Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 02:51 PM

764 posts, read 1,420,964 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone - It's been a while since I've posted in the forums. I miss the camaraderie here.

I have kind of dilemma that I don't know how to deal with. I have a Christian co-worker who lately has been getting a little too preachy for my tastes. To the best of my knowledge, she is not aware of my pagan faith and I believe she assumes I'm a Christian too (for whatever reason, most people do and they seem to gravitate toward me to talk about their Christian faith - I must have a "preach to me" neon sign above me or something). She is Seventh Day Adventist but currently attends a different denomination church. I don't know anything about the Seventh Day Adventists; however, she seems to be quite stringent in her beliefs - very absolute and everything is "black and white" with absolutely no room for any shade of gray. She's pretty judgmental and dogmatic and doesn't appear to be willing to "live and let live" as far as other lifestyles go. For example, we have a courier service who comes by a couple of times a day to pick and drop off paperwork. Our courier mentioned recently she and her long-time boyfriend are getting married soon - as soon as she left, Co-worker immediately started in on how they were "living in sin" and how God doesn't allow that.

It's just three of us in our branch office - branch manager, my Christian co-worker, and me. I am not in a position to make waves by talking to the branch manager - Co-worker has been working there much longer than me, and I'm only part-time. My experience has been that anyone who upsets the apple cart is the first to be shown the door (not this job but just my observations through the years). While there are several reasons for me to find a new job (it's part-time, pay is way below what I should be making, especially with my degree, not getting the experience I had hoped, etc), I don't wish to be shown the door either.

How do you y'all deal with religious folks preaching/bringing up God every chance they get in the workplace? Do you have any meditations, spells, whatever to help me deal with this? Honestly I'm afraid if I tell her to knock it off, it will make for a very strained working relationship, which I don't want, but I'm very close to that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 03:12 PM

54 posts, read 44,132 times
People discussing their religion isn't "getting preached at" They are not involved in preaching a sermon to you, just discussing their own beliefs just as you discuss your beliefs about topics.

How do you get over it?

Allow for a fair one way street of discussion of all ideas, even those you do not agree with.

Don't find reasons to have issues at work. You are there to work, just do it

How would I deal with it? Well it's not recommended but I attended an SDA church a while. Their beliefs are not normal so you could do some research and steer her into a less black and white church. Nothing happened in heaven, per the bible, in 1844. For a Christian, as she calls herself, that would be heresy. Their founder is a plaguarist. I could go on and on. But unless you are up to the task of steering her away from that legalism, just let her be.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
I'd tell her I'm uncomfortable discussing a personal matter such as religion at any time, but especially in the workplace. And then change the subject.

If she continued, I would pointedly turn my back on her and busy myself with something.

(You might also consider applying for other jobs in your spare time. )

Old 04-22-2019, 07:58 PM

23,123 posts, read 10,422,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
Hi Everyone - It's been a while since I've posted in the forums. I miss the camaraderie here.

I have kind of dilemma that I don't know how to deal with. I have a Christian co-worker who lately has been getting a little too preachy for my tastes. To the best of my knowledge, she is not aware of my pagan faith and I believe she assumes I'm a Christian too (for whatever reason, most people do and they seem to gravitate toward me to talk about their Christian faith - I must have a "preach to me" neon sign above me or something). She is Seventh Day Adventist but currently attends a different denomination church. I don't know anything about the Seventh Day Adventists; however, she seems to be quite stringent in her beliefs - very absolute and everything is "black and white" with absolutely no room for any shade of gray. She's pretty judgmental and dogmatic and doesn't appear to be willing to "live and let live" as far as other lifestyles go. For example, we have a courier service who comes by a couple of times a day to pick and drop off paperwork. Our courier mentioned recently she and her long-time boyfriend are getting married soon - as soon as she left, Co-worker immediately started in on how they were "living in sin" and how God doesn't allow that.

It's just three of us in our branch office - branch manager, my Christian co-worker, and me. I am not in a position to make waves by talking to the branch manager - Co-worker has been working there much longer than me, and I'm only part-time. My experience has been that anyone who upsets the apple cart is the first to be shown the door (not this job but just my observations through the years). While there are several reasons for me to find a new job (it's part-time, pay is way below what I should be making, especially with my degree, not getting the experience I had hoped, etc), I don't wish to be shown the door either.

How do you y'all deal with religious folks preaching/bringing up God every chance they get in the workplace? Do you have any meditations, spells, whatever to help me deal with this? Honestly I'm afraid if I tell her to knock it off, it will make for a very strained working relationship, which I don't want, but I'm very close to that point.
I really think that I could really help you with this.

What does this person celebrate?

I mean not what Sabbath she keeps, what holy days does she keep?

Old 04-22-2019, 08:18 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
The workplace is not the time or place to discuss religion. Good way to get fired. Talk religion to people in church give us all a break....

Old 04-22-2019, 08:27 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,190,085 times
Given the info you have shared it seems the best solution is not to respond to her religious statements at all, change the subject or keep mum, tune her out. If she asks you specific questions change the subject or just politely state that in the workplace you don’t want to be distracted with personal discussions and avoid three major subjects , football, politics and religion.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:17 AM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
I'm with those who say "I prefer not to discuss personal subjects such as religion in the workplace."

Old 04-23-2019, 08:07 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times
In this day and age for the most part won’t bring up anything that might offend someone. Then again if you live in the Bible Belt, you might have to just deal with it.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:44 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,540,780 times
I have had experience with 7DAs and they indeed have a very black/white point of view and there is no room for discussion that doesn't concur with their beliefs. Make it REALLY clear you have something else to do, email to answer, project to finish, anything to avoid engaging in conversation with her.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:01 PM

764 posts, read 1,420,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I really think that I could really help you with this.

What does this person celebrate?

I mean not what Sabbath she keeps, what holy days does she keep?
Easter for sure, and I honestly don't remember what she said about Christmas. As far as the other holy days, I'm honestly not sure. She was talking about giving up stuff for Lent, which kind of surprised me since I was under the impression the protestant denominations didn't do anything for lent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism