U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:09 AM

319 posts, read 1,334,532 times

Advertisements

I notice the price of real estate is lower in Gatineau. Yet being that it is Quebec, would one lose out on the tax structures. Cost of driving license as well? Which is getting pretty high in Quebec and may go up still. I know a fellow from Ontario who finds it very pricey here in Montreal. I am researching for a future move and still sorting it out. Thanks for any help. Also is Gatineau a nice place to live? I see some beautiful lakes on the net. I think I was looking at Outaouais. Is it a short drive into Ottawa?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 09:41 AM

6 posts, read 71,777 times
Gatineau is very beautiful area, 20 mins from Ottawa mind you in the mornings traffic can be bad ! and you don't want to hit the 50 at 4 or 5 dead stop. For me just a visitor to Gatineau, it's nice how ever with the extra taxes I don't know my self if I could move here. Like the welcome tax why? I know there are benefit's either way, if you have kids it is much better in Gatineau they offer better daycare, and so on. From what I hear anyways.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:51 AM

Thanks, lisatrahan. So traffic problems here too. Can't seem to get away from it. Welcome tax? Will have to Google that. My Daughter is grown up now, wish I was. Sigh. So taxes take away from lower real estate prices, I gather.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 58,478 times
Default ya but no

we are thinking of buying a house in Gatineau.But the prices won't be higher because an o.k house in orleans is about 230,000-270,000.Know in Gatineau a brand new bungalow is 192,900. And because I've been searching many orleans homes I've found out that there taxes are in the 2,000$. Anyway I added the costs and everything to find out I will be saving thousands just by moving to Gatineau.Don't forget u don't need an apraiser or inspector or lawyer saving you thousands. And groceries and living essentials are way cheaper in Gatineau.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:13 PM

I researched too and I will save a fortune by never buying a house. Plus if I rent
I will have the choice to move easily. You should always have a purchase inspected or get the seller to pay for it. Groceries and living essentials cheaper in Gatineau? How come? Plus if you don't speak perfect French would you not be shunned by the locales? That's all I hear on the net. I heard of one person who sold and went back to the States.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 125,371 times
Default Gatineau versus Ottawa

Regarding your dilemma of where to live, Ottawa versus Gatineau, there is no clear cut answer here - it all depends on your situation and what you are looking for. Let me just preface what I am about to say by telling you a little about my background. I am originally from central Ontario, lived just north of Gatineau (Perkins) for about 8 years and have just recently moved to Ottawa, so I have a fresh perspective on this. Also, my wife is Quebecoises and while my first language is English I have become fluently bilingual.

Quebec is a beautiful province (in fairness so is Ontario) and can be a very special place to live - if it suits you. Let's start with the big advantages of living on the "Quebec side" versus Ontario:

- much cheaper homes, in general you will save between $50,000 to as much as $100,000 on an equivalent home on the Quebec side.
- $7 per day excellent quality univeral daycare is available which is great for young families, but beware there may be waiting lists that you need to get on
- pristine wilderness within short drive from the city, Gatineau park is a real jewel
- living in French and exposure to Quebec culture can be very rewarding if that's what you are looking for
- automobile insurance is slightly cheaper (say a few hundred dollars), and so is electricity

Disadvantages versus Ottawa:

- if you work in Ottawa and don't have flexible hours the commute is tough! Particularly if you live in Gatineau and want to work in Ottawa. Aylmer is bad too. The problem is a booming population on the Quebec side and a limited number of bridges across the Gatineau river, and then across the Ottawa river. And many people who live in Gatineau work in Ottawa, so you're all headed the same way in the morning and evening.
- income taxes are much higher in Quebec, check your tax bracket but it will be significant.
- slim outside chance of Quebec seperating from Canada, in which case your investment (house) would depreciate significantly. Of course the entire region would be in for a shock but I believe that you would see a large wave of emigration to Ottawa.

So like I say it depends on your situation. Personally I really enjoyed living in Quebec and found the people to be fantastic. You have to be prepared for the reality that it is a french-speaking province though, which was in my experience exotic and fun. Of your are unilingual and only speak English I am sure that you will have no problem getting by, but I would only recommend living there if you would like to learn french. There are regions that are more English, such as Chelsea and Aylmer, where learning French would not be necessary (but I would still recommend it).

The only negative thing I have to say about Quebec is that I found the lack of enthusiasm for Canada to be annoying, and the Quebec separatists to be even worse (thankfully a minority). My children now hear the national anthem when they go to school in the morning (still a French school though), and you can't put a price on that. What finally drove me to move to Ottawa was the commute, because myself and my wife both work in Ottawa and Orleans, respectively, it just didn't make sense to continue living in Quebec.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:53 AM

Thanks, NewOttawa. I am still undecided about where to live and I think I will never be happy with any place. I am not really thrilled with Montreal. It has a lot of good points but increasingly I am fed up with it too. For now I am going once per year to California where I have an ailing Mother. I may be going going soon again. I stay for months. My life and moving plans is sort of on hold.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 PM

65 posts, read 417,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOttawa View Post
Let's start with the big advantages of living on the "Quebec side" versus Ontario:

- much cheaper homes, in general you will save between $50,000 to as much as $100,000 on an equivalent home on the Quebec side.
- $7 per day excellent quality univeral daycare is available which is great for young families, but beware there may be waiting lists that you need to get on
- pristine wilderness within short drive from the city, Gatineau park is a real jewel

- income taxes are much higher in Quebec, check your tax bracket but it will be significant.

The only negative thing I have to say about Quebec is that I found the lack of enthusiasm for Canada to be annoying, and the Quebec separatists to be even worse (thankfully a minority).
The homes may be $50 - $100 K cheaper but are they truly comparable...ie. they may have the same gfa, # of bedrooms, bathrooms, yard size etc., but there are a number of intangibles that are hard to pin down..ie location within the City, neighbourhood, local amenities, proximity to schools/shops etc. My experience of neighbourhoods in Gatineau is that they scrimp on a lot of finishes (eg. above ground hydro lines are a given while in Ottawa all new subdivisions have buried lines) and overall they look a bit cheaper than new neighbourhoods in Ottawa.

I understand that the taxes on the QC side can be quite high and the same with property taxes etc.

I'm glad you are settled in your new area.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:58 AM

215 posts, read 1,622,796 times
While I dont have much in the way of specifics except a good Transit plan, I can say that historically Ottawa's growth has been much smarter. If you want to save $$$ then Gatineau is your answer, but if you are looking for the best overall package, I'd suggest getting a home in one of the Ottawa neighborhoods outside the greenbelt like Kanata, or the new developments south of the airport, which are due to get o-train service eventually.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 58,027 times
Red face how about your medical plan

Hi I currently live in Kitchener,but am planning to move to the Ottawa area.My son is questioning moving to Gatineau from Ottawa,he uses mass transit for work , would this still pose a problem as others spoke of traffic problems commuting.My biggest concern though is what happens with your OHIP plan ,does that have to be changed over to the Quebec plan? If you live in Quebec with their health plan are you still able to access Ontario health resources?
Right now I'm looking into areas in Ottawa,prices in some places are a bit high,but its also difficult to tell what area of the city is most favorable,as in safety,crime etc. the same would be true of Gatineau.If anyone can suggest any areas that are pretty good I'm thankful for the advice.Have a great day all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau