Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 12:48 PM

16 posts, read 95,335 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I currently live in Montreal, just finished my graduate program in McGill, I'm currently looking for a job but it's very hard here to get a good job even if I'm fully bilingual, I don't know why but the job market here really s****. So, I'm considering to move elsewhere, was debating between Toronto and Ottawa, but then thought about Gatineau! yeah Gatineau, why not? I have been living in Quebec province for 3 years now so it will allow me at least to keep my advantages (gov health insurance for ex).

My question is: How is the job market in Gatineau? I heard that most people over there work with government. I'm fully bilingual and studied HR Management, what are my chances there??

Many thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Assuming you are a Canadian citizen, there are many jobs in Gatineau and Ottawa for bilingual people in HR with the government (check out the salaries for the PE category on the web by googling it). Especially if you are bilingual. The government has cut back significantly in the past two or three years but the worst of that is over it appears and things are likely starting to loosen up again.

As for government health insurance, well you would not lose that if you moved to Ontario or any other province. There is a bit of paperwork but it's not that big a deal.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Assuming you are a Canadian citizen, there are many jobs in Gatineau and Ottawa for bilingual people in HR with the government (check out the salaries for the PE category on the web by googling it). Especially if you are bilingual. The government has cut back significantly in the past two or three years but the worst of that is over it appears and things are likely starting to loosen up again.

As for government health insurance, well you would not lose that if you moved to Ontario or any other province. There is a bit of paperwork but it's not that big a deal.
Thanks for your answer, I'm not a canadian resident though, am a PR, would that make a difference??

Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,890 times
Most government jobs go to Canadian Citizen first. But you can always work as a contractor. Better money too.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:38 PM
s.b

1 posts, read 1,732 times
Hi Acajack,

We are a family of four shortly moving to Canada under Quebec nomination so we have to live in either Montreal or Gatineau. We have got our PR and should be there by June or July this year.

Please guide which city you feel will be a better choice especially since we are anglophones, with zero french competency, though we do plan to learn.

A little bit about us.

My wife and I are from business background and wish to start as bookkeepers. Maybe take a Bookkeeping Diploma from Algonquin College? Please suggest.

My elder son is 23 and into software programming and will be looking for a job in the IT sector. We are anxious to hear from you about his chances for a job in Ottawa as compared to Montreal.

Our younger (18) one will join university either UOttawa or Carleton.

Look forward to your suggestions and THANKS in advance !!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:42 AM

I advice you to settle down in Gatineau and work in Ottawa, both cities are like 10 min away by car.

Forget about Montreal, I live here and you MUST be bilingual and when I say bilingual it means you MUST speak fluent french and fluent english. Especially if you work as bookeeper, all the laws and regulations in quebec are in french only, how are you gonna work??

For your 18 son, UOttawa would be better. And for your 23 son, ottawa too would be better (less competition in the job market), he can contact the placement agencies over there that are specialized in IT staffing like Eagle, Excel and they sure will get him a job.

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:35 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
I agree with the previous poster.

It would be difficult to find bookkeeping jobs in Quebec without knowing French. Though some companies in Quebec might keep their at least some of their books in English they have to file tax info with the Quebec government in French, plus many invoices, etc. from suppliers, clients, etc. will be in French.

Best bet is to settle in Gatineau and look for jobs in Ottawa.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:45 AM

21 posts, read 35,915 times
I'm in a similiar situation too. We are living in Montreal now and although we are billingual we are finding it hard to get work and i have come to accept the fact that it will be better to move somewhere else where english is predominant. So next week we will be visiting Gatineau to see if we will like it there.

myriambh i work in HR too, is the job market tough as in Montreal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau