Like Them Both Roughly the Same 17 25.76%
I Prefer to Shop at Mom-and-Pop Stores 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:07 AM

31,586 posts, read 71,723,190 times

Advertisements

This is the first in a series of polls that I hope will spark a lively debate for we shopaholics and the rationale behind our purchase decisions. Please vote and then post a reply explaining why you chose the option you did. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 11:12 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,637,069 times
I voted for Lowe's
I am happier with the customer service I receive there than when I go to Home Depot.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 15,399,270 times
Same as Popsrock here. Voted Lowe's.

BUT...... I have to go way out of my way to get to a Lowe's, and I have several Home Depots not so far out so, whereas I would PREFER Lowe's because I do like it better when I have gone way out there, I usually end up in Home Depot!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
I voted for Lowe's
I am happier with the customer service I receive there than when I go to Home Depot.
I've worked at Lowe's now for the past two years (don't let that influence any of your votes!), and I find customer service, in my area at least, to be about the same in both stores. What I can tell you though is that we all try to help our customers, but during peak hours the ratio of customers to associates is just simply too high to make a positive impression on everyone. I'm especially dreading working in the garden center this upcoming Memorial Day weekend. I like helping people on a one-to-one basis, not a ten-to-one, so perhaps I should look into applying at a local mom-and-pop garden center.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I've worked at Lowe's now for the past two years (don't let that influence any of your votes!), and I find customer service, in my area at least, to be about the same in both stores. What I can tell you though is that we all try to help our customers, but during peak hours the ratio of customers to associates is just simply too high to make a positive impression on everyone. I'm especially dreading working in the garden center this upcoming Memorial Day weekend. I like helping people on a one-to-one basis, not a ten-to-one, so perhaps I should look into applying at a local mom-and-pop garden center.
I have been in Home Depot and been talked down to many times.
I don't like that.. and it has never happened at Lowe's

Old 05-09-2007, 11:22 AM

13,636 posts, read 22,968,935 times
Smile Look out Lowes, here I come!

I checked Lowes, because that is our only choice. I would rather spend an afternoon at Lowes than shopping for a new outfit. I just love it. First I browse the lighting, then the wallpaper and home decor, then flooring then.......During the outdoor months I hardly ever go inside because then I spend hours in the garden center.I wonder sometimes why no one likes to go shopping with me

Old 05-09-2007, 11:23 AM

3,700 posts, read 13,896,671 times
Lowe's - even though I have to drive out of my way to get to one

Old 05-09-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I have been in Home Depot and been talked down to many times.
I don't like that.. and it has never happened at Lowe's
We have a very good on-going training program in place via a program called the "Lowe's Learning Center" on the computers in our training room. We all can set up our own personalized "learning plans" and enroll in just about any course we which. Each course takes roughly ten minutes, usually has hands-on scenarios, and is finished with a brief quiz to test what we have learned. Hell, before I took those tests I didn't even know the difference between an annual and a perennial! Now I can tell people how to build a decorative retaining wall using our 12" CastleWall bricks. I'd imagine Home Depot might have similar programs, but I don't know how much their employees utilize them.

I'm still only in my first month at the garden center (after two years as a cart grunt), but I'm learning so much. I can't wait to test my own expertise this Mother's Day when I plan to surprise my mother by adding a new landscaping area to the hillside in our front lawn with a wooden lighthouse figurine, ground cover, assorted perennials, some decorative retaining wall blocks and edgers, and hopefully some blue mulch to give the lighthouse the appearance of being on the water's edge (if I can find any blue mulch around here!)

Old 05-09-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
We have a very good on-going training program in place via a program called the "Lowe's Learning Center" on the computers in our training room. We all can set up our own personalized "learning plans" and enroll in just about any course we which. Each course takes roughly ten minutes, usually has hands-on scenarios, and is finished with a brief quiz to test what we have learned. Hell, before I took those tests I didn't even know the difference between an annual and a perennial! Now I can tell people how to build a decorative retaining wall using our 12" CastleWall bricks. I'd imagine Home Depot might have similar programs, but I don't know how much their employees utilize them.

I'm still only in my first month at the garden center (after two years as a cart grunt), but I'm learning so much. I can't wait to test my own expertise this Mother's Day when I plan to surprise my mother by adding a new landscaping area to the hillside in our front lawn with a wooden lighthouse figurine, ground cover, assorted perennials, some decorative retaining wall blocks and edgers, and hopefully some blue mulch to give the lighthouse the appearance of being on the water's edge (if I can find any blue mulch around here!)
WOW!!
Hey, I am closing on a house next week, wanna come try uyour green thumb out on my backyard?!?! Yippie!!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
WOW!!
Hey, I am closing on a house next week, wanna come try uyour green thumb out on my backyard?!?! Yippie!!
Gimme plane tickets to St. Louis and a blank check to spend at the garden center, and I'll see what I can whip up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics