Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,607 times

Advertisements

I asked my human friend to write down these words for me. You may wonder why a cat wishes to express an opinion on a subject – religion – usually considered of exclusive human interest. But the problem is exactly that for too long it has been considered only a human matter.
For millennia humans have been told that they are the ‘masters of the planet’, made on image of a bossy all-powerful god. That made them feel free to use and abuse the environment and to take the lives of all other living beings at will. Unsurprisingly, most people still have no problem in believing this convenient absurdity. Which thief or murder would not like to believe that it is in his right to perform heinous crimes?
In relatively recent times some people have begun to raise doubts about the idea of an old man in the sky that allows them to do everything they want to those – like me – who are different from them. Those doubts grew and brought many changes in language and thought, except in the most important one: humans continued to feel ‘special’, ‘superior’ to all other living beings, no more because of their ‘soul’ but because of their ‘reason’. What a progress! The god of reason has proved to be as destructive and oppressive as the old creator god from whom it was derived. It has produced the most extensive disappearance of species and natural habitats in the last sixty millions years. It has produced uncountable sufferings to human and non-human animals and represents the greatest threat that ever existed to life on this planet, as the pressure on the environment as well as on human societal structures is approaching a breaking point. Modernity (no matter if late or post-) is like a drunk driver speeding up in the night: unless he stops soon, the result will certainly be a disaster. But it is very difficult that he will understand the danger as long as he continues to believe that something (god or reason, it does not matter) will protect him from the consequences of his foolishness. No amount of technological power can suffice when the problems to solve are also those caused by that same power.
Certainly human beings are powerful: I can see it every day when my friend can provide me with the equivalent of a long hunt’s bounty simply by opening a can. And I admit without problems that I enjoy the comfort of the house that we share. But when I look at him I see another animal like me, someone – like me – who can do certain things but not others and whose life – like mine, like those of all living beings – is surrounded by mysteries.
Mystery: does this word surprise you? Of what does it make you think: ghosts? Aliens? The Bermuda Triangle? If so, this is another evidence of how much humans have deluded themselves. Reserving the word ‘mystery’ for those arguably dubious phenomena is equivalent to denying its presence in all other aspects of everybody’s experience. Only hubris can make someone believe to know what happens around him and what he can expect from the world. Any other animal recognizes that she lives in an uncertain world that has to be taken one step at the time, sniffing around cautiously. ‘Is that bush hiding a prey or a predator?’ ‘Is this plant eatable or poisonous?’ ‘Will I find a place of solace or a trap behind that corner?’ These – and many more – are the questions that even without words all animals must ask themselves at each step. And do not believe that this condition is limited to life in the wild, on the contrary. Human society, with its complexity, has only added to the mystery. Every day you can receive announcements about the dangers represented by substances or activities that seemed perfectly safe just a short while before. Events occur all over the world: how will they affect you and me? How can they be better understood? Who can be trusted or not?
For a very long time, the answer that humanity in its pride has given to mystery has been deeply contradictory. Monotheistic religions on one side affirm the ineffability of their god: ‘God moves in mysterious ways’ is a common saying. But, at the same time and without finding any problem with that, the followers of those same systems of beliefs can assert to know very well what God wants, beginning with their ‘ten commandments’ to whatever prohibition or enterprise to which they wish to give divine support. One God, one faith, one certainty, zero mystery.
What if, just for a moment, perhaps a moment of madness, humans would consider to embrace mystery instead of rejecting it? What may be the consequences of such a radical step?
To begin with, it would mean the end of that old trick called ‘truth’. Like all other animals, humans would have to recognize that what they grasp are only fragments, partial images of what occurs inside and outside of their minds. They could find patterns based on the data in their possession, but they would have also to admit that their collection of data is pathetically limited and that any apparent order may dissolve as soon as more data are acquired.
Ethics would be another delusion to be left behind. That would not mean that any kind of destructive behaviour should start (as if there is an absence of destructiveness now!) but that it could not be possible any longer to call ‘evil’ others’ positions and ‘righteous’ our own. Time would come for a real search of agreements and compromises. For sure it would not be easy nor always pretty and peaceful, but it would remove forever one of the most powerful weapons in the hands of those who exercise power over others: the pretence of ‘moral superiority’.
It would also mean the possibility – perhaps for the first time in the last ten thousands years and more – of recognizing all impulses and desires (those of ourselves as well as those of others) as equally valid and respectable, even if not necessarily all equally achievable. For too long ‘bestial’ has been the insult launched against all that challenges the conformity and the familiar ways of living. Humans without certainties would not have any claim of excellence above all other animals.
But perhaps the most important change would occur exactly in religion: all the religions and systems of beliefs (even if they emphatically deny to be religious) that profess to hold the explanation of what is beyond ‘appearance’ would loose their foundation. That would not mean – at all! – that a narrative of nothingness would prevail. Currently, the world is mostly divided between those who believe that there is a unity beyond the ‘confusion’ of experience and those who affirm that there is nothing. The humans who recognize their animalness could finally retrieve an ancient forgotten path: that of multiplicity.
Ancient Polytheism, in its many forms, is now mostly remembered as a collection of fanciful tales. Even when a sort of serious attention is paid to it, it is mostly to affirm that ‘at the end, in reality’ all the Gods are One. That is not Polytheism in its richest potentiality, but monotheism in disguise.
The Many who are countless, not only in their number but also in their attitudes and inclinations, are powerful representation of the plurality of experiences and sensations for all living beings. They offer infinite images of what is and can be, not of what should be.
This is not the time to discuss what or who the Many are, to provide lists of names and to narrate their stories. A radical, consistent Polytheism can never close its Pantheon nor make definitive its theogony. This is a very important point: the acceptance of Mystery is also and primarily an embrace of creativity in all its forms and applications. Without certainties, without a god/reason that forces humans to believe and behave in only one way, an infinite realm of possibility would open to all, humans and not. Efforts would be necessary and the transition would not be easy, but the reward would be the greatest that could ever be imagined.
The message that I want to give you – as a non-human living among humans – is one of hope. Life is hard and precarious and suffering is everywhere, but so is the possibility for joy. Non-human animals have much to share with their human cousins if these are open to listen and watch. There is a great strength in a worm that endures its daily struggle for survival. There is a great wisdom in birds, rodents and reptiles as they adapt and flourish in ways that may seem impossible. Strength and wisdom are offered to human beings as gifts: now more than ever, you may need them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Sorry friend - but you're going to have to learn to make paragraph breaks if you expect folks to read a post that long.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:51 AM

Maybe there is a problem with the way in which the text is shown on your browser, because I included all the necessary paragraph breaks. I admit that it is quite long, but that is because the topic is complex and important. There should be far more to say about it. I apologize for the effort required reading it, but would you like to say anything about the content?

Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Can't really make a comment on the contents if I can't read it. Sorry.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco55 View Post
I asked my human friend to write down these words for me. You may wonder why a cat wishes to express an opinion on a subject – religion – usually considered of exclusive human interest. But the problem is exactly that for too long it has been considered only a human matter.

For millennia humans have been told that they are the ‘masters of the planet’, made on image of a bossy all-powerful god. That made them feel free to use and abuse the environment and to take the lives of all other living beings at will. Unsurprisingly, most people still have no problem in believing this convenient absurdity. Which thief or murder would not like to believe that it is in his right to perform heinous crimes?

In relatively recent times some people have begun to raise doubts about the idea of an old man in the sky that allows them to do everything they want to those – like me – who are different from them. Those doubts grew and brought many changes in language and thought, except in the most important one: humans continued to feel ‘special’, ‘superior’ to all other living beings, no more because of their ‘soul’ but because of their ‘reason’. What a progress! The god of reason has proved to be as destructive and oppressive as the old creator god from whom it was derived. It has produced the most extensive disappearance of species and natural habitats in the last sixty millions years. It has produced uncountable sufferings to human and non-human animals and represents the greatest threat that ever existed to life on this planet, as the pressure on the environment as well as on human societal structures is approaching a breaking point. Modernity (no matter if late or post-) is like a drunk driver speeding up in the night: unless he stops soon, the result will certainly be a disaster. But it is very difficult that he will understand the danger as long as he continues to believe that something (god or reason, it does not matter) will protect him from the consequences of his foolishness. No amount of technological power can suffice when the problems to solve are also those caused by that same power.

Certainly human beings are powerful: I can see it every day when my friend can provide me with the equivalent of a long hunt’s bounty simply by opening a can. And I admit without problems that I enjoy the comfort of the house that we share. But when I look at him I see another animal like me, someone – like me – who can do certain things but not others and whose life – like mine, like those of all living beings – is surrounded by mysteries.

Mystery: does this word surprise you? Of what does it make you think: ghosts? Aliens? The Bermuda Triangle? If so, this is another evidence of how much humans have deluded themselves. Reserving the word ‘mystery’ for those arguably dubious phenomena is equivalent to denying its presence in all other aspects of everybody’s experience. Only hubris can make someone believe to know what happens around him and what he can expect from the world. Any other animal recognizes that she lives in an uncertain world that has to be taken one step at the time, sniffing around cautiously. ‘Is that bush hiding a prey or a predator?’ ‘Is this plant eatable or poisonous?’ ‘Will I find a place of solace or a trap behind that corner?’ These – and many more – are the questions that even without words all animals must ask themselves at each step. And do not believe that this condition is limited to life in the wild, on the contrary. Human society, with its complexity, has only added to the mystery. Every day you can receive announcements about the dangers represented by substances or activities that seemed perfectly safe just a short while before. Events occur all over the world: how will they affect you and me? How can they be better understood? Who can be trusted or not?

For a very long time, the answer that humanity in its pride has given to mystery has been deeply contradictory. Monotheistic religions on one side affirm the ineffability of their god: ‘God moves in mysterious ways’ is a common saying. But, at the same time and without finding any problem with that, the followers of those same systems of beliefs can assert to know very well what God wants, beginning with their ‘ten commandments’ to whatever prohibition or enterprise to which they wish to give divine support. One God, one faith, one certainty, zero mystery.

What if, just for a moment, perhaps a moment of madness, humans would consider to embrace mystery instead of rejecting it? What may be the consequences of such a radical step?
To begin with, it would mean the end of that old trick called ‘truth’. Like all other animals, humans would have to recognize that what they grasp are only fragments, partial images of what occurs inside and outside of their minds. They could find patterns based on the data in their possession, but they would have also to admit that their collection of data is pathetically limited and that any apparent order may dissolve as soon as more data are acquired.

Ethics would be another delusion to be left behind. That would not mean that any kind of destructive behaviour should start (as if there is an absence of destructiveness now!) but that it could not be possible any longer to call ‘evil’ others’ positions and ‘righteous’ our own. Time would come for a real search of agreements and compromises. For sure it would not be easy nor always pretty and peaceful, but it would remove forever one of the most powerful weapons in the hands of those who exercise power over others: the pretence of ‘moral superiority’.

It would also mean the possibility – perhaps for the first time in the last ten thousands years and more – of recognizing all impulses and desires (those of ourselves as well as those of others) as equally valid and respectable, even if not necessarily all equally achievable. For too long ‘bestial’ has been the insult launched against all that challenges the conformity and the familiar ways of living. Humans without certainties would not have any claim of excellence above all other animals.

But perhaps the most important change would occur exactly in religion: all the religions and systems of beliefs (even if they emphatically deny to be religious) that profess to hold the explanation of what is beyond ‘appearance’ would loose their foundation. That would not mean – at all! – that a narrative of nothingness would prevail. Currently, the world is mostly divided between those who believe that there is a unity beyond the ‘confusion’ of experience and those who affirm that there is nothing. The humans who recognize their animalness could finally retrieve an ancient forgotten path: that of multiplicity.

Ancient Polytheism, in its many forms, is now mostly remembered as a collection of fanciful tales. Even when a sort of serious attention is paid to it, it is mostly to affirm that ‘at the end, in reality’ all the Gods are One. That is not Polytheism in its richest potentiality, but monotheism in disguise.
The Many who are countless, not only in their number but also in their attitudes and inclinations, are powerful representation of the plurality of experiences and sensations for all living beings. They offer infinite images of what is and can be, not of what should be.

This is not the time to discuss what or who the Many are, to provide lists of names and to narrate their stories. A radical, consistent Polytheism can never close its Pantheon nor make definitive its theogony. This is a very important point: the acceptance of Mystery is also and primarily an embrace of creativity in all its forms and applications. Without certainties, without a god/reason that forces humans to believe and behave in only one way, an infinite realm of possibility would open to all, humans and not. Efforts would be necessary and the transition would not be easy, but the reward would be the greatest that could ever be imagined.

The message that I want to give you – as a non-human living among humans – is one of hope. Life is hard and precarious and suffering is everywhere, but so is the possibility for joy. Non-human animals have much to share with their human cousins if these are open to listen and watch. There is a great strength in a worm that endures its daily struggle for survival. There is a great wisdom in birds, rodents and reptiles as they adapt and flourish in ways that may seem impossible. Strength and wisdom are offered to human beings as gifts: now more than ever, you may need them.
I put in breaks.

I'm not a pagan, and I do tend toward a belief in monotheism at those times when I'm fairly convinced there is a God, so what you've written doesn't resonate with me, particularly. I see no reason why Mystery and plurality have to be denied simply because one believes that the "all" is really One, if the One is infinite and therefore is infinitely faceted. Just my thoughts. But it was an interesting read.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Thanks for those breaks, Piero.

Francesco, I share your namesake in real life and perhaps like you, Francis of Assisi was/is my patron saint. (I hedged there because I'm no longer a Catholic.)

I hear in your work a young literary fledgling testing his wings in the philosophical/spiritual arena. I applaud it and urge you to write much, often.

I like the message in your last graph. Hope is what keeps most people putting one foot in front of the other when life seems eternally uphill.

And I have a growing understanding, and deep appreciation, of what our brother and sister animals can teach us. I study them daily and hope to learn much more before my days here are done.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:28 AM

Monotheism and Mystery...

I do not doubt that many believers in 'one and only one true god' may think that there is still a deep mystery, somewhere. They can even relish some newly created ones, like the 'holy trinity'. But if we look at both the history and the daily practice of the Abrahamic faiths, we can observe the role of prescriptions as constitutive. It is not necessarily something 'bad', actually can be one of their main appeals, for some people. A believer may feel to have found something that gives him a strong sense of certainty in the solution of all problems, from big ethical choices to menial culinary and dressing dilemmas. We may like that aspect, or not, but we cannot keep saying that we still have the same amount of mystery when there is a 'revelation' that tells us what to believe about the history of the universe as well as what to eat or how to have sex (a set of instructions that seems incredibly needed by some).

I try to keep this posting short, even if that means ignoring many important aspects of the issue, for all those with a short attention-span.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Sorry friend - but you're going to have to learn to make paragraph breaks if you expect folks to read a post that long.
Wow... yes.

After the breaks, much more readable.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:37 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're driving at, Francesco, but here are clearly a lot of lessons to be learned from the animal world. And for people who admit there's a spiritual aspect to life at all, yeah, there's a lot to be found that's spiritual in other species. I for one will choose to focus on an animal that has the qualities I need that day, be it a rhino for strength in solitude, a goldfish for drawing people over to my POV or an ant for that mandibles-to-the-grindstone focus on what I need to do.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:01 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
Francesco, I have to agree with the above posters that your post was hard to read without paragraph breaks. with that being said, in my house, the cats consider themselves the superior beings-people only existing to feed, water, and pet or scratch a cat when required. The only problem is that they insist we share living space with DOGS and some of us have a problem with that. Dogs have no manners, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism