Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,582 times

Advertisements

General Rant

I paid $8.80 for Priority-Certified Mail Return Receipt. When I paid this money, I assumed my package would be delivered in about three days and you would email me a copy of the signed return receipt. Now, some two weeks later you have really pissed me off because the last known whereabouts of my package is at the recipient post office five days after shipment.. First, you tell me I have sent non-traceable mail. fter waiting 48 hours for you to research this problem and the resolution is for me to call the originating and recipient post offices to locate my package. Wait, shouldn't that be what you should be doing as the servicer at the request of the payer.

So you tell me I must wait 30 days to request a mandatory return-receipt in which I would pay a $4.65 fee. Really!! I vow to use my last stamps purchased and I will never mail another item via USPS. I would rather pay the $8 or $9 to UPS or Fedex who provide better service, a guarantee and delivery confirmation.

I am on fire!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Is there any chance that the package you sent was caught up in all of the snow storms back east?

Not a lot of mail moving back there at times.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:58 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Yup, happened to me as well. A few years ago, I sent off a check for a commercial property tax payment (in the low six figures) via Certified Mail, Return-Receipt-Requested, and the last and only record the postal service had for it was the point when they accepted the envelope. They had no record of it ever leaving the facility where I took it, let alone reaching the city of destination. The clerk darn near had a heart attack when I came back to request a tracer on the envelope, bringing a photocopy of the check with me.

Funny thing was that the check actually arrived on time at its correct destination. I check the bank account daily, and it cleared within a week of when I sent it. So I guess you could say that technically it didn't actually get lost, but for a while the post office thought that it did.

And the real giggle is that they want another postal rate increase again.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 PM

That probably is the reason it slowed down the package arriving to its destination city but not the reason for my problem; the packaged was headed out west. The package status is that the destination city post office is in receipt of the package but no tracing occurred from that point.

I face a double whammy in that I cannot verify receipt of delivery to the recipient until a certain amount of days have passed (per their request). So I have this very important package where I have no idea where it is at and at the mercy of USPS to hopefully fulfill their obligation of services which I paid for (apparently paying for them does not obligate them to do anything). I can only hope that the item was actually delivered and the issue is that the delivery person just did not get the scan/signature part done.

Nevertheless, I guess this is my fault because I should have gone with FedEx or UPS and not bothered with using USPS. Lesson learned.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 PM

I had an overnight package being sent to my home address that was very important because of the content and the timeliness needed. It arrived at my location however I wasn’t home to receive it; a note was left on the front door. I called the number on the note and asked if it would be provided the next day on delivery, the answer was NO I had to pick it up at their location.

The sender charged me “extra†for tracking and overnight delivery, and yet I had to pick up the package myself and drive across town the next day to received the item. This was FEDEX and their policy. I disliked the idea that I paid extra for overnight service and they wouldn’t attempt to deliver the package the next day because no one was home. I try not to use FedEx because of this reason. UPS has lost and/or damaged my other shipping in years past so I avoid them as much as possible. So I’m back to using the USPS and so far I’ve been given excellent service, but I do understand people have issues and problems with them, guess I’m lucky.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
The package status is that the destination city post office is in receipt of the package but no tracing occurred from that point.

I face a double whammy in that I cannot verify receipt of delivery to the recipient until a certain amount of days have passed (per their request). So I have this very important package where I have no idea where it is at and at the mercy of USPS to hopefully fulfill their obligation of services which I paid for (apparently paying for them does not obligate them to do anything). I can only hope that the item was actually delivered and the issue is that the delivery person just did not get the scan/signature part done.
I have encountered the same problem in the past. I sent a letter via certified mail with a return receipt. Never got the green card back and the PO shows it was never picked up. Sent a second letter to same address. PO shows it was never picked up. However got the green card back without a siganture. Sent a third letter. This time I got the green card back with a signature. Funny thing is the PO showed it was never picked up. I finally got the PO to admit they were simply putting the certified mail in the recipient's box and leaving it up to whoever picked it up to tear off the green card and return it.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 AM

A friend’s daughter is getting married. He took a wedding invitation to the P.O. and showed it to the clerk and asked “if I’m mailing this sized envelope invitation to others what is the charge for doing that”. It was a large square type envelope. They told him it would take two stamps for each mailing. He bought enough stamps to send them out.

That night they put the stamps (two each) on the invitations and mailed them the next morning. About two days later when they went to their mailbox outside, they found that the letter carrier dropped off a large open box in front of their mailbox with all of the invitations returned. It has been raining lightly during the day and naturally everything got wet.

He took them to the post office and talked with the same clerk who had helped him a few days before. Asking why did they get returned? The clerk checked and said that the weight of each invitation was higher then normal. The two stamps would cover the size but the weight was not accounted for on the first day of questions. It required another stamp thus making the postage over a $1.25 each.

Many of the invitations were too wet and couldn’t be salvaged. He’s talking with the postmaster general here locally about the issue. It’s crazy that this type of problem has to happen but it will occur from time to time. One mistake after another made a big mess out of something that should not have been, especially when he had checked with them first.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:11 PM

Unfortunately, I found out today that it is likely that my package was not scanned and simply delivered. This brings me no piece of mind. At this point, I can only wait and hope the delivery was successful and wait the alloted amount of time before I can inquire to the recipient. This really put a bad taste in my mouth regarding using USPS for sensitive mail. I do understand that millions of pieces of mail are handled and distributed with no problem but a choice of clerk not to scan the label and get the signature was a huge inconvenience to me.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:45 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Service from any multitude of companies have been in serious decline for years. I don't know if the people who work there just don't care or if management is stupid.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:39 PM

24,470 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Similar thread here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...when-will.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics