U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 10:11 PM

546 posts, read 874,866 times

Advertisements

I find it very funny when people outside Canada or some even inside have no clue about a city called Ottawa which is the CAPITAL of the nation whereas everyone seems to know Vancouver and Toronto
Here's the Thing....I am going for a one year study program to either Ottawa or Toronto and I am confused on which should I choose:
My main issues being
1.)Being an Indian(from India) I dont care about ethnic restaurants,I want to experience Canadian food and immerse myself in the culture so food choices are not an issue

2.)Travelling-I am more the cycling,walking kind of a person(voluntarily)....LA was a chore whereas NYC was haven.....so which city is better as far as public transportation/cycling distances are concerned

3.)Films/opportunities-I want to understand Canadian cinema because although Ive watched some,I find it intriguing that such a fascinating nation with so many talented folks(most of whom immigrate to HOLLYWOOD) do not produce features of that caliber.Where is the networking scene better

4.)Expenses-Daily expenses like food and rent would be round about the same but I would love a clear picture.

Thanks for any responses and I look forward to visiting some fine cities.
Cheerio
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:58 AM

287 posts, read 972,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
1.)Being an Indian(from India) I dont care about ethnic restaurants,I want to experience Canadian food and immerse myself in the culture so food choices are not an issue
Toronto has a wide variety of ethnic restaurants. Ottawa's restaurant scene probably isn't bad either, I'm sure. A lot of purely "Canadian Cuisine" originated from Quebec, though. Ottawa is on the Ontario-Quebec border. But I think either city would be satisfactory for you in that regard.

Quote:
2.)Travelling-I am more the cycling,walking kind of a person(voluntarily)....LA was a chore whereas NYC was haven.....so which city is better as far as public transportation/cycling distances are concerned
Toronto has subways, light rail, streetcars and buses. Ottawa just has buses and light rail. Toronto's transit system is far from perfect but it's much better than Ottawa's. Either city is good for biking generally but maybe not in Ottawa winters.

Quote:
3.)Films/opportunities-I want to understand Canadian cinema because although Ive watched some,I find it intriguing that such a fascinating nation with so many talented folks(most of whom immigrate to HOLLYWOOD) do not produce features of that caliber.Where is the networking scene better
Definitely Toronto. It's the media capital of English Canada. In fact, we'll be hosting the Bollywood film awards next year. As to why we don't have a more prominent film industry here....well, that's the subject for another thread.

Quote:
4.)Expenses-Daily expenses like food and rent would be round about the same but I would love a clear picture.
As far as rent Toronto is higher.

Hope that helps for now but maybe a native Ottawan can add more.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:30 AM

25,735 posts, read 33,958,738 times
Quote:
The only part of Canada that has a dynamic film industry that lots of people go out and watch is Quebec. Almost all of these movies are in French and are produced in Montreal. They are generally totally unknown (except as repertory/art house films sometimes, often only after they have become popular internationally) in the rest of Canada, which is mostly English-speaking as you know.

It varies from year to year but generally speaking Quebec movies have between 15% and 30% of the film market in Quebec. American movies have about 70-75% of the market in Quebec and movies from other countries (European, mostly France of course) between 5% and 10%.

This may not seem like a lot to someone from India but consider that in the rest of Canada, Canadian films (made in English!) have less than 1% of the market. And Quebec's domestic cinema has a bigger market share than many European film industries have in their own countries.

The most popular movie of the year in Quebec in 2009 was a Quebec-made film, which beat out Harry Potter, Star Trek, and everything else from Hollywood.

You are right that (English) Canada has a lot of talented people, but as you said most of them move very quickly to Hollywood to make American films and TV shows.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:13 PM

6,329 posts, read 8,524,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The only part of Canada that has a dynamic film industry that lots of people go out and watch is Quebec. Almost all of these movies are in French and are produced in Montreal. They are generally totally unknown (except as repertory/art house films sometimes, often only after they have become popular internationally) in the rest of Canada, which is mostly English-speaking as you know.

It varies from year to year but generally speaking Quebec movies have between 15% and 30% of the film market in Quebec. American movies have about 70-75% of the market in Quebec and movies from other countries (European, mostly France of course) between 5% and 10%.

This may not seem like a lot to someone from India but consider that in the rest of Canada, Canadian films (made in English!) have less than 1% of the market. And Quebec's domestic cinema has a bigger market share than many European film industries have in their own countries.

The most popular movie of the year in Quebec in 2009 was a Quebec-made film, which beat out Harry Potter, Star Trek, and everything else from Hollywood.

You are right that (English) Canada has a lot of talented people, but as you said most of them move very quickly to Hollywood to make American films and TV shows.
If there are so many Canadians at Hollywood, I guess we can argue that it's more the of North American center of entertainment not only for the United States.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:22 AM

25,735 posts, read 33,958,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
If there are so many Canadians at Hollywood, I guess we can argue that it's more the of North American center of entertainment not only for the United States.
I have heard this many times, but if you look at what comes out of Hollywood, that place sees its role as the producer of the national popular culture of the United States of America. There are never any Hollywood-produced sitcoms, dramas or movies set in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver, in spite of the fact that these "North American" cities are much larger than many U.S. cities that have appeared in Hollywood movies and TV.

I hate to sound harsh but the absence of a full complement of original Canadian stuff has led many people to buy into this illusion that they "share" Hollywood with people from the United States.

But the reality is that it is a one-way relationship: Canadians see that sharing and sometimes take pride in it, but (the vast majority of) Americans don't.

Sorry, but there really isn't anything Canadian about Saturday Night Live (Lorne Michaels), Uncle Buck (John Candy), Dragnet (Dan Aykroyd), The David Letterman Show (Paul Schaffer), Jeopardy (Alex Trebek), Deal or No Deal (Howie Mandel) or Avatar (James Cameron)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau