Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2022, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 693 times

Advertisements

I'm dedicating my Altar to Zeus, Athena, Dionysus, Demeter, and apollo(with a Hera theme with Zeus)... something interesting. So, how do Altars work? I can't find a single resource on building Altars for the Greek, or even on how to build an altar for Greeks in any sense really. I've only been with the Greek since they came to me a few months ago. Never was religious. More of a Jesus PTSD thing that turned atheist once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 03:00 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Any flat area where you can out flowers or incense or whatever "sacrifice" or offering you are using to pray with. It can be elaborate or no more than a flat stone or a plain plank of wood.

It's not the alter that is important, it is the prayers.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKORACLE View Post
I'm dedicating my Altar to Zeus, Athena, Dionysus, Demeter, and apollo(with a Hera theme with Zeus)... something interesting. So, how do Altars work? I can't find a single resource on building Altars for the Greek, or even on how to build an altar for Greeks in any sense really. I've only been with the Greek since they came to me a few months ago. Never was religious. More of a Jesus PTSD thing that turned atheist once in a while.
You can NOT dedicate a single altar to be shared by so many gods. Not in any religion or form of worship and especially not with the Greek gods since all of the Greek gods are very arrogant and jealous gods in competition with each other and each desires to be the center of attention and will not share attention or worship with any other god(s). You can choose as many gods as you want for yourself but if you wish to build altars for them you will need to provide each god with a personal altar of their own that is not shared with any other gods. Also you will need to provide each individual god with your undivided and undistracted attention devoted strictly to just that one god when you're doing your prayers at their altar. Don't let your mind wander from one to the other.

If you try to change the rules about altar sharing you will be bringing BIG trouble down on yourself and will be rejected and possibly punished by all of them. The Greek gods are not forgiving softies if you fail to do your homework and pay strictest attention to their rules.

First you need to research to find out what are the things of nature that are symbolic representatives of each of the deities that you can choose to place on each altar. These would be things such as hair or feathers representative of the gods' spirit animals, stones and crystals, living plants in pots, dried flowers, seeds, grains, carved wooden beads, scented candles or incenses representative of the scents related to the gods, tools, blades, weapons, musical instruments, silver, copper or gold receptacles, non-synthetic fabrics of many colours, foods and beverages, mirrors, bowls of fresh water, specific tarot cards from the major arcana, pictures or little carved statues, amulets and pieces of jewelry can be appropriate. Take your time doing the research, make sure you understand WHY each item is important to each god, and choose your god(s) well. For each deity choose only a few of their symbolic items to place on their altar.

Greek altars are typically made from naturally flat pieces of stone, wood, shells that will stand up to time and will provide shelter to the items that are placed on the altar. Do NOT use any kind of bone or animal antlers/horns. The finished altar should be attractive to look at and should feel like a cozy, protective little house that could provide shelter to tiny nature spirits who are servants and messengers of the gods.

Go do your research about each of the gods first to gain real understanding of each of them before you leap in and start dedicating any altars to any of them. As you are researching you will be inspired to include certain items at each altar.

I'd suggest that you start with the gentlest gods, develop a relationship one by one and work your way up to getting to know the most war-like for the last. It's okay to change your mind and only choose one or two gods to start with. Don't bite off more than you can chew without full understanding of them and how they can effect your life, whether you like it or ask for it or not.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:21 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You can NOT dedicate a single altar to be shared by so many gods. Not in any religion or form of worship and especially not with the Greek gods since all of the Greek gods are very arrogant and jealous gods in competition with each other and each desires to be the center of attention and will not share attention or worship with any other god(s). .........

Zoisite makes a very good point. Consider this advice very carefully.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:27 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,976,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Zoisite makes a very good point. Consider this advice very carefully.
I agree. My ancestors would build temples with gardens or smaller buildings for other gods.

I would suggest you read Homer's Iliad and Odyssey to understand better how the ancient Greeks thought about their gods, and how to keep them happy.

Another book I would recommend is the Histories by Herodotus, but please use an annotated version to explain the subtle points you would miss (such as the meaning of Xerxes laughing when warned of the possible danger of his actions).

An altar and any offerings should reflect your status in life, you will find stories about people who tried to cheat (or fool) the gods.

Naturally you need to provide perfect offerings on a clean altar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism