Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 03:39 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,098 times

Advertisements

Might one have a nice, short micro-vacation in Ottawa without knowing French? I am planning for some traveling this summer and would like to see "old city" Ottawa and walk the Rideau Canal. Ottawa rates an "OK" in walkability on other city sites. . . Could you do 3 or 4 days with no car, easily?
I consider myself very well traveled in America, but embarrassingly enough, am totally ignorant of our northern neighbor.
We really would like to see "olde world" architecture/culture, and would endeavor not to be the "ugly american" stereotype doing so

Bonne journée mes amis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 04:22 PM

484 posts, read 1,285,869 times
The majority of people in Ottawa speak English

Old 11-30-2014, 02:07 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
As mentioned, while Ottawa has a significant French speaking minority (~15%) and is an officially bilingual municipality, it is majority English speaking, and is on the Ontario side of the Ottawa river, which means it is located in a province where English is the official language. This means you will have no trouble there since English is the main language used. If you cross the river you will enter Ottawa's sister city/suburb, Gatineau, which is in Quebec and is majority French speaking. English is widely spoken as a second language in Gatineau, but the polite thing to do would be to learn some basic French phrases and ask in French if people speak English when you begin an encounter. People will generally be quite happy to help tourists, especially Americans for whom there is no reasonable expectation of French language abilities.

Ottawa is a small capital city with some fine old buildings around Parliament hill that I think you will enjoy greatly. You should tour parliament, visit the Byward market, and hit a few of the local museums. That said, I think you may feel a little disappointed if you are coming and expecting a grand European capital. Ottawa was a small town until it was designated the new capital in the late 19th century and most of its growth occurred in the 20th century. It has a decent public transit system, but it is bus based for now, the first of the city's subway/lrt lines is under construction and isn't due to open for another 2 years.

If what you are looking for is old architecture and a walkable, French speaking city I would recommend that after seeing what there is to see in Ottawa, you should take a bus to Montreal, which is an hour and a half to the east. It is nearly 200 years older and its old city is large and well preserved. It is a city of towering cathedrals and basilicas, truly walkable urbanity, horse drawn carriages, and it feels more historic and less typically North American then Ottawa does, on the whole, even if Ottawa is indeed no Phoenix, Arizona.

Montreal has these wonderful characteristics, but it is also a huge metropolis that has things like a large subway system, soaring skyscrapers, and underground pedways. You may find it is not as wholly historic, quaint, and olde world as you would like. Probably the best choice for you in that department would be neither Ottawa or Montreal, but Quebec City. This city, which is very French, has a city centre that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is incredibly well preserved and historic, and is a smaller city then Montreal and even a little smaller then Ottawa, while still being respectably sized. It is incredibly charming and "old world", as it was Canada's largest city from ~1620 up until about ~1840, and it shows as it is a really wonderfully historic city architecturally. This would be my best bet for you, and if you are in the main tourist areas you should be able to muddle by in English, although outside of this area it would indeed likely be a bit harder to find English speakers then in Montreal, which has a bilingual character despite being majority French.

Hitting all three would likely be an incredible trip, but I was just laying out the characteristics of each as you said you knew very little about Canada and you expressed an interest in a historic, French speaking city.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 11-30-2014 at 03:32 PM..

Old 11-30-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
As mentioned, while Ottawa has a significant French speaking
If what you are looking for is old architecture and a walkable, French speaking city I would recommend that after seeing what there is to see in Ottawa, you should take a bus to Montreal, which is an hour and a half to the east. It is nearly 200 years older and its old city is large and well preserved. It is a city of towering cathedrals and basilicas, truly walkable urbanity, horse drawn carriages, and it feels more historic and less typically North American then Ottawa does, on the whole, even if Ottawa is indeed no Phoenix, Arizona.

Montreal has these wonderful characteristics, but it is also a huge metropolis that has things like a large subway system, towering skyscrapers, and underground pedways. You may find it is not as wholly historic, quaint, and olde world as you would like. Probably the best choice for you in that department would be neither Ottawa or Montreal, but Quebec City. This city, which is very French, has a city centre that is a Unesco World Heritage Site. It is incredibly well preserved and historic, and is a smaller city then Montreal and even a little smaller then Ottawa, while still being respectably sized. It is incredibly charming and "old world", as it was Canada's largest city from ~1620 up until about ~1840, and it shows as it is a really wonderfully historic city. This would be my best bet for you, and if you are in the main tourist areas you should be able to muddle by in English, although outside of this area it would indeed likely be a bit harder to find English speakers then in Montreal, which has a bilingual character despite being majority French.
Thank you so much BIMBAM! So much info! I really appreciate you taking time to post what you did.
After reading this, I might re-think our Canadian adventure . . .
I saw a Public TV piece on Ottawa that was very intriguing. The sites they showed and being relatively close, combined with some random research, made me want to visit.
I have French books that are filled with phrases used in travel most situations that I was studying for an adventure a few years ago, so I will get them out, study, and hope it will be enough to get around and show the people we encounter we want to assimilate. Even if I obliterate the language, I feel it is a good way to ingratiate ourselves with our hosts and will actually add to the experience. I am embarrassed how little I know about Canada, but after reading this, I think I might concentrate my research around Quebec/Montreal.
Again, thank you very much for taking time to post this wonderful information! I really appreciate it and will use it to plan this summers adventure!

Regards from Kentucky, USA . . .

Old 11-30-2014, 03:53 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,004 times
"Walk" the Rideau Canal?
Skate that damn thing!
That's my idea of a vacation!

Old 11-30-2014, 04:19 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
I'm very glad I could be of help to you, and thank you for taking an interest in my country

For the record, I'm not saying that Ottawa isn't a worthwhile tourist destination, and it may still be enjoyable for you. To help you make a decision, here are some short tourist videos for the three cities that I think give a good feel for what a trip to each would be like. For Ottawa itself, the best time to come would be July 1st which is Canada Day. The capital throws a massive celebration and it is quite a spectacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obq42HOkG54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Ob9qpmeLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nttBVyi75sY

And heck, for anyone interested here are some other beautiful places in Canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFrZNjs2ng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1QSZ_iexoY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThFCg0tBDck

Old 12-01-2014, 03:45 AM

Excellent!!

Thank you.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:15 AM

909 posts, read 1,152,832 times
I remember when I visited Ottawa I heard French everywhere around the streets. All the street and construction signs had both languages as well. It truly felt like a bilingual city to me. Even more than Montreal because I saw and heard both languages everywhere, not just predominately French or English. That's why I always think Ottawa is the most bilingual city in Canada because it seems that way when you walk around the streets in Ottawa you constantly hear both French and English everywhere. But in reality it is Montreal. But it was really nice hearing both languages outside of Quebec. But you will have no problem visiting Ottawa without French. You wouldn't have a problem visiting Quebec City without French as well, though learning a few words and phrases is a plus.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:47 AM

106 posts, read 336,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Might one have a nice, short micro-vacation in Ottawa without knowing French? I am planning for some traveling this summer and would like to see "old city" Ottawa and walk the Rideau Canal. Ottawa rates an "OK" in walkability on other city sites. . . Could you do 3 or 4 days with no car, easily?
I consider myself very well traveled in America, but embarrassingly enough, am totally ignorant of our northern neighbor.
We really would like to see "olde world" architecture/culture, and would endeavor not to be the "ugly american" stereotype doing so

Bonne journée mes amis!
French? Boy you are uniformed! The overwhelming majority of people there rank their mother tongue as English my friend. Aside from a few pockets here and there, most people speak English first. Take for example Ottawa West, I doubt if you walk through the Carlingwood mall on Friday night that you'll hear a single verse in French for that matter. It is just the area you are in.

I'd be that me having to learn Spanish before I go on a trip to SF, wondering to myself if anyone in the Bay area speaks English?? Totally hogwash but do you see the parallel I'm trying to make??

Old 02-11-2015, 11:03 AM

106 posts, read 336,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I remember when I visited Ottawa I heard French everywhere around the streets.
They were probably government workers from Quebec hoping the bridges to work in Ottawa. . What area of town were you walking in? If this was during the day before the government was dismissed and you were downtown then it's possible that you would have heard a mixture of both languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau