Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,771 times

Advertisements

I have been in this city for about 2 years and I find the nightlife to be geared towards a very young population, especially in the Market. I find myself lacking options when I want to put on my dancing shoes or simply enjoy some great music.

So where do people around my age go out in this city (extra points if you mention places outside of the Elgin area)? Are there places that are popular amongst people from diverse backgrounds (Latinos, Blacks, Arabs, Asians,etc), especially those in the late 20s age range? Are there some off the radar places to discover, esp. in Vanier, Overbrook, Aylmer, and more? Thanks for responding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 07:19 PM

3,426 posts, read 4,331,792 times
I'm too old to answer this question with much accuracy, but there isn't a huge club scene in Ottawa. Byward Market and Elgin are most of it, alas... Ottawa's just not a party place at all. There are a handful of other clubs here and there around the city, but I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about the clientele. There's a list of all nightclubs in Ottawa here, with links to their websites:
Ottawa Nightclubs listing, often recognized as the best Nightclubs in Ottawa
Ottawa Nightclubs | clubZone

Clubzone is pretty comprehensive. It's a good source for the nightclubs in any large city in Canada. You can look up what's in Gatineau, there aren't many nightclubs there, but the crowds do tend to be a bit more diverse, or they were years ago anyway. Vanier isn't known for fun nightclubs, it has a scruffy night scene. A few good restaurants, but Montreal Road is the main drag, and there isn't too much there for dancing.

There are a handful of live music venues around town. I'll mention the main ones. Big concerts are at Scotiabank Place. There are concerts at the National Arts Centre (there are small stages too, and it isn't all classical). There are also concerts at Centrepoint Theatre in Nepean, and the Shenkman Arts Centre in Orleans. Irene's and the Atomic Rooster on Bank Street have live music, just small local bands. Over in Gatineau there's live music at La Nouvelle Scène in Gatineau, Cabaret La Basoche (Gatineau - Aylmer sector), and Salle Jean-Despréz. The Black Sheep Inn up in Wakefield, Quebec is popular for live music (heavy on the folk).

And by now you've heard of Bluesfest, Jazzfest, Folkfest, etc.

People in their 20s often get together in groups to go down to Montreal for the weekend to hit up the clubs there, or the winter or summer festivals.

If you can read/write French, it might be a good idea to find a francophone forum online for Gatineau or Ottawa, they could probably tell you a lot more about where the young people are hanging out these days to dance, than I could here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau