Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2021, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,927 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a soon to be CEGEP student in Montreal and I am contemplating on whether or not to stay in Montreal or move to a nearby Canadian city such as Ottawa to start out my career. I am unsure about my future in Montreal because of the language issues with french and english. I can speak french, ( I don't know if it is at a work level) read and write in french well, but I will always feel more comfortable speaking english. While doing some research on what cities I could move to, I really liked Ottawa because it is close to Montreal and I have several family members there. However, I realized that it is a bilingual city as well, but more English than French.

So, this brings me to my question: Are there any english only jobs in Ottawa in the finance or Logistics and supply chain industries? I know that most if not all government jobs are bilingual, but are there jobs from medium or big companies that only require English? I know there might be some jobs like this in Montreal but they are few and far between. Thanks for reading and I apologize if my post is wrongly formatted as it's my first one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 06:56 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,485,470 times
i suppose it depends on what field you will work in, private sector jobs I would suggest demand English as a requirement and French as an asset, so whilst we might think we are a bilingual city its is heavily in favour of the Anglophones

Old 08-19-2021, 09:36 AM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times
Porterjack is correct.

The private sector in Ottawa is surprisingly (to some) English only. French is definitely an asset but hardly essential.

There are also even federal government jobs available to those who speak only English and just a bit of French. It's more hit and miss than the private sector but still not impossible.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,927 times
Thank you Acajack and Porterjack, your replies answered all of my questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau