Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:21 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times

Advertisements

Do you remember when:

All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?
It took five minutes for the TV warm up?
Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school?
Nobody owned a purebred dog?
When a quarter was a decent allowance?
You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?
Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?
All your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels?
You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?
Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?
It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?
They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed ... and they did?
When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady?
No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?
Lying on your back in the grass with your friends and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a .."and playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game?
Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?
And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace, and share it with the children of today?
When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home? Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc.
Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.
Remember Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Laurel and Hardy, Howdy Doody and the Peanut Gallery, the Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows, Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.
As well as summers filled with bike rides, baseball games, Hula Hoops, bowling and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar. Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, "Yeah, I remember that"?
I am sharing this with you today because it ended with a double dog dare to pass it on.
To remember what a double dog dare is, read on.
And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between old enough to know better and too young to care.
How many of these do you remember?(A continuation of Are you older than dirt..LOL).
Candy cigarettes.
Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.
Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles.
Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes.
Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum.
Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers.
Newsreels before the movie.
P.F. Fliers.
Party lines.
Peashooters.
Howdy Dowdy.
45 RPM records.
Green Stamps.
Hi-Fi's.
Metal ice cubes trays with levers.
Mimeograph paper.
Beanie and Cecil.
Roller-skate keys.
Cork pop guns.
Drive ins.
Studebakers.
Washtub wringers.
The Fuller Brush Man.
Reel-To-Reel tape recorders.
Tinkertoys.
Erector Sets.
The Fort Apache Play Set.
Lincoln Logs.
15 cent McDonald hamburgers.
Penny candy.
35 cent a gallon gasoline.
Jiffy Pop popcorn.
Telephone numbers with a word prefix....(Raymond 4-601).
5 cent packs of baseball cards - with that awful pink slab of bubble gum.
Do you remember a time when...
Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-moe"?
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do Over!"? "Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest?
Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?
It wasn't odd to have two or three "Best Friends"?
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"?
Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?
A foot of snow was a dream come true?
Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?
"Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense? Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?
The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?
War was a card game?
Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?
Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?
If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!
Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their "grown-up" life ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,452,289 times
My daughter and her friends guffawed over the ugly gym uniforms in the movie based on Beatles tunes, Across the Universe. They were actually 'attractive' -- red shorts with white blouses, white socks and Keds. We had to wear those awful one-piece deals that snapped up the front, and had elastic in the bloomers inside the shorts' legs, and elastic across the back to cinch the waist (Ok for the trim girls, but most unattractive on the poor, heavier gals). Ours were burgundy, and we had to carry them home the end of every week, wash them for the next. . . by the end of a semester, they were the ugliest 'pink' they had been washed so much.

In HS, I could get a soft drink, a pack of nabs, and a pack of peanuts for $0.50. Can you even get a canned soft drink for fifty cents?

I hated falling asleep on the sofa, in front of the TV, on a Friday or Saturday night (the only two nights I didn't really have a bedtime -- just had to be up by 7:00 a.m.). Falling asleep meant waking up about midnight to the awful test pattern and that scratching, hissing, static-ky sound on the set. And it was always so much louder than the sound on the shows, you know.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
It's raining today, and as I was driving it brought back memories in days of yore of the old style windshield wipers that ran off a vacumn from the engine. And sometimes you had to reach out the window and work the wipers by hand.
Anyone remember those days.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
Keds, summer, red or blue. I usually chose red, one summer I chose blue and didn't like the color as much, next year, back to red.
Seatbelts? Did cars have them?
Studebaker was our car, once my Dad bought a Studebaker President.
I was not afraid of abduction, getting my bike stolen, being bullied.
Mom was there when I came home for lunch and after school.
Cake, pie , soda, candy, popsicles, were treats, not everday food.
I was loved, treated well, taken care of, life was good.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:54 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,006,642 times
Green River soda
Drugstore lunch counters

Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,985 times
Nylons stockings during WWII were not nylon and they had 'seams' down the back.
Many women wore aprons while cooking
Women wore gloves for most social settings
Hats were worn by men and women. No, not the backward baseball caps!
Little girls wore dresses to school
We wore 'leggings' during cold weather.
Pearls were the jewelry of choice. Matching earrings of course.
Ankle bracelets were worn by 'naughty' girls.
Very few females wore their hair short. And pig tails were popular. The hair style, folks. Not food.
Most of my teachers were considered 'old maids'.
Mumbly peg, game played by the boys. Mumblety-peg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the sun was shining and it was raining across the street, it was because the devil was beating his wife!

Page-boy hair styles for young girls. Butch cuts for the boys.
Even I, as a young girl, could work on my first car at the local filling station. Heck, there wasn't much under the hood. V-8 straight, distributor, spark plugs, radiator, double barrel carb. , battery. And so much space around all of this!

No ratings for movies. But many parents wouldn't let their children go see .........'.Scandalous for it's time, "The Outlaw" directed by Howard Hughes, is the story of Billy the Kid, Doc Holiday, and Pat Garrett. The plot is thin at best, but we are introduced to a 22 year old Jane Russell which makes the film almost worthwhile.'

We put on Christmas plays, sang carols at school and there was no one who took umbrage at this.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:27 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,183,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
It's raining today, and as I was driving it brought back memories in days of yore of the old style windshield wipers that ran off a vacumn from the engine. And sometimes you had to reach out the window and work the wipers by hand.
Anyone remember those days.

I have to believe this is way before everyones time

Old 01-20-2010, 04:34 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,351 times
I remember the round TV screen, and stations which came on around 3:00 in the afternoon and went off by 9:00. That was the only station in our area.
Reruns were a normal event with the only thing changing each day was the local news. Some of it might have been repeated.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:42 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,700,004 times
Chocolate egg cream sodas and red hots.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:37 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Red slider turtles in Woolworth's, pet department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics