Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:36 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,567,847 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that the term "pagan" is applied to anyone who disagrees with what another is saying/believing.

From the time before modern recognized religion to now, all religions can be considered "pagan". This also includes, although not a religion, atheists.

Perhaps the term should be dropped or at least better defined from a human point of view.

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 01:45 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,406,271 times
Meanings of the terms Pagan and Paganism

This page is simple and interesting. When a Christian calls someone a Pagan today it is almost a derogatory term isn't it?

Old 07-04-2010, 04:55 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,586,817 times
For most purposes "pagan" is too vague. It basically just meant any polytheistic religion. In the few cases I've used it I think of it more as religions with somewhat simple/uncomplicated theologies that can roughly be deemed either animist or shamanic. Shinto is probably the main "pagan" religion in existence. Although some forms of Chinese folk religion could fit under the catch-all "pagan" umbrella. American Indian religions are generally "pagan" although a few of the Mayas or Incas developed a complex enough theology they might not fit what I'm meaning.

Or "pagan" could mean any "tribal", i.e. non-universalizing, religion that's polytheistic. So the ancient Romans, the Incas, the Mayas, and maybe the Hindus would count as pagan. Although many Hindus see their pantheon as aspects of a single All-God so Hinduism might not fit.

Mostly the term "pagan" has fallen out of favor and I really don't see it much among Christians under age 50. The main recent usage I recall relates to the genocide that went on in Southern Sudan. (Not Darfur, this was before Darfur and in many ways worse than it) The news reports said of the Islamist forces that they massacred "the Christian and Pagan populations." The only other modern usage I recall is among self-described Neo-Pagans and Wicca.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:52 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,567,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
For most purposes "pagan" is too vague. It basically just meant any polytheistic religion. In the few cases I've used it I think of it more as religions with somewhat simple/uncomplicated theologies that can roughly be deemed either animist or shamanic. Shinto is probably the main "pagan" religion in existence. Although some forms of Chinese folk religion could fit under the catch-all "pagan" umbrella. American Indian religions are generally "pagan" although a few of the Mayas or Incas developed a complex enough theology they might not fit what I'm meaning.

Or "pagan" could mean any "tribal", i.e. non-universalizing, religion that's polytheistic. So the ancient Romans, the Incas, the Mayas, and maybe the Hindus would count as pagan. Although many Hindus see their pantheon as aspects of a single All-God so Hinduism might not fit.

Mostly the term "pagan" has fallen out of favor and I really don't see it much among Christians under age 50. The main recent usage I recall relates to the genocide that went on in Southern Sudan. (Not Darfur, this was before Darfur and in many ways worse than it) The news reports said of the Islamist forces that they massacred "the Christian and Pagan populations." The only other modern usage I recall is among self-described Neo-Pagans and Wicca.
All valid points, but this answer doesn't address the point. Long before the modern religions came into existence, these "pagans" existed. If disagreeing with modern religions is "pagan", why doesn't the same logic apply from the pagan point of view as to the modern religious point of view?

After all, the "pagans" existed well before modern religion so these modern religions could be considered "pagan" to the previous belief systems.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:25 PM

815 posts, read 1,545,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
It seems to me that the term "pagan" is applied to anyone who disagrees with what another is saying/believing.

From the time before modern recognized religion to now, all religions can be considered "pagan". This also includes, although not a religion, atheists.

Perhaps the term should be dropped or at least better defined from a human point of view.

Comments?
Pogan is an old word "Poogni" - Pass through fire . With books of the "Mongolian" period, it is possible to find such words: "Pass through fire, bow to the Sun and the Idol". These named "Po ogni". In us use a word "Pogani" a little. Speak: "Language".

Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,586,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
All valid points, but this answer doesn't address the point. Long before the modern religions came into existence, these "pagans" existed. If disagreeing with modern religions is "pagan", why doesn't the same logic apply from the pagan point of view as to the modern religious point of view?

After all, the "pagans" existed well before modern religion so these modern religions could be considered "pagan" to the previous belief systems.
I think you call a religion that comes after "heretical" or "a cult" or "apostate." Christians do not refer to Islam, or did not in my experience, as "pagan."

The Roman pagans sometimes referred to Christians as "atheist" for rejecting the gods and the rules involved in placating the gods. Most Westerners who call themselves "pagan" though are more like restorationists or revivalists. They aren't following some continuous school of paganism, they are trying to revive paganism they feel was unfairly crushed. So, for most purposes, they are not older than Christianity. The "pagans" that might be older than Christianity (Shinto, African traditional religions, American Indian traditional religions, Hinduism by some thinking) have various views of Christianity. Some Shintos have a great respect for Christian or they just don't care. American Indian traditional religions, judging by some writers of those faiths, associate Christianity to imperialism but sometimes hold highly positive views of Jesus. In a few cases they would even adapt elements from Christian stories to their mythology. Members of African traditional religions seem to be in decline as they convert to Islam and Christianity. So I don't think there is a set "pagan" view.

Nor is there a set Christian view of "pagans." C. S. Lewis was positive about many things in pre-Christian European paganism. More positive than I am anyway. I think American Indian and African traditional religions have much of value. Sometimes Christians can be too dour and many American Indian faiths have a good sense of beauty and humor. (The Hopi even have clowns/jokesters as like an official religious vocation)

Old 07-04-2010, 09:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,716,096 times
Pagans are those who do not follow the 7 Noahide Commandents.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:51 PM

815 posts, read 1,545,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think you call a religion that comes after "heretical" or "a cult" or "apostate." Christians do not refer to Islam, or did not in my experience, as "pagan."

The Roman pagans sometimes referred to Christians as "atheist" for rejecting the gods and the rules involved in placating the gods. Most Westerners who call themselves "pagan" though are more like restorationists or revivalists. They aren't following some continuous school of paganism, they are trying to revive paganism they feel was unfairly crushed. So, for most purposes, they are not older than Christianity. The "pagans" that might be older than Christianity (Shinto, African traditional religions, American Indian traditional religions, Hinduism by some thinking) have various views of Christianity. Some Shintos have a great respect for Christian or they just don't care. American Indian traditional religions, judging by some writers of those faiths, associate Christianity to imperialism but sometimes hold highly positive views of Jesus. In a few cases they would even adapt elements from Christian stories to their mythology. Members of African traditional religions seem to be in decline as they convert to Islam and Christianity. So I don't think there is a set "pagan" view.

Nor is there a set Christian view of "pagans." C. S. Lewis was positive about many things in pre-Christian European paganism. More positive than I am anyway. I think American Indian and African traditional religions have much of value. Sometimes Christians can be too dour and many American Indian faiths have a good sense of beauty and humor. (The Hopi even have clowns/jokesters as like an official religious vocation)
Runiks images are more senior than Induizm, Christianity and Islam. It is called "transition from an image to letters".

Old 07-05-2010, 01:31 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,742,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloy View Post
Pogan is an old word "Poogni" - Pass through fire . With books of the "Mongolian" period, it is possible to find such words: "Pass through fire, bow to the Sun and the Idol". These named "Po ogni". In us use a word "Pogani" a little. Speak: "Language".
"Pogan"?? Sorry, I think you have the wrong thread and word...

"Pagan":
Quote:
[14th century. < late Latin paganus "heathen, non-Christian," in classical Latin "villager, civilian" < pagus "rural district"]
pagan definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

Old 07-05-2010, 10:04 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,880,042 times
The only Pagans I ever knew were members of a motorcycle gang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism