Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:12 AM

2 posts, read 41,443 times

Advertisements

hello, iam American living in London, Ontario. I got my canadian wife who have got job in Ottawa, I have never been there, so i googled pictures and it looks very cold place, so it big defrence from Toronto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 PM

132 posts, read 364,416 times
Ottawa is nicer than Toronto, but colder. The good part of this is that you get a real winter, the snow stays, where in Toronto it comes and goes. It's smaller, but has as many amenities and fewer problems than Toronto does. If you're interested in outdoor activities or just escaping the city with ease, Ottawa is much better. However, Toronto is much better for the big ethnic neighborhoods, and has a much better urban feel to it, Ottawa feels more suburban. I've lived in both, I like both, but I prefer Ottawa, probably because I'm more outdoors oriented. I have friends who prefer Toronto as they are more urban-focused.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 PM

106 posts, read 336,325 times
True Ottawa is much colder than Toronto in the winter, however honestly there isn't much difference between the two during the summer months. Ottawa is actually a little more humid than Toronto and temperature wise its a draw. The air is definitley CLEANER in Ottawa compared to Toronto. I live in TO now but prefer Ottawa. What drew me to Toronto originally was the huge cosmopolitan feel and urban feel..something you can't get in Ottawa. The Ottawa area has more green space and traffic isn't anywhere as bad as Toronto. Ottawa also maybe colder than TO in the winter but gets more sunnier days than the big smoke too. Still don't mind Toronto though..it's my home for now!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock47 View Post
True Ottawa is much colder than Toronto in the winter, however honestly there isn't much difference between the two during the summer months. Ottawa is actually a little more humid than Toronto and temperature wise its a draw. The air is definitley CLEANER in Ottawa compared to Toronto. I live in TO now but prefer Ottawa. What drew me to Toronto originally was the huge cosmopolitan feel and urban feel..something you can't get in Ottawa. The Ottawa area has more green space and traffic isn't anywhere as bad as Toronto. Ottawa also maybe colder than TO in the winter but gets more sunnier days than the big smoke too. Still don't mind Toronto though..it's my home for now!
Does Ottawa get smog alert warnings? I'm prone to asthma and I had to be careful in Toronto during the smog alert days in the summer... I could tell that I had to be careful..
Personally I love Ottawa.. but have only been in the summer..

Old 01-06-2010, 12:03 AM

106 posts, read 336,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Does Ottawa get smog alert warnings? I'm prone to asthma and I had to be careful in Toronto during the smog alert days in the summer... I could tell that I had to be careful..
Personally I love Ottawa.. but have only been in the summer..
Yes but not nearly as many as Toronto. Unfortunately Ottawa is in a valley so on hot days it can very humid with temperatures in excess of 35C (humidex levels). If you are asmatic, then I suggest Ottawa over Toronto. In winter months Ottawa is colder but the air is fresher by far!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 35,100 times
Default Ottawa is a great city!

We get plenty of sunshine all year round. Yes, the winters are cold, but dry. The homes here are well insulated so you're comfortable year round.

The crime rate is low and choices of cultural activities is high.

It's a great place to raise a family, and it's close enough to Montreal and Toronto for weekend getaways.

You can buy cottages around here fairly cheap which is a huge bonus if you like lake swimming.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 AM

6 posts, read 65,861 times
I live in Montreal, two hours by car from Ottawa. I mention this because I moved to Ottawa for a period of 6 years (work related) and at first, I couldn't wait for the weekends to return to Montreal. I know that highway very well.
But a funny thing happened...I started making friends and accepted the fact that I would be in Ottawa for a long period. I started to really enjoy the city. Although the temperature is very cold in the winter, the city is very beautiful in all seasons. I have fond memories of walks along the Rideau Canal. If you are a cyclist it is a great place to live. There are areas like the Byward Market that are quite interesting and you can find pretty much anything you want. There are lots of museums and galleries. The National Arts Centre is a great cultural facility.
The restaurant/entertainment scene has improved over the years but it still does not compare to Toronto or Montreal. The central business district is quite dead on the weekends but not unpleasant and deserted. You always feel safe walking around.
Most people work for the governments (local, provincial and definitely federal) so there is a large middle/upper middle class. If I have a negative comment about the Ottawa region it would be that it lacks an urban "edge". For some folk this would be a positive attribute.
You hear mostly english and french on the streets. I like the fact that it is on the border with the province of Quebec. A lot of the really beautiful nature is on the Quebec side i.e. Gatineau Park, ski resorts etc.
As my friends have pointed out...Ottawa "grows on you". If you are from a large city it takes some time to accept the slower pace. But it is a very nice city and most tourists are pleasantly surprised when they visit.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:32 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,748 times
excy, great description. I had the pleasure of visiting Ottawa in 2003 for about a week and a half. I had no expectations whatsoever but was pleasantly surprised. It was a great place to explore on foot and by bike. And for a city its size, it has an amazing collection of impressive museums.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:40 PM

93,222 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
excy, great description. I had the pleasure of visiting Ottawa in 2003 for about a week and a half. I had no expectations whatsoever but was pleasantly surprised. It was a great place to explore on foot and by bike. And for a city its size, it has an amazing collection of impressive museums.
and beautiful architecture too. People there seem to be nice in general.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 AM

765 posts, read 2,440,151 times
Quote:
Yes, the winters are cold, but dry
Seriously? Umm...Cold and wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau