Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2019, 11:02 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times

Advertisements

I have a set of Tarot cards at home. I never took the time to learn about them or how to use them. Any suggestions for a beginner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 12:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have a set of Tarot cards at home. I never took the time to learn about them or how to use them. Any suggestions for a beginner?
A good starting point is the booklet that accompanies each set. And there's lots of sites on the net.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:37 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
A good starting point is the booklet that accompanies each set. And there's lots of sites on the net.
This is a decent site.

https://www.biddytarot.com/

Also, I took a basic Tarot class last year. It was all day long, and it taught the history of the Tarot and the artwork on the Rider-Waite deck, as well as going through the cards one by one. It covered the symbolism of the suits and the colors and numbers.

The instructor, however, told us not to use the book too much at first. He said pull cards, lay them out, do spreads or whatever, but look at the cards and see what impressions you get. What do you see in the cards/what is yourself telling yourself.

I still try to do that, and then I look on the above website to see if there are any similarities. Sometimes there are, sometimes there aren't.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:19 PM

43,102 posts, read 18,269,535 times
The last full moon of this decade is on 12/12 and happens at 12:12 Eastern.
That's 4 sets of 3 (1+2) and the total of the date/time is 12 which is 3.
3 - mystical, magical, mysterious

Cleanse your tarot cards by putting them in the light of the full moon.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The last full moon of this decade is on 12/12 and happens at 12:12 Eastern.
That's 4 sets of 3 (1+2) and the total of the date/time is 12 which is 3.
3 - mystical, magical, mysterious

Cleanse your tarot cards by putting them in the light of the full moon.
Can't hurt.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:59 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
I'm going to buy my first Tarot deck tomorrow.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I'm going to buy my first Tarot deck tomorrow.
Are you going to get the classic Rider-Waite deck, or are you looking at another one?

There are so many out there. Works of art.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:50 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Are you going to get the classic Rider-Waite deck, or are you looking at another one?

There are so many out there. Works of art.
Can you please, advise?

How do I know what's right for me?

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Can you please, advise?

Thanks.
I am not an expert, and I'm fairly new to Tarot myself, but I would advise you to start with the Rider-Waite deck, which is the original. There's a whole interesting history behind it, and it is considered the "standard". I took a class, but everything I learned there you can look up online. Each suit (swords, wands, cups, pentacles) represents some aspect, as do the numbers and the characters depicted.

Basically understand that the cards themselves have no magic, but they serve as a visual for you to focus upon and pick up and read into that which is beyond which we can see; in other words, psychic energy.

Some people I know have many decks. I have two, the Rider-Waite and a set of shamanistic cards that I haven't explored two deeply. Someone else I know has Medicine cards, which depict animals and their meaning derived from indigenous traditions. I really like that deck.

One more thing. The Rider-Waite deck (and probably all of them) comes with a little booklet that includes someone's interpretation of the meaning of the cards. While it's good to get the basics down, the guy who gave the class I took (and he is pretty well-known in reading circles) said that for the first year at least, try not to use the book too much but rather rely on training yourself to see what YOU see in the cards, because that's what's most important. The other thing I thought was important that he said is that people often assume Tarot is a predictor of things to come, but it's really an oracle, which means it's revealing the hidden side of what is here and now.

Anyway, good luck. Check back in here if you like

I haven't picked up my own cards in a while. Think I'm going to do that on this rainy day.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:10 PM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Can you please, advise?

Thanks.
There are two that I like.

Radiant Rider-Waite Tarot

Lo Scarabeo Tarot

I also would recommend that you buy the larger sized cards -- approximately 12 X 7 cm -- rather than the smaller size -- approximately 10 X 6 cm.

You might also want to look into what I refer to as "tell a story" cards, such as the Gypsy Oracle Cards. The deck I have is also from Lo Scarabeo, although they are of the smaller size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism