U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:16 PM

454 posts, read 1,356,640 times

Advertisements

I was at home depot this evening....and went inside to purchase an item and within a matter of a few minutes, my battery had drained (left lights on).
i had a jumper cable that i took out of my trunk and saw a black guy a few cars away who was getting ready to go to home depot. i said: "excuse me, would you mind giving me a jump please?" showing him the cables.
he looked at me for a few seconds and said: "mmm.....i don't think so".
i was shocked...i said " you won't help me?" he said "nahhh...."

i just shook my head in disbelief as a lady a few cars away yelled "i will help you...don't worry."
she came over and within about 45 seconds, my car was up and going.

i just couldn't believe what happened and even though it may seem like a small thing, it left a big impression (negative one obviously).

has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 PM

8,292 posts, read 25,495,167 times
^ Some people are just butts.

Myself, it would depend on the circumstances. The one you described would be an absolute no-brainer. Absolutely, I'd help!

On the other hand, if I was on the Interstate and my wife & daughter were riding with me, I'd be a bit more hesitant to help somebody whose car is stalled.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:47 PM

19,056 posts, read 24,164,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
^ Some people are just butts.

Myself, it would depend on the circumstances. The one you described would be an absolute no-brainer. Absolutely, I'd help!

On the other hand, if I was on the Interstate and my wife & daughter were riding with me, I'd be a bit more hesitant to help somebody whose car is stalled.
That reminds of the movie hitch hiker. I'd pause as well.

Any way, somebody broke down in front of our home tonight (we live on a busy road). The dh and I decided to invite him in while he waited for the tow truck, but he didn't want to miss it, so he stayed with his car. I probably wouldn't have done that if I were home alone. Help at the home depot? Of course.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 PM

42,661 posts, read 82,566,754 times
Of course I'd help. Every time. Why not? People have done it for me, too.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 PM

4,502 posts, read 12,970,552 times
In your situation I would have given a jump. I don't know why the first guy was so rude about it, but what can you do? I'm glad the other lady offered to help you.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,150 posts, read 8,267,810 times
Dude was an As$ very simple
9 out of 10 probably would help in that situation just not Mister
'I'm to cool to help"

Old 01-04-2010, 06:29 PM

620 posts, read 1,246,915 times
Was including his ethnicity really relevant to the story? Some people are selfish butt heads who are only concerned about their time and their wants. It was unfortunate that he didn't assist you.

A lady parked next to me in the parking garage had left her lights on and she had run out of battery, so I offered to help her. Unfortunately, both of us knew nothing about how to get to my battery in my PT Cruiser so she had to find someone else to help her.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 PM

79,126 posts, read 73,155,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
I was at home depot this evening....and went inside to purchase an item and within a matter of a few minutes, my battery had drained (left lights on).
i had a jumper cable that i took out of my trunk and saw a black guy a few cars away who was getting ready to go to home depot. i said: "excuse me, would you mind giving me a jump please?" showing him the cables.
he looked at me for a few seconds and said: "mmm.....i don't think so".
i was shocked...i said " you won't help me?" he said "nahhh...."

i just shook my head in disbelief as a lady a few cars away yelled "i will help you...don't worry."
she came over and within about 45 seconds, my car was up and going.

i just couldn't believe what happened and even though it may seem like a small thing, it left a big impression (negative one obviously).

has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?
No, I haven't, but what a jerk!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,181,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
Was including his ethnicity really relevant to the story?
thought the same thing.

and it depends, everybody heres sayin omg yes i would always. a lot of things factor into that decision and sometimes u just dont feel like it. other times the guy (or woman) might look suspect so u hesitate.
if it was a hot woman though, yes, and every time

Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 PM

16,199 posts, read 52,960,522 times
Depends, the guy may have come from a rough area where this would probably be the opening ploy in a carjacking or whatever. Girl distracts driver, he gets under his hood to hook up jumper cables with usually his door open, car running, keys in ignition, guy jumps in car and drives away.

I bet it's been done.

The guy's ethnicity might be relevant to him coming from a rough environment. If you pick a Black dude and a White dude at random, most of the time the Black dude grew up in a rougher environment, particularly if there is a city center nearby.

Me, it's totally dependant on who's with me, what I am driving, the area, the person asking for a jump, phase of the moon, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics