Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 12:57 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

To me, an underrated area in Gatineau that is on the up-and-up is the western part of the old city of Gatineau. Roughly speaking, west of Rue Main, south of Autoroute 50 and around Boulevard de la Vérendrye, and perhaps even as far south as the main drag, Boulevard Maloney (aka Route 148). This is the area where the Rapibus will be going in. It already has a performing arts centre, library, lots of shopping, dining (lots of sit-down family-type stuff but not so much fine dining), a college (known in Quebec as a CEGEP), a hospital. Plus, a new C$50-million indoor sports complex is going to start construction within the next few weeks, and a public square is being built (across the street from where the sports complex will be) with an outdoor amphitheatre for concerts and skating rink for the winter. The city`s idea is to build a mini city centre in this area, focused on the intersection of Boulevard de la Gappe and Boulevard de la Cité. There are lots of new and newish single-family homes in this area but now they are building more and more condominium-type buildings to give certain parts of the area a more urban feel.

Except for the more established high-end neighbourhood at the western fringe of this zone (Côte-d’Azur), prices in this area are generally somewhat less expensive than in the Plateau and Aylmer. (Though they are catching up fast.)

I really gotta go, but feel free to send me personal messages should you have any other questions. I`m not sure if the rest of the world is that interested in my Gatineau Confidential!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 03:37 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,347 times
That's great info, Acajack!!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 19,047 times
Default A few questions?

Hello all,

Our family is being posted to Ottawa from Halifax due to military.

We are currently in Ottawa on our house hunting trip and are having a hard time deciding where to buy. We are considering Gatineau/or area due to the fact that housing prices are so much cheaper. However my biggest concern are our children who are 13, 12, 10 and 8. They speak ONLY english and understand very very little french. I am french but my husband is english ( originally from Toronto ).

So to get to my questions. Are there english schools and what are there any criterias and if so what are they?

The move alone is hard on kids having to leave friends and family behind and move to a total strange city, that I wouldn't want to make it harder for them with the language barrier.

Any information would be great!

Oh yeah also, the realtor we are dealing with here in Ottawa was very much against our idea of us looking to buy in gatineau saying that taxes are very different in Quebec and makes it almost impossible to sell your home when that time comes. Any of this true or is this a realtor whos concerned about losing a sale????

Thanks

Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military_wife View Post
Hello all,

Our family is being posted to Ottawa from Halifax due to military.

We are currently in Ottawa on our house hunting trip and are having a hard time deciding where to buy. We are considering Gatineau/or area due to the fact that housing prices are so much cheaper. However my biggest concern are our children who are 13, 12, 10 and 8. They speak ONLY english and understand very very little french. I am french but my husband is english ( originally from Toronto ).

So to get to my questions. Are there english schools and what are there any criterias and if so what are they?

The move alone is hard on kids having to leave friends and family behind and move to a total strange city, that I wouldn't want to make it harder for them with the language barrier.

Any information would be great!
English-language schools in Gatineau are operated by the Western Quebec School Board:
www.cswq.wqsb.qc.ca/ (broken link)

They have elementary schools across the city and two high schools, both located west of the Gatineau River. (There are no English high schools in the large area of Gatineau east of the Gatineau River, so kids from these areas are bused to the western side of the city.)

Of the two English high schools, one (Philemon Wright) is in the north-central part of the old city of Hull, near the Mont-Bleu exit of Autoroute 5. The other, D’Arcy McGee, is brand new and located in the western part of Gatineau known as Aylmer, near Boulevard du Plateau and Chemin Vanier. Most kids that go to both of these schools take the bus.

You should have access to English-language schools in Quebec if your husband went to English-Canadian schools. The rule is that one of the two parents has to have done his/her schooling in English in Canada.

Now, if you are a francophone (as you mentioned) and went to francophone schools say, in Manitoba, Ontario or New Brunswick, and your husband went to school mostly in the United States or England, then you might not have access. This does not appear to be your case.

In most areas of Gatineau, your kids will encounter somewhat of a language barrier. The western Aylmer sector is more bilingual (which means more English is present than in other areas). Kids’ social lives (on the streets, in recreational activities, etc.) in Aylmer are likely to reflect a back-and-forth between the two languages, whereas elsewhere in Gatineau it’s generally in French.

When your kids reach part-time job age, they will likely have trouble finding work that involves the public (even in Aylmer) if they don’t speak French. But they would be able to work in Ottawa without any problems.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military_wife View Post

Oh yeah also, the realtor we are dealing with here in Ottawa was very much against our idea of us looking to buy in gatineau saying that taxes are very different in Quebec and makes it almost impossible to sell your home when that time comes. Any of this true or is this a realtor whos concerned about losing a sale????
People in Ottawa (especially real estate agents who are provincially licensed and therefore can't sell you anything in the the other province) tend to wildly exaggerate all of the problems associated with living on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River: politics, language, health care, traffic, schools, taxes, etc.

One truth is that there is a severe doctor and nurse shortage in the Gatineau area, however Quebec residents do have access for example to the Children’s Hospital in Ottawa of which the Quebec Ministry of Health has been a partner since the beginning. Note that there are doctor and nurse shortages in Ottawa and other areas of Canada as well. Perhaps not as acute as in Gatineau, but the difference is not as "night and day" as some people would have you believe. (I’ve lived on both sides of the river here.)

Income tax on a $75,000 salary is about $4,000 more in Quebec. (Every situation is different, so I am quickly estimating here.) In the highest income bracket, the Quebec government will notheless pay you a minimum of just over $500 per child under 18 in child support. In your case, this would be a minimum of $2000 for your four children. You don’t get this in Ontario. So it cuts the tax difference in half right there. (Presuming you only have one salary in the family.)

Quebec also has 7$ a day daycare (contrast that with the usual $35 to $50 per day in Ottawa), though given your children’s ages you might not need that.

Housing is generally less expensive in Gatineau, with the price difference ranging from $50,000 to $100,000 depending on which areas on either side of the river you are comparing. By my calculations that’s about $400 to $800 per month less on your mortgage.

Property taxes are quite similar in Ottawa and Gatineau.

The political situation in Quebec does have an impact on the real estate market in Gatineau. For the moment, the Gatineau market is every bit as dynamic as the one in Ottawa. Note that Quebec independence is currently on the backburner with the Liberals in power, although as we have seen in the past this situation can change rather quickly and catch some people off guard. I was in Gatineau during the 1995 referendum period and the market did slow down quite a bit, but it wasn’t as depressed as I thought it would be. Slower as I said, but nothing like an auto manufacturing city when a major plant shuts down or a mining town bust.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:18 AM

11 posts, read 89,706 times
"Income tax on a $75,000 salary is about $4,000 more in Quebec. (Every situation is different, so I am quickly estimating here.) In the highest income bracket, the Quebec government will notheless pay you a minimum of just over $500 per child under 18 in child support. In your case, this would be a minimum of $2000 for your four children. You don’t get this in Ontario. So it cuts the tax difference in half right there. (Presuming you only have one salary in the family."

Hello,
I see that the comment was posted almost 2 month ago, but since you obviously have some facts in hand, I would like to ask you something. We are also thinking about moving to Canada, my husband is canadian citizen, we have one child another on the way, but the children automatically receive canadian citizenships, so that is not a problem. I on the other hand, would have to wait for 3 yrs in order to obtain citizenship. Anyway, we were thinking to move somewhere in Hull, but I've got so many questions which I can't find answer on. Obviously I wont be able to work for considerable amount of time after we arrive, my husband will be able to obtain a job, but then I am afraid whether we'll be able to support 4 members on one salary. Also, my children will have to learn language since my son is now almost 3 and he doesn't speak either english or french. I speak english, not french, which would not be a problem for me to learn. Also is there any monthly allowance for children under 18 from the government/province and how is it calculated??

Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 18,633 times
Hi there. my husband work with the government and we are living overseas, we will be going back to Canada next year and are planning to live in Gatineau, would I be able to get the free french lesson? I became a citizen in 06 when I was living in Ottawa, we are planning to sell our home there and move to Quebec.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustiqueisl View Post
Hi there. my husband work with the government and we are living overseas, we will be going back to Canada next year and are planning to live in Gatineau, would I be able to get the free french lesson? I became a citizen in 06 when I was living in Ottawa, we are planning to sell our home there and move to Quebec.
From this site: Immigration-Québec - Admission

You are eligible to take French courses if you:
-have been living in Canada for five years or less
-live in Québec
-lack sufficient knowledge of French for everyday life or work
are 16 years of age or older
-have an immigration status that allows you to take courses

So if you're a Canadian citizen already you probably are not eligible for the free course.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:33 PM

38 posts, read 325,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisatrahan View Post
Gatineau is very beautiful area, 20 mins from Ottawa mind you in the mornings traffic can be bad ! and you don't want to hit the 50 at 4 or 5 dead stop. For me just a visitor to Gatineau, it's nice how ever with the extra taxes I don't know my self if I could move here. Like the welcome tax why? I know there are benefit's either way, if you have kids it is much better in Gatineau they offer better daycare, and so on. From what I hear anyways.
I'm an anglophone living in Gatineau and thought I would comment. By the way, easy does it...I'm not here to promote my services...I'm here as an interested individual looking for stimulating discussion - that's all. So, having said that, I work and live in Gatineau and I looked up as much as I could for my job, my clients and for myself in order to understand the facts surrounding the following:

Gatineau:
Welcome Tax
Property Taxes
Income Tax
Driver's license
Car Insurance

This is what I discovered to demyth some of our preconceptions:

1. Driver's License Quebec
-The actual cost of a driver's license according to SAAQ is based on the number of dimerit points you have. So, the range is between $58 per year to $274 per year if you seriously have a delinquent driver's record (15 points and over).

--source: Cost of a Licence for the Current Year | Driver's Licence | SAAQ

2. Car Insurance Quebec

I used to live in Ottawa and remember paying something like $1300 per year which I was shocked about. Then I was told that was a pretty good price but was hoping for something more like $800 instead. Well, it turns out that Ontario seriously is drag when it comes to car insurance...basically there's no way around it...expect to pay higher insurance in Ontario.

In Quebec or Gatineau, I am paying $650 per year for my car insurance, thereby saving myself $700...no complaints here on this one.

3. Welcome Tax

Yeah....I never thought that word was funny...it actually feels like we're all being laughed at when people use that nasty word. The actual terminology is Land Transfer Duty or tax or Mutation Duty. You see, the Welcome Tax is paid in every province except Alberta. So, Ontario does have one as does Quebec. Now, it appears, but don't quote me, but I heard that Ontario's Premiere actually found a way to provide a tax deduction off of the Welcome Tax??? Can anyone confirm this? Because if that is the case, then yah, Ontario definitely wins on this point. Just remember, every province has a welcome tax except Alberta. Here's the matrix breakdown of Land Transfer Tax Fees:

Land Transfer / Welcome Tax Calculator: Ovalcreek.com : Land Transfer Tax Information and Calculator

Basically, on a $200,000 home, the ...ugh...Welcome Tax is $1750 in Quebec and $1725 in Ontario

Anyways...this subject makes me ugh inside so moving on...

4. Income Tax Quebec

Yup, check it out with any accountant and the answer is a hands-down no debater: Quebec charges higher personal income tax. That's it - that's all as the francophones say in Quebec.

Check out this neat little calculatore I found on the net - very neat! But always be sure to double check with accountant:

Tax Comparison Calculator: 2008 personal tax calculator (http://www.ey.com/GLOBAL/content.nsf/Canada/Tax_-_Calculators_-_2008_Personal_Tax - broken link)

5. Property Taxes:

Okay, this one does bother me because there appears to be a lot of misunderstandings out there on property taxes. First, the property taxes vary from area to area, the point to which a house was renovated and a whole other slew of factors. Suffice it to say, I still believe property taxes are equivalent or even a tiny weeny lower in Gatineau than in Ottawa. In addition, the 2009 Property Tax Hikes for Ottawa are coming very soon and you should all seriously check out your neighbourhood to find out by how much over the next 8 years will your property taxes increase. Some areas are unaffected and others are getting the hammer. So far in Gatineau, we have another few years to go before and if they begin reforming property taxes to the extent that Ottawa has done. Anyone wish to comment on this .... your knowledge is welcome as you might know more about this than I do for Ottawa.

Check out the Ottawa Citizen in which they show a map of all the areas of Ottawa whose property taxes will be raised. I kept a hardcopy on me in case anyone wants me to scan and send it to them.

Well, that's my humble input ... all of you guys have really got a good theme going in your discussions...thanks for that!

Anglophone Gatineau Realtor and Individual Esquire in Learning

Old 12-05-2008, 04:50 PM

38 posts, read 325,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisatrahan View Post
Gatineau is very beautiful area, 20 mins from Ottawa mind you in the mornings traffic can be bad ! and you don't want to hit the 50 at 4 or 5 dead stop. For me just a visitor to Gatineau, it's nice how ever with the extra taxes I don't know my self if I could move here. Like the welcome tax why? I know there are benefit's either way, if you have kids it is much better in Gatineau they offer better daycare, and so on. From what I hear anyways.
I'm an anglophone living in Gatineau and thought I would comment. By the way, easy does it...I'm not here to promote my services...I'm here as an interested individual looking for stimulating discussion - that's all. So, having said that, I work and live in Gatineau and I looked up as much as I could for my job, my clients and for myself in order to understand the facts surrounding the following:

Gatineau:
Welcome Tax
Property Taxes
Income Tax
Driver's license
Car Insurance

This is what I discovered to demyth some of our preconceptions:

1. Driver's License Quebec
-The actual cost of a driver's license according to SAAQ is based on the number of dimerit points you have. So, the range is between $58 per year to $274 per year if you seriously have a delinquent driver's record (15 points and over).

--source: Cost of a Licence for the Current Year | Driver's Licence | SAAQ

2. Car Insurance Quebec

I used to live in Ottawa and remember paying something like $1300 per year which I was shocked about. Then I was told that was a pretty good price but was hoping for something more like $800 instead. Well, it turns out that Ontario seriously is drag when it comes to car insurance...basically there's no way around it...expect to pay higher insurance in Ontario.

In Quebec or Gatineau, I am paying $650 per year for my car insurance, thereby saving myself $700...no complaints here on this one.

3. Welcome Tax

Yeah....I never thought that word was funny...it actually feels like we're all being laughed at when people use that nasty word. The actual terminology is Land Transfer Duty or tax or Mutation Duty. You see, the Welcome Tax is paid in every province except Alberta. So, Ontario does have one as does Quebec. Now, it appears, but don't quote me, but I heard that Ontario's Premiere actually found a way to provide a tax deduction off of the Welcome Tax??? Can anyone confirm this? Because if that is the case, then yah, Ontario definitely wins on this point. Just remember, every province has a welcome tax except Alberta. Here's the matrix breakdown of Land Transfer Tax Fees:

Land Transfer / Welcome Tax Calculator: Ovalcreek.com : Land Transfer Tax Information and Calculator : Land Transfer Tax Information and Calculator

Basically, on a $200,000 home, the ...ugh...Welcome Tax is $1750 in Quebec and $1725 in Ontario

Anyways...this subject makes me ugh inside so moving on...

4. Income Tax Quebec

Yup, check it out with any accountant and the answer is a hands-down no debater: Quebec charges higher personal income tax. That's it - that's all as the francophones say in Quebec.

Check out this neat little calculatore I found on the net - very neat! But always be sure to double check with accountant:

Tax Comparison Calculator: http://www.ey.com/GLOBAL/content.nsf...sonal_Tax]2008 personal tax calculator

5. Property Taxes:

Okay, this one does bother me because there appears to be a lot of misunderstandings out there on property taxes. First, the property taxes vary from area to area, the point to which a house was renovated and a whole other slew of factors. Suffice it to say, I still believe property taxes are equivalent or even a tiny weeny lower in Gatineau than in Ottawa. In addition, the 2009 Property Tax Hikes for Ottawa are coming very soon and you should all seriously check out your neighbourhood to find out by how much over the next 8 years will your property taxes increase. Some areas are unaffected and others are getting the hammer. So far in Gatineau, we have another few years to go before and if they begin reforming property taxes to the extent that Ottawa has done. Anyone wish to comment on this .... your knowledge is welcome as you might know more about this than I do for Ottawa.

Check out the Ottawa Citizen in which they show a map of all the areas of Ottawa whose property taxes will be raised. I kept a hardcopy on me in case anyone wants me to scan and send it to them.

Well, that's my humble input ... all of you guys have really got a good theme going in your discussions...thanks for that!

Anglophone Gatineau Realtor and Individual Esquire in Learning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau