U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 AM

8,231 posts, read 13,398,508 times

Advertisements

In the news it seems like I'm always hearing things like "americans want big cars" or all my favorite tv pilots and 1st season tv shows get cancelled because of Nielson ratings or I go shopping for X in malls full of clothes that are ugly and don't fit and things that aren't designed well.

And it doesn't seem like companies want to hear the input (how many times have I checked a website and can't find a survey or contact us) yet there is all this whining about retail sales being low.

In fairness I've seen some retailers like Lands End have a ratings system now - probably in self defense because of Amazon and speciality forums (say coffee lovers discussing coffee makers). I love Amazon's comments.
So that's one bright spot.

Any company ever asked your opinion? Ever taken one of these mysterious survey's that result in "what americans want in X"? Known a Nielson family?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 AM

26,484 posts, read 26,259,432 times
Depending on the survey, Ive answered some. But there are areas where Ive given bogus answers because some of those questions are the same as some security questions and you never know where or who may have originally started some surveys. Some may call it paranioa, but I call it safety.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,160,907 times
Almost every time I go to Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, Meijer and Walmart I get a survey that not only ask for my input but enters me in a drawing for $1000-5000. I don't know if they really give away the money but I have received calls on at least 2 surveys where I had a negative remark.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 AM

8,231 posts, read 13,398,508 times
studedude - was the survey specific to something? Or a customer service survey? Who called?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:48 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,356,728 times
Back around 1995 I participated in the Neilson survey for TV. That was a fun experience.

I've participated in a few of those mall surveys. Once I had to preview future TV commercials for Sprite and another time it was to taste test cold medicine. Each time I got a 25 dollar mall gift card for my time.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 AM
NCN

21,168 posts, read 24,246,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
In the news it seems like I'm always hearing things like "americans want big cars" or all my favorite tv pilots and 1st season tv shows get cancelled because of Nielson ratings or I go shopping for X in malls full of clothes that are ugly and don't fit and things that aren't designed well.

And it doesn't seem like companies want to hear the input (how many times have I checked a website and can't find a survey or contact us) yet there is all this whining about retail sales being low.

In fairness I've seen some retailers like Lands End have a ratings system now - probably in self defense because of Amazon and speciality forums (say coffee lovers discussing coffee makers). I love Amazon's comments.
So that's one bright spot.

Any company ever asked your opinion? Ever taken one of these mysterious survey's that result in "what americans want in X"? Known a Nielson family?
My husband's sister made a statement to us right after she finished college. She said, "I used to think I am normal, but I now realize I am not." No, but she is a cut above the normal and evidently you are too.

I have also heard that you can tell about the economy at any time in history by the clothes. I am with you on that. When they make something pretty, I will buy it. I cannot get excited by a pair of floppy pants, a stretchy top and an ill-fitting jacket. If they change the styles and my favorite styles were the Charlie's Angel and the Dynasty era, they might save the economy. I like clothes that are comfortable, pretty, easy care, and hide everything they should to make me look my best. Showing off the mid section does not cut it. They don't even look good on the young. This poor generation has never seen pretty clothes.

I just saw the post above. Yes, I have answered the Neilson for a week. I guess we didn't watch enough TV because they never asked us again. Used to anyone who went inside the Eastland Mall at Charlotte got asked to do a survey. That could be why that mall closed. It was irritating. I did a couple and then I started saying no.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 AM

26,143 posts, read 29,836,847 times
I signed up with a company to be a mystery shopper where they pay you to go to XYZ place and evaluate everything from atmosphere, other shopper comments, personnel, quality of goods and service, and so on. Then fill out the questionaire online and send it in. It's kind of fun actually.

I never fill out surveys or take them on the phone if they have my name, address and/or phone number because it increases the junk mail and other survey people calling. Your name and address gets sold to Direct Mail Marketing Services.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 AM

12,110 posts, read 14,117,019 times
I do surveys all the time, both online and on the phone. I always call the company if I have a problem with a product of theirs ( get a lot of freebies that way, wink wink). I did the Neilson home thing way back when they paid $5.oo for each TV in the home. Have done a few paid survey's too. I would like to think that the company's are listing. I guess some do, some don't.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,918,910 times
I don't respond to those cold-call phone surveys, because most of the time it's really a marketing ploy and you'll get inundated with junk mail afterward, based on whatever it was you said you liked. I don't do the ones the stores ask you to take, either, the ones where you have to go online to reply; I don't want my email inbox to overflow with spam.

We've done the radio surveys a couple of times; I can't remember what the company is called, but it's like Nielson for radio stations. Each member of the family kept track of how many hours per day they listened to which radio stations over the course of a couple of weeks, then we sent in the results and we each got $5 for our trouble.

The way I convey my preferences to retailers and manufacturers is to vote with my feet. If I don't like the clothing styles in one particular year, I don't buy any clothes that year. I either repair what wears out so I can continue wearing it, or I make my own. I don't expect the world to alter to meet my preferences, but I won't march in lockstep with what "everyone else" is doing, buying, reading, watching and listening to just for the sake of following the trends.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:28 AM

31,304 posts, read 31,290,738 times
I’ve taken surveys but I don’t know if they use the information I’ve given. I like giving my opinion on issues and things, it’s the only way to “change” things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics