Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 10:21 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,861,422 times

Advertisements

If we're not expecting you, then we're not answering the door.

Sure, you may see me looking out the window to see who it is, but you may as well just give a good bye wave since that's the only contact we'll have.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 10:59 PM

44,569 posts, read 61,347,806 times
Well you should at least have a peep hole to see whose there. Cuz burglars like to ring door bells, and if no one answers they will kick in the door and take your goodies.
So if you look out the door or window and see a car or truck backed up in your driveway, the doorbell ringing, it probably is someone looking to burglarize you.
But then again it could be a neighbor wanting to borrow your riding lawnmower. It's generally best to see whose a knocking.
In our area most have security doors at the front so you can open the regular door and feel comfortable in either inviting someone in or shooing them away.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:27 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,511,113 times
Geez, no way. I'm alone in the house for most of the day, I'm kinda scared to see anyone at the door. Besides that, if I don't know you or didn't invite you, why the hell would I wanna talk to you? I don't care if they see somebody's home, 1st I want em to in case someone was looking for an empty home... and 2nd, I want the uninvited visitor to know they were rejected.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:42 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,151,076 times
I heard someone knocking on my kitchen door one night about 11:45 pm.
Wasn't expecting anybody.
So I picked up the pistol and went to the door holding the gun down and pointed at the floor. I don't go to the door with a gun pointed at the person. The person probably isn't a threat. But it's there if they are a threat.
Here it was a neighbor from down the street who was here to tell me my overhead garage door was up.
I put the pistol in my pocket and we walked out to the garage to see if anything was missing.
She knew I had the gun. It didn't bother her since she knows me and knows I'm not a trigger happy lunatic that goes around looking for an excuse to shoot someone.
I had run my motorcycle in the garage about 8:00 pm, hit the remote to close the door and walked away when I saw it start to close. Didn't even look back. Only thing I can figure out is one of the feral cats in the neighborhood might have run in and broke the beam and the door reversed and stayed up.
I'm glad I answered the door that night. With an antique car, 3 motorcycles, tools, etc, I could have lost a lot. I do always answer the door. If it's someone I don't want around, they don't stay long.
But you never know when a knock on the door may be someone telling you something that you need to know.
And family and friends are always welcome here untill they make pests of themselves. So far none have.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:26 AM

44,293 posts, read 19,960,112 times
I don't have people at my door very often, but I do always answer. I have a storm door, so if it's a stranger, I talk to him or her through the locked storm door.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:07 AM

8,392 posts, read 3,476,120 times
Wow... glad I've been to the US lots of times, otherwise this thread would have me thinking it was the scariest place on earth! Also glad I've never needed to knock on someone's door in the US to ask for help since I might have been greeted by someone pointing a gun at me!

I always answer the door, even though I know it's not a friend dropping by (because they just come around the back without announcing themselves at all)! It could be the guy from the gas company telling me they're about to replace or refill my gas tank. It could be the guy who reads the water meter, asking if I could do a spot of weeding so he can more easily find it next time. It could be the electricity company advising me they're turning off the power for a bit while they carry out some emergency repair. It could be the postman delivering a package, or the Red Cross people doing some door-knock fundraising. Or it could be a local person selling raffle tickets for the school.

Occasionally it's someone trying to sell me something, and occasionally it's people who want to convert me to their religion. A polite 'no thanks' is all it takes. No big deal.

I suppose there's the slightest of possibilities it will be someone who wishes to do me harm... but really I'm more likely to come to harm when driving my car than answering my door. And I'm not about to stop using my car. So I won't stop answering my door either.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:26 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,050,400 times
For those of you who said no, please change your ways. I'm a pizza guy. Lots of times customers don't always tell other housemates they ordered and I won't get an answer. It gets irritating.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:24 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,719,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Wow... glad I've been to the US lots of times, otherwise this thread would have me thinking it was the scariest place on earth!

LOL.. it really depends on where you live. out in the suburbs and i would at least look to see who it was and sometimes answer if i didnt know them. but in the city there are a lot more weirdos, i just dont want to be bothered by anyone. i get bugged for money from grown men walking into a store or going through a drive through they will come right up to my car sometimes. so when i get home, that is it for the outside world. if someone knocks, then i am not interested in finding out what it is about.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:38 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,169,098 times
Yes, always, now that I live in the boonies. When I lived in southern CA, I looked out the peep hole first. If it was someone I knew, yes, if not.....would depend on my mood at the moment. If dressed in black pants, white shirt, black tie, no (Mormons); if 3 people with briefcases, no (Jehovah's Witnesses).

Old 05-29-2010, 06:06 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,250,138 times
Absolutely not. Plus, I have a statue of Mary in the courtyard so proseletyzers don't ring the bell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics