Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 09:48 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I do like Last Song. But Seasons In The Sun... When it first came out, I loved the song-so did my sister who bought the 45 and played it over and over and over and over and.... That cured me of liking the song. Now, yeah, it is on the Jukebox From Hell.

Another song on that Jukebox: Run Joey, Run. I admit that I loved it as a kid but I like to think that my taste improved with age.

Cat
I liked Last Song for a few months or so. It then became another zombie song. I bought a Spyro Gyra album because I liked the song Morning Dance. It didn't take long for that to become supermarket and elevator music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 07:10 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
This thread is turning into the "Jukebox From Hell" thread.

Cat
Lol! Let's throw in "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones.

Don't know why anyone would sing a song that sounds as if she's too lethargic to sing anything.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:15 AM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
My version of hell is having to listen to people talk about football (the British version).

It's the most tedious subject in the world.

Men kick balls into goals. That's all you need to know. End of story.

I cannot bear the endless analysis of who did what during a game and after the game and the next game and the repetitive word of the use 'hopefully'.

It's painful.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:10 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,274,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
My version of hell is having to listen to people talk about football (the British version).

I cannot bear the endless analysis of who did what during a game and after the game and the next game and the repetitive word of the use 'hopefully'.

It's painful.
This reminds me of my first husband (talk about hell-but that is another story). He was a golfer. He once said to me, "I hate it when people saying that golf is just chasing a ball around a course. It's more than that." I SOOOO wanted to say, "No, you are basically chasing a ball around the course." End of story!

Every other sport I can understand but I just don't GET golf-and I tried.

Cat

Old 04-08-2021, 05:20 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

It's painful.
Quote:
This reminds me of my first husband (talk about hell-but that is another story). He was a golfer. He once said to me, "I hate it when people saying that golf is just chasing a ball around a course. It's more than that." I SOOOO wanted to say, "No, you are basically chasing a ball around the course." End of story!

Cat
At least in Britain men kick balls into goals.

In American football, they can't even get it through their heads that a ball is supposed be round. And it's called "FOOTball" when the ball is rarely actually kicked. Most of the time it is thrown and then tucked under the arm and carried by a man trying to run forward and then thrown hard into the dirt when the runner carrying it makes it to something that I thought for years was called the "N Zone" and couldn't figure out what "N" stood for.

So the guy who gets the ball after it is thrown backwards to him tries to run forward, but most of the time a whole bunch of guys from the other team just pile on top of him after he's gone a few feet, and then eventually, when he is buried under a pile of men already, one last guy comes running up out of nowhere and spreads his arms and LEAPS on top of all the other guys like a starfish wearing a helmet.

Never sure why Last Guy doesn't stop and say, "Hmm, I'm obviously late to this party and I see they've already pretty much stopped the guy holding the ball, so there really isn't any reason for me to fall on top of them now."

Then guys in striped shirts blow whistles and wave their arms around and somebody throws a little orange flag onto the field and somebody else comes out with a big stick and stands on the field with it somewhere that appears to be significant.

And why six points?

Old 04-08-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

In American football, they can't even get it through their heads that a ball is supposed be round. And it's called "FOOTball" when the ball is rarely actually kicked. Most of the time it is thrown and then tucked under the arm and carried by a man trying to run forward and then thrown hard into the dirt when the runner carrying it makes it to something that I thought for years was called the "N Zone" and couldn't figure out what "N" stood for.

So the guy who gets the ball after it is thrown backwards to him tries to run forward, but most of the time a whole bunch of guys from the other team just pile on top of him after he's gone a few feet, and then eventually, when he is buried under a pile of men already, one last guy comes running up out of nowhere and spreads his arms and LEAPS on top of all the other guys like a starfish wearing a helmet.

Never sure why Last Guy doesn't stop and say, "Hmm, I'm obviously late to this party and I see they've already pretty much stopped the guy holding the ball, so there really isn't any reason for me to fall on top of them now."

Then guys in striped shirts blow whistles and wave their arms around and somebody throws a little orange flag onto the field and somebody else comes out with a big stick and stands on the field with it somewhere that appears to be significant.

And why six points?

Yeah, American football never made any sense either.

Cat

Old 04-08-2021, 08:13 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:

Cat
Quote:

And why six points?
Oh your two posts had me crying.
Hilarious! .

Old 04-16-2021, 07:49 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,035 times
Quote:

And why six points?
Mightyqueen - this had me cracking up! This is the best (and most accurate) description of American football I think I've ever read! Thanks for the laugh! I have never understood the game and couldn't figure out what the big deal was when my ex-husband used to watch the '49'ers play. When the Super Bowl came to Houston about 4 years ago, I was honestly thrown by how much the tickets were.... for the life of me I can't fathom paying that much to see any type of sporting event, concert, Broadway play or anything. I believe they started at $1800 each and went up from there.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:

And why six points?

I just remembered this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8

Cat

Old 04-17-2021, 09:06 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm ashamed to say two of the absolute worst come from Canucks: Season In The Sun by Terry Jacks and Last Song by Edward Bear.

If you don't know them, do yourself a favour and NEVER look them up!
Cough, cough, hack. I don't miss Seasons in the Sun. I think that I can tolerate Last Song as elevator music. It's bum ba bum ba bum pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism