Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:22 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,067,214 times

Advertisements

Since there is no forum for Hindu thought, guess I will put this here. Events in the USA at this time show anger and hatred that both big & social media magnifies by constant recycling coverage.

At any rate, this ancient invocation for harmony is from the Bhagavatam. I have rendered it based on several differing translations:

Quote:
May the Universe be happy and holy,
May the wicked become mild,
May all beings work for each others welfare,
May all hearts radiate selfless love for one and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 09:34 AM

764 posts, read 1,425,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Like most adages I suppose, it's "sort of" true. East winds often follow in the wake of a cold front. Cold fronts can make fishing tough for 2-3 days. It's not so much the often-slight change in weather that affects their feeding habits, as it is the fact they knew the front was approaching and fed heavily beforehand.

I can recommend a book you might find helpful. I'll DM you.
My grandfather always said that if the cows are lying down, it's a bad fishing day. He was from Georgia and lived either in Georgia or Florida (except for the time he was in the US Army - WWII vet). Anyways, he swore by that wisdom. Around here if the cows are lying down, they're usually under a shade tree, which means it's hot. From what the park rangers at one of the state parks around here told us is that the fish hide in the deeper parts of the lakes when it's hot so the fishing isn't as good. I suppose you can catch them if you're in a boat, but fishing from the shore won't be as productive.

That's interesting that the fish know about the cold fronts approaching - wouldn't it be awesome to have the same awareness the fish do when it comes to weather and stuff?

Old 08-15-2017, 09:39 AM

764 posts, read 1,425,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Since there is no forum for Hindu thought, guess I will put this here. Events in the USA at this time show anger and hatred that both big & social media magnifies by constant recycling coverage.

At any rate, this ancient invocation for harmony is from the Bhagavatam. I have rendered it based on several differing translations:

May the Universe be happy and holy,
May the wicked become mild,
May all beings work for each others welfare,
May all hearts radiate selfless love for one and all.
For some reason I managed to miss all the news about what was going on in the USA this past weekend - I still haven't looked to see the details, so I really don't know what happened other than something or other bad in Charlottesville, Virginia. I wasn't online much and when I came online this morning, it sort of felt like I got hit with a ton of bricks, which is why I don't want to read the stories to see the details. I really like this invocation. It helped my heart feel lighter. Thank you Mahayana for posting it.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:26 AM

Glad it helped you pnc66, it is pretty powerful. Here is a similar one from the Buddhist tradition:

Quote:
May beings all live happily and safe,
and may their hearts rejoice within themselves.

Whatever there may be with breath of life,
whether they be frail or very strong,
without exception, be they long or short,
or middle-sized, or be big or small,

or dense, or visible or invisible,
or whether they dwell far or they dwell near,
those that are here, those seeking to exist—
may beings all rejoice with themselves.

Let no one bring about another’s ruin
and not despise in any way or place;
let them not wish each other any ill
from provocation or from enmity.

Just as a mother at the risk of life
loves and protects her child, her only child,
so one should cultivate this boundless love
to all that live in the whole universe—

extending from a consciousness sublime
upwards and downwards and across the world,
untroubled, free from hate and enmity.

And while one stands and while one sits
or when one lies down still free from drowsiness,
one should be intent on this mindfulness—
this is divine abiding here they say.
Metta Sutta - Laurence Mills trans.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:01 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,597,629 times
What is sweeter then mead?

Intimate Conversation.

What is blacker then the raven?

Death.

What is whiter then the snow?

Truth

What is swifter then the wind?

Thought.

What is sharper then the sword?

Understanding.

What is lighter then a spark?

The mind of a woman between two men.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,290,269 times
I read a biography of a great Crow Chief - Plenty Coups - several years ago and his life and wisdom resonated with me. Perhaps because we both have Chickadee as a totem animal/spirit.

From Wiki:

One of his famous quotes is: "Education is your greatest weapon. With education you are the white man's equal, without education you are his victim and so shall remain all of your lives. Study, learn, help one another always. Remember there is only poverty and misery in idleness and dreams - but in work there is self respect and independence." Chief Plenty Coups became a chief at the age of twenty-nine; he is the last chief who was elected a chief by other chiefs.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I read a biography of a great Crow Chief - Plenty Coups - several years ago and his life and wisdom resonated with me. Perhaps because we both have Chickadee as a totem animal/spirit.

From Wiki:

One of his famous quotes is: "Education is your greatest weapon. With education you are the white man's equal, without education you are his victim and so shall remain all of your lives. Study, learn, help one another always. Remember there is only poverty and misery in idleness and dreams - but in work there is self respect and independence." Chief Plenty Coups became a chief at the age of twenty-nine; he is the last chief who was elected a chief by other chiefs.
Which reminds me - a great group working for the Chief's aim:

Home Page | American Indian College Fund

Old 07-14-2018, 10:28 AM

Default Signs of Kali Yuga

The signs of humanity being in an ethically dark era are all around. Plato talked about four general ages with an Iron age being the least harmonious. Ancient India has a similar notion of cycles. Some 5000 years ago this Kali Yuga began. Here is a short list of the characteristics of our era, which will continue for many thousands of years.

https://mailchi.mp/exoticindia/hindu...3?e=1e463501ce

Old 07-14-2018, 10:51 AM

23,281 posts, read 10,585,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post

That is good enough for me.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:54 AM

23,281 posts, read 10,585,394 times
Quote:

From Wiki:

Seems so sad that it has to be that way, God to me just seems like a tribal chief looking for all sorts of tribal people who look at the world in a spiritual way, and here comes people forcing assimilation putting tribal people on trains, dressing them up, demanding what they shall worship. Now they have to learn the law or let the law kill hem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism