Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 07:42 PM

249 posts, read 332,198 times

Advertisements

Personal disclosure: I like the tarot of marseille deck and find it to be of historical interest. I have noticed all sorts of decks being published and lots of you tubers buying all these decks as professional tarot readers.

So my question is with the rise in tarot decks do you feel there is any reason to buy a newly published deck or are most of them rubbish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 11:13 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesevar View Post
Personal disclosure: I like the tarot of marseille deck and find it to be of historical interest. I have noticed all sorts of decks being published and lots of you tubers buying all these decks as professional tarot readers.

So my question is with the rise in tarot decks do you feel there is any reason to buy a newly published deck or are most of them rubbish?
that would be an individual's reasons and not one for anyone else to decide is rubbish or not. People buy them for different reasons. I have a friend who loves collecting all different decks. I don't know if she uses all of them, though.

I bought a Rider-Waite deck when I took a basic reading course because that's what was required for the class.

I didn't buy another until one day one really caught my eye--a Crow Tarot deck. I love crows, along with other birds, and I feed them regularly, so I bought that one. It has a great eight-card "crow spread" that's roughly in the shape of a bird with wings and a head. I've gotten quite a bit out of that deck. It's the one for me.

https://www.amazon.ca/Crow-Tarot-Mj-...58565917&psc=1

I haven't had an urge to run out and buy any more, though.

But to your remark about all the You-tubers: I took the basic class because I wanted to learn to read the cards for my own personal use. However, I was surprised that at least half the people in the class planned to try to do professional readings. Since they were just now learning the basics and history of the deck and the artwork in the Rider-Waite, that seemed odd to me. I would think someone would have to develop skills over time in order to become a reader. I wonder if any of them had any success.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:42 PM

740 posts, read 472,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesevar View Post

I used my first rider deck for 17 years and then replaced it with another rider deck 6 years ago. The rider deck feels like a 'part of me.' I have oohed and aahed over other sumptuous decks I have seen in stores... running my fingers idly over them... but none, no matter how gorgeous, have 'called,' to me. Unless/until a new deck does, I will stick to what I know. As with reading the cards, I think you have to listen to your instincts.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:27 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Tarot is an art form as well as a method of divination. Any deck will work for you as long as you take the time to learn how to use it.

You have to take into consideration that different decks might possibly speak differently and each deck would have to be learned.

There is some really gorgeous artwork being used for some of the tarot decks.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Tarot is an art form as well as a method of divination. Any deck will work for you as long as you take the time to learn how to use it.

You have to take into consideration that different decks might possibly speak differently and each deck would have to be learned.

There is some really gorgeous artwork being used for some of the tarot decks.
There is! Every time I use my Crow deck, I reexamine each card that comes up singularly or in the spread and truly admire the work the artist has done. Sometimes I see something that I missed before or that jumps out at that moment with a significance it may not have had for me another time. I feel very connected with this one. Whereas, my partner has a couple of decks that are very nice but don't move me in the same way.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:38 AM

43,058 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is! Every time I use my Crow deck, I reexamine each card that comes up singularly or in the spread and truly admire the work the artist has done. Sometimes I see something that I missed before or that jumps out at that moment with a significance it may not have had for me another time. I feel very connected with this one. Whereas, my partner has a couple of decks that are very nice but don't move me in the same way.
As they say....the cards talk to you.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
As they say....the cards talk to you.
Mine caw, actually.

But seriously, yes.

Old 03-23-2022, 02:09 PM

29 posts, read 15,327 times
I have a Deck and I tell ya if I didnt have a book telling me what each meant I would be lost.......... It IS interesting when your doing a reading and a card comes up upside down...... Thats easy enough to understand the meaning of those though.... (Upside down lesser influence in your situation)

Last edited by winipcfg; 03-23-2022 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-24-2022, 09:30 AM

23,139 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
that would be an individual's reasons and not one for anyone else to decide is rubbish or not. People buy them for different reasons. I have a friend who loves collecting all different decks. I don't know if she uses all of them, though.

I bought a Rider-Waite deck when I took a basic reading course because that's what was required for the class.

I didn't buy another until one day one really caught my eye--a Crow Tarot deck. I love crows, along with other birds, and I feed them regularly, so I bought that one. It has a great eight-card "crow spread" that's roughly in the shape of a bird with wings and a head. I've gotten quite a bit out of that deck. It's the one for me.

https://www.amazon.ca/Crow-Tarot-Mj-...58565917&psc=1

I haven't had an urge to run out and buy any more, though.

But to your remark about all the You-tubers: I took the basic class because I wanted to learn to read the cards for my own personal use. However, I was surprised that at least half the people in the class planned to try to do professional readings. Since they were just now learning the basics and history of the deck and the artwork in the Rider-Waite, that seemed odd to me. I would think someone would have to develop skills over time in order to become a reader. I wonder if any of them had any success.
Interesting, I am going to read up on thst stuff, I find it more and more interesting because of so many shows and games using them, be cool to have a very old deck like there was a history, and a little magic from all the readings it would give.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winipcfg View Post
I have a Deck and I tell ya if I didnt have a book telling me what each meant I would be lost.......... It IS interesting when your doing a reading and a card comes up upside down...... Thats easy enough to understand the meaning of those though.... (Upside down lesser influence in your situation)
Oh yes, I use the little book also for reference, but when I took the class, the instructor told us to avoid using the book as much as possible the first year, or at least to only look at it after you got in the habit of listening to how your own psychic abilities spoke to you through the cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism