U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:13 PM

31,304 posts, read 31,329,465 times

Advertisements

My recent trip taught me a few things to remember when traveling. How to pack your luggage is most important. It can become very frustrating after you figure out just what you need to take with you, and what can actually be taken onboard the aircraft or what can be packed and sent as baggage. After careful consideration the items got packed into the suitable bags, clothing was neatly folded and packed in a manner to avoid wrinkles.

Once you put your bags into the hands of the airlines you might as well consider that the homeland security agents at the airport will have a fun day going through everything to find out if you are taking or sending things on the aircraft that shouldn’t be there. They will totally destroy the a few hours work that you put into packing neatly trying to find things that they think you might bring onto the aircraft. What a mess when we opened the luggage when we got home and unpacked. It looked as if they opened the bags, dumped the items out on the floor, messed everything up and tossed it back into the luggage.

I don’t often travel via air anymore just because of the issues with security, and I know it’s important that they do their job however I now prefer to drive and take a few extra days for travel just to avoid the problems.

And another point to make is how so many other passengers are simply bad-mannered, rude and impolite when they are among several hundred others inside a small aluminum cylinder flying thru the air above the ground at a high speed.

There’s no place like home. Is it me or am I just getting too old to deal with things?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 05:23 PM

42,841 posts, read 57,306,437 times
No, you're not getting too old, just wiser. I agree about that airline travel. It's not fun anymore. And yes the rude people, the screaming kids, and the person in front of you who likes to put their seat as far back into your lap as possible.
This years trip is all vehicle travel. And it's good to see some interesting sites that you'll never see or experience from the air.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:34 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,464,904 times
That old age will get you every time! But today people are so rude. I know I remember a time when manners were not something they just talked about in a neswpaper column. I try not to fly. You have to be there forever before the actual flight. So many rules and security checks, it's no longer enjoyable. But I have also gotten to the age that I don't care to travel with anyone other than my girlfriend. In other words people annoy me, especially in confined spaces. I like going where I want, when I want on my terms.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 PM

14,523 posts, read 8,361,014 times
I've learned never to say Never....but I do hope to not fly anywhere again. Your recent experience, AksarbeN, reaffirms my sentiments.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 PM

22,107 posts, read 26,427,928 times
On a trip to NYC last year on Delta, they have these TV screens embedded in the back of the seats, where you can play games. Through the whole trip someone behind me was poking the screen hard with the end of a pen, playing some kind of a game, and I could feel every poke go into my back for 3-4 hours! Grrr!
On the return flight, I sat in the last row of the plane, as I wanted to sleep.

When I pack my bags for air travel, I more carefully select the books I'll take along over anything else, fearing that if I get bored where I travel to, the books will save the trip. Give me a good book to read, and it's arbitrary where I am.

I'm only planning two short air trips this year, the rest in a car.

I'm showing my age, the days of long plane trips are over.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 PM

10,232 posts, read 15,530,190 times
I used to love traveling by air but now I hate it with a passion. Now, whenever we travel across the state (to California) we take our car. I do fly when I go alone, but I'm planning on trying Amtrak next time.

This was before 9/11, but I still remember the time I was in line to get through security, and my things were on one of those little luggage rollers. This young behind me was anxiously squawking to High Hell about the line moving slowly ~ she obviously got to the airport way later than she should have. She saw my bundle and assumed I was going to disband it all, because she about a cow. "Just look at that!" she cried to her mother. I turned around to look at her and say, "It's no problem. . . Just watch. . ." And I placed the whole bundle, rollers and all, to go through the scanner. If she lost time between that moment and her boarding time, it was not for anything I did.

Age has been interesting where patience goes. I'm more patient about certain things, and even more impatient about others. But I do find that I don't give a damn more and more.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:56 PM

26,143 posts, read 29,868,151 times
I would often fly to visit my aunt and I got the brainstorm idea of packing a box instead of a suitcase and sending it UPS to and back from my trips when I went shopping with her and couldn't put it all in the suitcase, I just sent it all back UPS. I've been doing that now for a while. It gets there when or before I do and gets back home safe and sound the day after I do. It really isn't that expensive and now that airlines are charging for luggage it's that much more economical and it's not all ripped apart and stuffed back in the bag. If you are sending it to a destination like a hotel, just put the hotel name then your name with - guest next to it and let them know you are expecting a delivery.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM

4,605 posts, read 5,525,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I would often fly to visit my aunt and I got the brainstorm idea of packing a box instead of a suitcase and sending it UPS to and back from my trips when I went shopping with her and couldn't put it all in the suitcase, I just sent it all back UPS. I've been doing that now for a while. It gets there when or before I do and gets back home safe and sound the day after I do. It really isn't that expensive and now that airlines are charging for luggage it's that much more economical and it's not all ripped apart and stuffed back in the bag. If you are sending it to a destination like a hotel, just put the hotel name then your name with - guest next to it.
Wow that is really a great idea. Reps to ya!!

When I was a kid and traveled with my Dad, I remember helping the stewardest pass out bubble gum. It was fun to fly then. Not now. Avoid it at all costs.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 PM

39,023 posts, read 22,135,682 times
I have flown quite a bit these past few years (including the weekend prior to last) and it irks me that I cannot bring my own beverage through security for the flight. It costs approx $3 for a bottled soda and the airline never has the brand that I like.

I've only had security inspect my checked baggage once and it was right in front of my eyes at a small airport. Me thinks the TSA was bored and wanted to see some lingerie.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 PM

15,972 posts, read 8,818,746 times
I've had my bags checked bags checked twice. They left an official note each time. I hope they like boxers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics