U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Montreal
24 posts, read 107,779 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
I've lived in Montreal for the past 9 years and I'm getting sick of it...its big, dirty, people are stressed out, etc.

I've visited Ottawa last week end and I just loved it!
I'm looking at the avergage cost to rent an apartment. Do you think it cost more than in Montreal? If its more, than are the apartments better? Does it cost less in Gatineau than Ottawa? What about the general cost of living?

I'm married and I have a 4 year old son. We are french speaking, but I'm billingual (not the best, but ok, I guess...) how are the schools (both english and french) Is it like in Montreal where in some neighborhood its good and some very bad?? I must admit that one of the reason I'm thinking about moving to Ottawa is the school system in Montreal...

Its really sudden for me to think about Ottawa and I'm a bit idealistic I guess.. so any information is more than welcome!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2011, 09:57 PM
 
236 posts, read 809,311 times
Reputation: 286
Rents are a little cheaper in Gatineau. The cost of buying a house/condo is quite a bit cheaper on the Gatineau side too. Plus, you have subsidized daycare on the Gatineau side, but not in Ottawa. Gatineau schools, from what I hear, are all good. Ottawa, it depends upon the neighbourhood where the school is located. In general, the better schools are the ones that are the most centrally located near or in the core of the city. Of course, if you rent in the centre of Ottawa, your children would be in a good "catchment" area to get into a high quality school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 02:38 AM
 
35,316 posts, read 48,015,948 times
Reputation: 30901
Quote:
Originally Posted by yassakiwi View Post
Hey everyone!
I've lived in Montreal for the past 9 years and I'm getting sick of it...its big, dirty, people are stressed out, etc.



Really? let me guess,Laval? maybe a different part of the city would have you looking at Montreal with a better perspective.
Stressed out people? perhaps but that seems to be the attitude in most big cities these days,Dirty? you'd find parts of any big city that would fit that description.Poor schools? put the kid in a good school.
But i guess if ya gotta go then ya gotta go, Ottawa is a nice city but i think you'll find its just a smaller version of Montreal especially if you are out in the burbs of Orleans or Kanata.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Montreal
24 posts, read 107,779 times
Reputation: 20
"@Jambo101: I've lived downtown Montreal for 4 years and I've lived near St-Leonard for 5 years...
WHat do you mean by «I think you'll find its just a smaller version of Montreal» ? Can you be more specific?
I love to live in a city. Montreal is a nice place to live, but I'm looking for something that would suit me better. My parents are living in Quebec city, which is a city I could NEVER go back to! Don't get me wrong, its beautiful and everything.. just not what I'm looking for. I thought that Ottawa could still be very cultural, multiethnic, with nice things to do with my little family, but without being as big as Montreal.
I hope I did'nt offend you by saying stuff about Montreal, I'm just trying to know what would be best for me ;-)
Thanks for answering me :-)

@that Ottawa one: interresting info on school! I'm thinking a lot about Ottawa for my son. I would love for him to go to an english school! I'll investigate more on this. Thanks for answering!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 05:54 PM
 
35,316 posts, read 48,015,948 times
Reputation: 30901
i'm getting an impression by your post that you dont know much about Ottawa, as you're statement of "WHat do you mean by «I think you'll find its just a smaller version of Montreal» ? Can you be more specific?" should be self evident if you've spent much time in Ottawa, its a smaller city and therefore doesnt have as much to offer as Montreal does.Before you start packing everything in boxes i'd take a few exploratory trips to the Ottawa area to make sure its where you really want to be..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Montreal
24 posts, read 107,779 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i'm getting an impression by your post that you dont know much about Ottawa, as you're statement of "WHat do you mean by «I think you'll find its just a smaller version of Montreal» ? Can you be more specific?" should be self evident if you've spent much time in Ottawa, its a smaller city and therefore doesnt have as much to offer as Montreal does.Before you start packing everything in boxes i'd take a few exploratory trips to the Ottawa area to make sure its where you really want to be..
Of course I know its smaller.. and I will go explore more.
Less to offer?? I'm not the kind of person that needs a lot of things to do as I live a pretty calm life. I'm not a fan of festivals and night clubs. I'm looking for a friendly city, with good job opportunity with great schools and less stressfull than a big city like Montreal.
I'm still unsure that I will like it and thats why I'm researching right now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:22 AM
 
536 posts, read 1,365,480 times
Reputation: 411
If you define one city as a smaller version of another city, you are basically saying they are similar.

I think Ottawa/Gatineau is quite different than Montreal. Some things better, some worse. I will say this: over the last 15 years, but mostly the last decade, Mtl has progressively deteriorated, and Ottawa/Gatineau has significantly improved.

Even if Mtl is better than Ottawa/Gatineau as a city (which I am no longer sure it is), if I lived in Mtl I could never help but feel that I am living in a way inferior Mtl than when I lived there all my life up to and including the mid-90s. That thought would always bug me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM
 
35,316 posts, read 48,015,948 times
Reputation: 30901
Quote:
Originally Posted by yassakiwi View Post
Of course I know its smaller.. and I will go explore more.
Less to offer?? I'm not the kind of person that needs a lot of things to do as I live a pretty calm life. I'm not a fan of festivals and night clubs. I'm looking for a friendly city, with good job opportunity with great schools and less stressfull than a big city like Montreal.
I'm still unsure that I will like it and thats why I'm researching right now.
Well then best of luck in your move to Ottawa, as you are doing research on the city maybe you would be the best person to give a critique on Ottawa and how it compares or doesnt compare to Montreal, future viewers of the topic may also wish to move from Montreal and Ottawa as its a fairly close option..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Montreal
24 posts, read 107,779 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Well then best of luck in your move to Ottawa, as you are doing research on the city maybe you would be the best person to give a critique on Ottawa and how it compares or doesnt compare to Montreal, future viewers of the topic may also wish to move from Montreal and Ottawa as its a fairly close option..
Are you from Montreal?

I'm not sure I'm the best person for this, as you said...
However, I've read another topic on this forum about the Ottawa/Gatineau region and it was very interresting and instructive...Thanks for sharing anyway!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Montreal
24 posts, read 107,779 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
If you define one city as a smaller version of another city, you are basically saying they are similar.

I think Ottawa/Gatineau is quite different than Montreal. Some things better, some worse. I will say this: over the last 15 years, but mostly the last decade, Mtl has progressively deteriorated, and Ottawa/Gatineau has significantly improved.

Even if Mtl is better than Ottawa/Gatineau as a city (which I am no longer sure it is), if I lived in Mtl I could never help but feel that I am living in a way inferior Mtl than when I lived there all my life up to and including the mid-90s. That thought would always bug me.

I thought they were very different too! but what do I know...maybe I'm wrong!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top