Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 06:57 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

I’m sort of new to this myself and part of my reason for moving in this direction is the abominable behavior so many Christians display but at the same time I think I’m more running towards something rather than away from anything. This is a better fit for my lifestyle and interests and I guess I’d fit best into the category of a green witch because I love gardening and growing healing herbs and making medicines.

At the moment I’m reading Scott Cunningham’s book Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner and I suspect it’s a good beginner book and I’m wondering if others have read it and find it a good resource? Would you recommend this book to the OP?

A thing he talks about is being able to effectively visualize and he talks about being able to hold an image in your mind for at least five minutes and I’m wondering how is that even possible? Usually an image just pops into my mind and out again in a split second. I bring this up in this thread because I’m thinking that it’s a great way to get started that won’t cost a thing.

This is not an easy path but it’s easier than sitting in a church pew listening to your pastor denounce homosexuality in the very same week as you found out your daughter is gay.

To Troutdude, good one! Can’t rep you again, not yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 08:54 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I’m sort of new to this myself and part of my reason for moving in this direction is the abominable behavior so many Christians display but at the same time I think I’m more running towards something rather than away from anything. This is a better fit for my lifestyle and interests and I guess I’d fit best into the category of a green witch because I love gardening and growing healing herbs and making medicines.

At the moment I’m reading Scott Cunningham’s book Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner and I suspect it’s a good beginner book and I’m wondering if others have read it and find it a good resource? Would you recommend this book to the OP?

A thing he talks about is being able to effectively visualize and he talks about being able to hold an image in your mind for at least five minutes and I’m wondering how is that even possible? Usually an image just pops into my mind and out again in a split second. I bring this up in this thread because I’m thinking that it’s a great way to get started that won’t cost a thing.

This is not an easy path but it’s easier than sitting in a church pew listening to your pastor denounce homosexuality in the very same week as you found out your daughter is gay.

To Troutdude, good one! Can’t rep you again, not yet.
I think that's a good resource for a beginner. To be clear though, Paganism and Wicca are not the same thing although they do spill over, depending on the practitioner.

Drawing Down the Moon is another classic and great read about Paganism.

Goodreads has a great list which includes Wicca and Pagan.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...st_Pagan_Books

Old 04-02-2021, 09:34 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Cool list, Hannah.

Too soon to rep.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Cool list, Hannah.

Too soon to rep.
Thanks!

Old 04-02-2021, 11:02 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I think that's a good resource for a beginner. To be clear though, Paganism and Wicca are not the same thing although they do spill over, depending on the practitioner.

Drawing Down the Moon is another classic and great read about Paganism.

Goodreads has a great list which includes Wicca and Pagan.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...st_Pagan_Books
That is a great list!

I want to clarify something and only because I suspect there are many others like me. I have had a casual interest in witchcraft and paganism for years and have read widely on many subjects and also on mythology so I have a smattering of background knowledge. When I say I am new to this, what I really mean is that I’m newly ready to commit to the path and I feel like I’m coming home to myself. A year ago I almost died (not an NDE) but I didn’t and came back into life with new and fresh purpose.

An interesting thing about this is that this is a fast growing movement and I’m curious about the reasons. I know the pandemic brought many people back to simpler pastimes and I suspect that the dominant voice in established religions has driven many people away, but for me, to use Christian lingo, I’ve been running from a call. I have a faint memory of having been executed as a witch in 1400s in Germany but of course that doesn’t really mean that I was one.

I wonder if the OP cares to share what drew him/her?

Old 04-02-2021, 11:19 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I want to read Drawing Down the Moon. I've seen it in the store (Hannah knows which one.)

Stepka, good to see you here, and I get you about the negativity of Christianity. I do still belong--well, sorta--haven't been in many months--to a liberal Christian church that does accept all people as well as acknowledges other spiritual paths as valid. There is at least one person who posts here occasionally who describes herself as a Christo-Pagan. We jettisoned the hell/death/sin carrot/stick teachings of human beings developed by the humans in the traditional Church and focus on Christ's teachings of love and healing, and it is not at all, in my opinion, in conflict with nature and Pagan practices. There may even be a Jewish-Pagan or two floating around these parts.

Many of these thoughts and practices were with me as a child. No one taught me, I just knew them, and now, in my older years, I am reconnecting with what I left behind. It feels correct, like coming home. I hope you find that as well.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I want to read Drawing Down the Moon. I've seen it in the store (Hannah knows which one.)

Stepka, good to see you here, and I get you about the negativity of Christianity. I do still belong--well, sorta--haven't been in many months--to a liberal Christian church that does accept all people as well as acknowledges other spiritual paths as valid. There is at least one person who posts here occasionally who describes herself as a Christo-Pagan. We jettisoned the hell/death/sin carrot/stick teachings of human beings developed by the humans in the traditional Church and focus on Christ's teachings of love and healing, and it is not at all, in my opinion, in conflict with nature and Pagan practices. There may even be a Jewish-Pagan or two floating around these parts.

Many of these thoughts and practices were with me as a child. No one taught me, I just knew them, and now, in my older years, I am reconnecting with what I left behind. It feels correct, like coming home. I hope you find that as well.
. I'm looking for remnants of my old group (not on CD!), but no luck so far. I know they're out there somewhere so I'll keep looking and update when I find them.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:45 AM

Default Jewitchery

The group and website are gone, but these were in an old folder and have survived. I'll post more as I find them.

https://devotaj.com/cosmic-reference-library/

Peeling a Pomegranate – 10 Years of Earth-based Magickal Judaism – 2003-2013

telshemesh.org | celebrating and creating earth-based traditions within Judaism

ETA: MQ, should this be a separate thread? Feel free to move if you think so. Okay by me either way.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:16 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
The group and website are gone, but these were in an old folder and have survived. I'll post more as I find them.

https://devotaj.com/cosmic-reference-library/

Peeling a Pomegranate – 10 Years of Earth-based Magickal Judaism – 2003-2013

telshemesh.org | celebrating and creating earth-based traditions within Judaism

ETA: MQ, should this be a separate thread? Feel free to move if you think so. Okay by me either way.
Nah, I think it's OK here. I'm going to peruse them in a little while when I have some time. Looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing! Adds a new layer.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nah, I think it's OK here. I'm going to peruse them in a little while when I have some time. Looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing! Adds a new layer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism