Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:09 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,282 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed how many of the news anchors today show their opinions and feelings about the topics they are presenting to the public? It may just be the trend for the area I live in, but I always thought that they were supposed to remain objective and stick to the facts. Most of the ones I watch on several different networks, insert their own personal opinion whether it be vocally, or by facial expression. I've also noticed that many newsteams like to play around and goof off during the broadcast. It just seems so unprofessional. I've about decided to quit watching the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 04:01 AM

926 posts, read 1,460,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
Has anyone noticed how many of the news anchors today show their opinions and feelings about the topics they are presenting to the public? It may just be the trend for the area I live in, but I always thought that they were supposed to remain objective and stick to the facts. Most of the ones I watch on several different networks, insert their own personal opinion whether it be vocally, or by facial expression. I've also noticed that many newsteams like to play around and goof off during the broadcast. It just seems so unprofessional. I've about decided to quit watching the news.
I think it's a sign of the times,,,everyone has an opinion, whether they have a clue what they are talking about or not. I hate it when the reporters are Mr or Ms Obvious and do interviews with grieving people, "Mrs Smith, your house burned down with all of your belongings...what are you feeling right now?"

Old 05-25-2007, 04:06 AM

217 posts, read 845,245 times
I've noticed it a bit even on CNN. It depends on what they're reporting about. Some of it's straight news and should be reported as such; other things I can understand an opinion. But, sometimes I think that you feel like you know them better if they have a personality and show it so you're more likely to watch them if you'd mesh with said personality. It's all personal preference. If you don't like it, you can always read the paper.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:34 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
i believe most of the news is opinionated,,not only in tone,,or obvious, its the slant of the story.. or which story is prioritized.
for years, i tried not to watch the news,,it was always depressing!! all we hear is the bad news,,,isnt thier any GOOD news in the world??

but in the last couple years,,,,trying to be informed about daily events, i have been watching the news, and here is one observation, that i believe is true,,,thier wouldnt be ANY conservative talk radio,,if the mainstream media was actually fair and balanced,,,thats how and why fox broke into a tough market,,because abc, cbs, and nbc, were so liberal leaning,,,,a few years ago,
thier was a "poll" of journalists, and reporters, and 93% of them were liberals or strictly of the democrat party,,,no wonder its moved to opinionated journalism,,,,and opened the door to fox, and conservative radio,

im no right wing nut,,i actually despised politics for most of my life(all bs, talk, no action)
but it seems,,,anytime the aclu,,or mainsteam press can dump on what made this country great,,or rip it apart,,they are right there, with glee.
when is the last time,,you heard,,"whats great about america"?????
the hard working generous people of this nation is what make america great,,,the freedoms we have to come from nothing and make something of ourselves,,
yes, we arent perfect,,no country is,,or have been,

Old 05-25-2007, 06:05 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukester2 View Post
I think it's a sign of the times,,,everyone has an opinion, whether they have a clue what they are talking about or not. I hate it when the reporters are Mr or Ms Obvious and do interviews with grieving people, "Mrs Smith, your house burned down with all of your belongings...what are you feeling right now?"
I remember during the early moments during 9/11 as the first tower was collapsing in the background and everyone was running we saw one reporter running beside someone and reporter had microphone in guys face and screaming "Why are you running, sir"? That was the "duh moment of the day".

Old 05-25-2007, 06:08 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I remember during the early moments during 9/11 as the first tower was collapsing in the background and everyone was running we saw one reporter running beside someone and reporter had microphone in guys face and screaming "Why are you running, sir"? That was the "duh moment of the day".
i make my living off the evening news, just give me something something i can use,, give us dirty laundry (don henley)
kick em when thier up...kick em when thier down,,

Old 05-25-2007, 12:30 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I like my news fast and hard. I certainly don't mind if an anchor smiles at the end of the story (it used to be so cute when Dan Rather's eyes would twinkle at the end of an end-of-the-broadcast semi-fluff story that he liked), but the chatting, fluff pieces, promos for the network prime time shows, and the blatant opinion have got to go.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:17 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,282 times
It must be a sign of the times. I was watching a local (Dallas) CBS station and this woman anchor, I hate to use her name, was interviewing Cybil Shepard about a charity she was there to promote. I can't remember the name of the charity, but the anchor began her questions to Cybil. She only asked about 3 questions regarding the charity, and then the anchor's excitement overcame her and she began asking Cybil questions about her current acting project and future prospects of what she would be doing in her career. Cybil finally stopped her and put her in her place by telling her that she was there to talk about ________ charity and not to talk about herself and her career. You should have seen how that shut that anchor up. I was proud of Cybil that day.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:01 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
I keep noticing this too. I also wondered if it was just out here. It's getting annoying as it's getting worse. They are becoming a bit too comfortable sharing their opinions.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:54 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
I like to catch up with the world in the early morning. I start with CNN headline news, then switch to a local station for local news and weather. For the most part, I don't mind their being friendly and joking around when there's a stupid criminal or idiot celebrity item, but, every day, the 2 anchors - a female news person and a male weather person - have to comment on how well they get along. Give me a break! What? Are they going to tell us they fight like cats and dogs when the camera's not on? Ridiculous.

Thanks. I feel much better now. :-}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics