Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:45 AM

973 posts, read 3,307,302 times

Advertisements

Talking with friends and family, most of us say what we really think and use whatever words or phrases come to mind. When in public, however, a lot of folks are so scared of saying something that will inadvertantly offend someone that we often say little to nothing.

For example: I am white and have no problem being referred to as such but a person I was talking to recently referred to me as caucasion. Personally, I found it humorous but didn't say anything about it. I realized they were trying to NOT offend me. If somebody calls me "Young Lady," I'm thrilled, not upset. It's better the other alternatives!
Someone being considerate is great but I don't worry about it if someone isn't P.C.

1. Do you think people are too obsessed with being PC? Do you
get tired of it?

2. Do you practice being PC in private conversations with friends or family
as well as in public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 11:05 AM

641 posts, read 2,372,191 times
How can I be tired of it when I'm not PC in the first place?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:06 AM

44,658 posts, read 61,714,444 times
#1- Yes...
#2- No & yes...

Old 10-08-2008, 11:37 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,617,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
1. Do you think people are too obsessed with being PC? Do you
get tired of it?

2. Do you practice being PC in private conversations with friends or family
as well as in public?
1. WAY TO OBSESSED. I'm sick and tired of it.

2. HELL NO. If I can't speak my true feelings, why bother talking.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:50 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,552,856 times
1...Yes I get very very tired of it.

2...At work I have to be very PC as I'm public employee...taxpayers $$ blah blah blah. Amongst family and friends then no. If someone asked offended by something I said, I'll ask them what was offensive about it and then we talk it out. If they took something I said out of context and got offended, that's not my problem. But we can talk about it.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:10 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,913,740 times
I believe people need to express themselves in conversations with family and friends however there are some words or comments that are unacceptable. I’m not speaking of words like “young lady” or “gals” etc. I’m talking about words or phases that are or can be “hot” comments or labels. Sometimes it’s not the word but how the emphasis is made when using it.

Isn’t it time that as a society where people gather together both family, friends and more that we get beyond the use of labels that are mean and nasty? Speaking freely and speaking one’s mind should be acceptable however negative terms and words can be used that are not necessary, hateful, or degrading. Some things are said just to be fun or make fun of an issue, most of which don’t add any “value” to conversations with others.

Too many times we talk about or make fun of people, I’d like to have grown in my life beyond that. Again,,, most comments or words can easily be used and said without a problem ~ it’s the way you say them.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:22 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,707,258 times
Yes, so tired of the PC!!!
It makes people phony and not truthful!!
I mean one saying something nice to just appease them and not wanting to offend them and not being honest whatever the circumstance may be, will in my books that is lying.....

Like with children telling them they are doing something just wonderful in maybe something like playing a sport and the poor kid is confused...why? Because he can't do it... but everyone is telling him, he is doing a great job...because they don't want to hurt their feelings... Hello!! My goodness that is leading a child in the wrong direction.

Also with PC, that all children should be treated equal... their not equal, they have their own little prints of who they are and they need to find out who that little person is and going to be one day!!!

I guess I grew up in a time when I knew something wasn't my thing and because of the adults in my life taught me and directed me (not being PC)in the things that I excelled at and failed at.

And no I don't play the PC game with anyone, family, friends, associate... in private or public conversation. I'm not going to tell something to someone that is a lie (PC) about what I may believe or not because of fear of offending them!

We are all different in race, personalities, up bringing, with different likes and dislikes and because someone doesn't agree with me doesn't mean I need to appease them by being PC!!
But of course I will not go out of my way by saying something to offend someone... I just won't say anything!!!! Rather than deceive someone!!
And if possibly I may have offend, that is not my intentions, then talk to me... will work it out and if that doesn't work we will have to agree to disagree and go our separate ways....
But remember don't ask me.... if you really don't want too know!!! Because I will be honest with you...(not PC) to the best of my knowledge and it will not be spoken in any unkind way!!!

I'm Curly.. not the next poster and that is what makes me Curly!! And that has taught me much respect in that we are all different and that is what makes the world beautiful....

Old 10-08-2008, 12:38 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
1. Do you think people are too obsessed with being PC? Do you get tired of it?

WAY too obsessed with the "PC" idea.

2. Do you practice being PC in private conversations with friends or family as well as in public?

I have a hard enough time being semi-PC in public conversations, so, no I am not PC in conversations with friends or family. I can manage about a 15% share of PC in public conversations, beyond that can't do it. Now that is NOT to say I am rude or vulgar. I don't use the wildly offensive words or phrases that some of my forefathers used, simply because they are not acceptable in modern conversation. Just like I don't call someone "gay" if they are having a good time and are happy, like was the usage of that word not too long ago.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:46 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,939,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
How can I be tired of it when I'm not PC in the first place?
Ha!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:48 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,285,095 times
Yeah, I'm tired of the whole idea. There are certain things that it's just common knowledge that they would be offensive. Outside of those...gimme a break, ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics