Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 AM

162 posts, read 543,887 times

Advertisements

There is something I have been wondering for a while now. I don't consider myself a nudist, naturist, or anything like that. However, I do enjoy relaxing in a hot tub or sauna in the buff. I have lived for many years in Europe where this doesn't seem to be an issue. Yet here in the states, most have issues with it. There have been a few instances where I have done this at a hotel hot tub or sauna and got some really evil looks. I don't do this for any sexual reason. I do it because most hot tub jets force air into my swim trunks and make it difficult to stay seated. I don't parade around the hot tub naked or anything, and 98% of the time, you can't see anything anyway. It's only when I get in or get out and I always immediately put a towel or robe on. I agree there are times and places for nudity. However, I feel that hot tubs, hot springs, saunas, massages, and other bathing or relaxing situations are perfectly natural and should be acceptable. Obviously the rules change when kids are present or can be present.

So, my questions are:
1. If you were in a public hot tub and someone disrobed completely to enter the tub, what would you do?
2. If you were in a public sauna and someone disrobed completely in the sauna, what would you do?
3. Would it be better to ask the people in the hot tub or sauna first or would that alone offend people?

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 06:40 AM

40,954 posts, read 49,234,730 times
If it was adults only and an acceptable practice for that business, park, nudist beach or whatever it would be no big deal. If there are kids around or the hotel etc had a policy against it then keep your clothes on.

There are thousands of nude allowed places, spas, resorts in the US. You might take your business there.

If you started to disrobe in front of kids you might find yourself in either 1.The hospital or 2. Jail. Keep it adult only unless you are at a nudist resort.

Better yet, get a spa for your private backyard and enjoy.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:59 AM

I have never been to a nudist resort because as I stated in my post "I don't consider myself to be a nudist". I'm not going to stay at a nudist resort just to use the hot tub in the buff. I also mentioned I wouldn't do this in front of kids. I also wouldn't do this if it offended anyone. This is the reason I posted the questions on here. The answers I receive on this thread will determine how I treat this situation in the future. If most people say they would be offended, I wouldn't even attempt it. It's really not that big of a deal. However, if most say that they wouldn't mind someone being honest and upfront by asking, then I would try that.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:08 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,499,182 times
i am betting that you are getting those dirty looks because people feel you are being "unhygienec". basically people feel like you are giving them cooties and would appreciate you keeping them to yourself

Old 11-29-2009, 07:21 AM

Since you did not mention I assume you are a guy. A hot chick might get by with it but most people will be offended unless you are around some younger 20 somethings and the setting is appropriate.

What would you say to some hairy 350 lb gross guy getting in the hot tub next to your wife ? That may not describe you but the issue is the same.

If people were in a spa with their suits on I doubt if I would even ask. I would have the courtesy to keep mine on also. No need to make them uncomfortable or look bad by saying "Please keep your suit on"

BTW, even TX has nude beaches. You don't have to be a nudist to occasionally visit and enjoy the wide open spaces.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:43 AM

Good points. I didn't think of that aspect. I don't, however, understand why it's different for a "hot chick" as opposed to an average guy. I agree it's different, don't get me wrong. I just don't understand why it's different. I can see the standard hotel hot tub being an issue. But what about a spa that has a sauna?

I would still like to get answers to each of the questions listed though. I have had times where I have disrobed in a sauna, and didn't get any comments or looks. So I know that not everyone feels the same about it. That's why I'm trying to get somewhat of a consensus.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, and please keep them coming.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:46 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,691,260 times
you don't want to go to a nudist colony? why do you want to be the only naked person in the hot tub?

Old 11-29-2009, 07:53 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,739,584 times
Antlered Chamataka is casually entering his balcony right now, "nude"

Old 11-29-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Antlered Chamataka is casually entering his balcony right now, "nude"
OMG, we live across the way from you. Please put some clothes on, I have no trouble with nudity but this is not a pretty sight.

Sorry, my warped sense of humor had to throw that out.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:53 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,134,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman1 View Post
I do it because most hot tub jets force air into my swim trunks and make it difficult to stay seated.
They still make Speedos, while Speedos are not for everyone it would not only solve the above problem but would reduce the "vacation memories" some folks would really rather not have to take from the hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics