Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 07:01 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,142 times

Advertisements

Tell me about your garden. What do have growing? Do you plant anything to use later in your practices? Have you added any ornaments or garden decor that reflects your path? I'd love to hear about it.

We only have a small space for gardening and so I do container gardening. Have a couple pots with tomato cages that are supporting my morning glories. Have a pink Hibiscus -- heard the flowers can make a good tea but haven't tried yet. Also growing catnip for our cat, some coleus, a window box with snapdragon, trailing greenery (forget the name of it), petunias, red begonia. A friend of mine gave me a couple of things for my garden. One is a hanging sign that says "Fairies Live Here" and a nice sitting faerie. Sometimes I take my crystals out and put them in the pots to soak up the sun and/or moon.

At first my garden was all neat and orderly but the morning glories have escaped their supports and gone where they will and I gave up trying to pick them out of the other plants and put the vines back where they should be. Its futile. It resembles a jungle out there now. Even have a branch I saved from a tree the place cut down so my hummers would still have a place to sit. The morning glories are going up that dead tree branch.

I always have a couple pots I don't put anything in so they can grow wild -- whatever the nature spirits desire.

I've got a few broken clay pots I'm keeping to turn into fairy gardens later.

Enough about me. Hows your garden growing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 07:36 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
Tell me about your garden. What do have growing? Do you plant anything to use later in your practices? Have you added any ornaments or garden decor that reflects your path? I'd love to hear about it.

We only have a small space for gardening and so I do container gardening. Have a couple pots with tomato cages that are supporting my morning glories. Have a pink Hibiscus -- heard the flowers can make a good tea but haven't tried yet. Also growing catnip for our cat, some coleus, a window box with snapdragon, trailing greenery (forget the name of it), petunias, red begonia. A friend of mine gave me a couple of things for my garden. One is a hanging sign that says "Fairies Live Here" and a nice sitting faerie. Sometimes I take my crystals out and put them in the pots to soak up the sun and/or moon.

At first my garden was all neat and orderly but the morning glories have escaped their supports and gone where they will and I gave up trying to pick them out of the other plants and put the vines back where they should be. Its futile. It resembles a jungle out there now. Even have a branch I saved from a tree the place cut down so my hummers would still have a place to sit. The morning glories are going up that dead tree branch.

I always have a couple pots I don't put anything in so they can grow wild -- whatever the nature spirits desire.

I've got a few broken clay pots I'm keeping to turn into fairy gardens later.

Enough about me. Hows your garden growing?
Um...rocks again.

I like to "relocate" rocks from where I found them to my garden, which for the past nine years has been a small, patio/garden area behind my condo. I first and foremost love to grow sunflowers, and I've got a few flowering perennials, but in the past I've had good luck with tomatoes, cucumbers, and jalapeno peppers back there, too.

I have back there strewn around the plants rocks that I found in the desert outside of Las Vegas with little fossilized sea creatures in them, and volcanic-looking pumice-type rock I stepped on in the Gulf of Mexico, two stones that my daughter brought me from the Bay of Biscay, pink and gray granite from Vermont, and another pinkish stone from Ontario. Also a number of stones and shells from the beach (I live about five miles from the Atlantic Ocean).

This year I am away for a lot of the summer, and since I won't be there to tend plants, I didn't plant anything new. Happily, I saw that one sunflower was growing of its own accord, and it hadn't yet flowered when I left, so I hope it did now. I also had a pack of mixed flowering seeds that I strew around before I left to let grow what may, and some of my perennials have survived and are probably still flowering, too.

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE morning glories, and planted a number of them around the house where I am staying currently, but only one took. It's currently twining itself around an old decorative well pump, and I hope it flowers soon. It's the Heavenly Blue variety.

Here is a picture of the garden from a few years ago. Mattie, the striped tabby, left me three years ago in October, so this was probably the summer before, 2015. I still have the black boy cat.

You can see the stalks of my sunflowers around the edge of the fence.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Um...rocks again.

I like to "relocate" rocks from where I found them to my garden, which for the past nine years has been a small, patio/garden area behind my condo. I first and foremost love to grow sunflowers, and I've got a few flowering perennials, but in the past I've had good luck with tomatoes, cucumbers, and jalapeno peppers back there, too.

I have back there strewn around the plants rocks that I found in the desert outside of Las Vegas with little fossilized sea creatures in them, and volcanic-looking pumice-type rock I stepped on in the Gulf of Mexico, two stones that my daughter brought me from the Bay of Biscay, pink and gray granite from Vermont, and another pinkish stone from Ontario. Also a number of stones and shells from the beach (I live about five miles from the Atlantic Ocean).

This year I am away for a lot of the summer, and since I won't be there to tend plants, I didn't plant anything new. Happily, I saw that one sunflower was growing of its own accord, and it hadn't yet flowered when I left, so I hope it did now. I also had a pack of mixed flowering seeds that I strew around before I left to let grow what may, and some of my perennials have survived and are probably still flowering, too.

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE morning glories, and planted a number of them around the house where I am staying currently, but only one took. It's currently twining itself around an old decorative well pump, and I hope it flowers soon. It's the Heavenly Blue variety.

Here is a picture of the garden from a few years ago. Mattie, the striped tabby, left me three years ago in October, so this was probably the summer before, 2015. I still have the black boy cat.

You can see the stalks of my sunflowers around the edge of the fence.

Thats a great garden! And I love how you incorporate rocks from your travels into your garden. Awesome that one of your sunflowers came back or reseeded (?). Sunflowers always make me smile. The Heavenly Blue morning glories are really pretty. I almost got those but chose the purple Grandpa Ott variety this time. And somewhere a pink one sprang up as well. Your cats look so cute playing out there. I'm sorry you lost Mattie, beautiful looking cat. Same kind of coloring as ours.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
Thats a great garden! And I love how you incorporate rocks from your travels into your garden. Awesome that one of your sunflowers came back or reseeded (?). Sunflowers always make me smile. The Heavenly Blue morning glories are really pretty. I almost got those but chose the purple Grandpa Ott variety this time. And somewhere a pink one sprang up as well. Your cats look so cute playing out there. I'm sorry you lost Mattie, beautiful looking cat. Same kind of coloring as ours.
Yes, she was my favorite cat of all time. She didn't know she was a cat. Didn't want to eat cat food, would not eat if the bowl was on the floor (had a little table for her to jump up on). She was smarter than the other cats, too. Good judge of people. If she didn't like someone and shook her paw and hissed at them, I knew they were a person of questionable character.

I had four cats, but now I am down to just one.

Last year I had the red and white morning glories. They were really pretty, too. I like all the colors.

I plan to do more gardening next year. I miss being in the dirt.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, she was my favorite cat of all time. She didn't know she was a cat. Didn't want to eat cat food, would not eat if the bowl was on the floor (had a little table for her to jump up on). She was smarter than the other cats, too. Good judge of people. If she didn't like someone and shook her paw and hissed at them, I knew they were a person of questionable character.

I had four cats, but now I am down to just one.

Last year I had the red and white morning glories. They were really pretty, too. I like all the colors.

I plan to do more gardening next year. I miss being in the dirt.

Hugs Mightyqueen801!! It is so hard to lose them and Mattie sounds like she had a really unique personality. Probably a wise old soul inside that fur.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:42 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
What am I growing? Weeds.

I don't do the gardening in the household. That is Hubby's job. He takes care of the indoor garden as well as the outside. At our old house, I wanted to plant a whole bunch of wildflowers. Hubby said that he wouldn't help me with it so I called around looking for someone to rototill the place. People never returned my call or they said that it was too small of a job, etc. etc. After getting very frustrated that I couldn't find anyone to help, Hubby said that he would help me. That was so sweet of him. The wildflowers grew for a few years and it was really pretty (there were something like 10 different flowers) and then over the years, it just turned to weeds. I used to joke about my weed garden.

So, we are now living in a different house. We brought over some of flowers from the other house-day lilies, my mother's daffodils, & irises. All planted in the front of the house. It took a year or two before they bloomed. Hubby then planted glads and he just planted a bee balm plant that was given to us. Last fall we planted two lilac sticks. We now have sticks with leaves. It will be several years before we will get any flowers. There are also a bunch of milkweed that were there when we moved in. We just left it and this year the monarchs are out in full force.

In the backyard: When we moved in, we discovered that we have a lilac bush. It wasn't as big as the ones we had at the old house but it was being strangled. The two of us went out and freed it from its binds. We do get some flowers and each year it seems like we get a little bit more. We also planted babies from our "Little Tree" at the other house. Unfortunately, they didn't take.

For the last couple of years, Hubby has been planting cherry tomatoes. He starts them inside and then transplant them. (I LOVE cherry tomatoes.) I TRIED to transplant some of the milkweed from the front into the back but it didn't take. I will try again-but not this year.

Here is the plan. We are SUPPOSED to have our driveway repaved. We called them in June and we are on their list. Who knows when that will happen. We are also SUPPOSED to have a tree taken down that is leaning very close to and over the garage. Again, we are on their list. I would like to have the tree taken down before the driveway done because they have to go over the driveway with their equipment to get at the tree. Hopefully, this will all be done this year. Then next year, we are going to hire a landscaper to basically dig up and clean up the yard. Once the yard is dug up, then we are going to plant grass. Right now I don't know what it is but it is not grass-I guess it is weeds and such. There is also one place where we are going to plant a REAL garden. What will we plant? We haven't gotten that far. We are talking about maybe asparagus. Who know what else.

Cat

Old 08-12-2019, 01:00 PM

OK, I "met" a lady on the old AOL message boards who would observe Candlemas/Imbolc/Brigid's Day in the traditional way by cleaning out her potting shed, going through her seeds and seed catalogs, and planning her garden.

If I remember, I will bring that up February 1 so that we can all start doing our planning for next year on here.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:21 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
The only "decoration " in my garden is a laser made cutout of a fairy I took a fancy to. I only hope it is not the only fairy in the garden.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Things like to grow where I live. I have a little over an acre and have a shore-front lot on a Canadian Shield lake. I have several large, mature trees, mostly conifers. Wildflowers abound, plus the perennials my predecessor planted and new stuff seems to appear every season.

I'm mostly concerned with keeping the unrelenting onslaught of raspberry plants under some semblance of control.

I am failing. There are hundreds.

But it gives me something to do when the fish aren't biting.

PS - I have four tomato plants on the go. One cherry which is about done and three different larger varieties which are still at least 3-4 weeks away from maturing.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
What am I growing? Weeds.

I don't do the gardening in the household. That is Hubby's job. He takes care of the indoor garden as well as the outside. At our old house, I wanted to plant a whole bunch of wildflowers. Hubby said that he wouldn't help me with it so I called around looking for someone to rototill the place. People never returned my call or they said that it was too small of a job, etc. etc. After getting very frustrated that I couldn't find anyone to help, Hubby said that he would help me. That was so sweet of him. The wildflowers grew for a few years and it was really pretty (there were something like 10 different flowers) and then over the years, it just turned to weeds. I used to joke about my weed garden.

So, we are now living in a different house. We brought over some of flowers from the other house-day lilies, my mother's daffodils, & irises. All planted in the front of the house. It took a year or two before they bloomed. Hubby then planted glads and he just planted a bee balm plant that was given to us. Last fall we planted two lilac sticks. We now have sticks with leaves. It will be several years before we will get any flowers. There are also a bunch of milkweed that were there when we moved in. We just left it and this year the monarchs are out in full force.

In the backyard: When we moved in, we discovered that we have a lilac bush. It wasn't as big as the ones we had at the old house but it was being strangled. The two of us went out and freed it from its binds. We do get some flowers and each year it seems like we get a little bit more. We also planted babies from our "Little Tree" at the other house. Unfortunately, they didn't take.

For the last couple of years, Hubby has been planting cherry tomatoes. He starts them inside and then transplant them. (I LOVE cherry tomatoes.) I TRIED to transplant some of the milkweed from the front into the back but it didn't take. I will try again-but not this year.

Here is the plan. We are SUPPOSED to have our driveway repaved. We called them in June and we are on their list. Who knows when that will happen. We are also SUPPOSED to have a tree taken down that is leaning very close to and over the garage. Again, we are on their list. I would like to have the tree taken down before the driveway done because they have to go over the driveway with their equipment to get at the tree. Hopefully, this will all be done this year. Then next year, we are going to hire a landscaper to basically dig up and clean up the yard. Once the yard is dug up, then we are going to plant grass. Right now I don't know what it is but it is not grass-I guess it is weeds and such. There is also one place where we are going to plant a REAL garden. What will we plant? We haven't gotten that far. We are talking about maybe asparagus. Who know what else.
Cat

Hi CatwomanofV, I've seen where people plant wildflowers in their front yards around here and it looks nice but I never thought till now... how would someone know what was a wildflower or a weed? My luck I'd pull up the wrong thing You've got some nice plants at your new house. Irises combined with daffodils is a nice contrast. Are you also getting a lot of butterflies with your bee balm? Love lilac bushes, so pretty but they make me sneeze, lol. Good luck with the upcoming driveway repaving and changes. Yummmm about asparagus, that is expensive in the stores and soooo good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism