U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:39 AM

29,214 posts, read 52,428,884 times

Advertisements

Everyday Appliances May Pose Hidden Danger to Children.

Arkansas police believe 18-month-old Clifton Kirk crawled into his family's dishwasher this past week -- and his brother, fascinated with the machine, then closed the door, restarting an already activated cycle.

ABC News: Deadly Kitchens: Kids Can Face Peril
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 01:15 PM

15,607 posts, read 39,156,112 times
That is so sad. I never thought about the dishwasher. I have always been cautious regarding the oven, the fridge and my washer/dryer. In fact, the only thing I worried about with the dishwasher was having the kids open the door and stand on it. We all have to be really mindful of what kinds of things kids can get into. Very sad story.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:14 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,914,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Everyday Appliances May Pose Hidden Danger to Children.

Arkansas police believe 18-month-old Clifton Kirk crawled into his family's dishwasher this past week -- and his brother, fascinated with the machine, then closed the door, restarting an already activated cycle.

ABC News: Deadly Kitchens: Kids Can Face Peril
That's awful!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:29 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,446,531 times
How exactly does an 18 month old crawl In to a dishwasher? My daughter was tiny at 18 months (18 pounds) and still would not have fit in there...without some help.

Reading the editorial comments, someone is arguing that "you can't watch" the kids 24/7...
Uhm, guess what? I have gates up to keep my daughter out of places that I feel might be dangerous to her...the kitchen is one of those places. The laundry room is another.

And at 18 months old, you should know where that child is, 24/7.

Something sounds wrong here.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:36 AM

79 posts, read 264,351 times
Todlers are quick, they can get into anything at any time, I raised 3 boys, and I had to have eyes in the back of my head at all times, and still, they managed to do things that were unbelievable, for instance, we love to go fishing, so happens , my middle son(7 years) is learning how to cast a rod and reel, my first son is teaching him,(11 years) as my middle son casts, the hook grabs my oldest son in the lip, needless to say, the oldest learned not to stand behind someone and teach them how to cast a rod and reel...

I feel so sad for these parents.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:37 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,446,531 times
Police: Toddler Died Inside Dishwasher, 18-Month-Old Trapped In Appliance That Started Running When Door Closed - CBS News

Here's more on the story...

Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 AM

2,071 posts, read 11,642,975 times
My sister kept her OTC's in a cabinet over the stove. She went outside for 2 minutes and her 2 year old managed to find a chair, climb up and ingest several OTC's. 2 year old is now 23 years old ......... and doing fine. You cannot take your eye off those babies ever.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:26 AM

15,809 posts, read 25,076,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
How exactly does an 18 month old crawl In to a dishwasher? My daughter was tiny at 18 months (18 pounds) and still would not have fit in there...without some help.

Reading the editorial comments, someone is arguing that "you can't watch" the kids 24/7...
Uhm, guess what? I have gates up to keep my daughter out of places that I feel might be dangerous to her...the kitchen is one of those places. The laundry room is another.

And at 18 months old, you should know where that child is, 24/7.

Something sounds wrong here.
But SURELY you're not suggesting that whichever adult was responsible for this child at the time this occurred may be to blame for not paying attention??/sarcasm

Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,976,786 times
My daughter couldn't get into the kitchen at all, I had a gate across the doorway...she was coralled in an area that had been child proofed and confined so I could see her even if I was in the kitchen...

Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 AM

15,809 posts, read 25,076,367 times
Why wasn't there a locking device on the dishwasher by the way? My parents' dishwasher has a clasp that can only be operated from the outside, and if it isn't engaged the machine doesn't run.

I have a mini washer that sits on top of the kitchen counter so this isn't an issue in my home, but I just cannot see this happening without someone on the outside to shut the machine (picture an 18 month old already inside the dishwasher with probably not much room to move - how does he swing the door shut?). This seems fishy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics