Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times

Advertisements

My son stopped napping right before his 3rd birthday.

My daughter is now 3 and she is slowly sleeping less and less at naptime, so I think hers will leave soon as well.

Your lucky to have your 3 1/2 year old still napping, that's longer then most. I would think about 3 years is average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 09:56 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
At what age did your children stop napping?

My little girl is only 3 1/2 and I think she's too young to stop napping but we've started having trouble getting her to sleep on time in the evening. On the days she doesn't nap and just ends up taking quiet time in her bed, she then goes to sleep easier, and around her bedtime time (8:30pm), in the evening.

My child naps for about 1 1/2 hrs the two days she goes to daycare and anywhere from 1-2 hours at home most days.

My friend's son stopped napping completely around 3 yrs old but I don't personally think that's the norm... (but I could be wrong).

When did you your children stop napping?

3 was the norm at our house. In fact, when one of mine was 4 and in pre-school they would make the kids lie down after lunch and he HATED it. Enforcing the right bed time seemed to give him the amount of sleep he needed in a day without naps.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
My dd 2 and 7 months. I was looking forward to some quiet time during naps because I had a newborn but she had other plans. My ds is 2 and 7 months now and naps some days and some days doesn't. You are lucky to have made it till 3 1/2.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:03 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Around 3 years old. I actually would like them to be able to fall asleep easier at night then to have them sleep too much during the day and take forever to fall asleep at night.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Phase out naps?! Are you kidding me.. that is my sanity hour

In all seriousness, it really depends on the child. My son who just turned 3 a couple days ago still takes naps for about 2-3 hours a day. If he doesn't, come 5pm he is a total nightmare. However, my friends son who will be 3 in 2 weeks, he stopped taking naps when he turned 2.

I don't think I am going to try to phase my son out of naps. He will let me know, by either telling me or by other clues, that he no longer needs them. For right now, nap time is a great time of day for both of us

Old 06-13-2010, 08:23 PM

841 posts, read 4,838,640 times
One was 4.5 and one was 2! Once my youngest turned 2 he refused to nap during the day. He's 6 now and still sleeps less than his older brother. My youngest is now a night owl. Some kids need a lot of sleep, others not as much.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:10 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
I like a nap around 2:30pm.
You know that afternoon doze

Old 06-13-2010, 09:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Kids generally phase out naps somewhere between 2.5 and 5. However, you can have a *quiet* time for a while in the afternoon even if they don't nap. My kids had an hour to an hour and a half of quiet time where they could look at books in their bed or even play with a quiet toy. Sometimes they did nap and other times they did not. This was standard routine though until they were in school all day in kindergarten or first grade.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
you can't force a kid to sleep. Instead of calling it nap time, if the child is resisting, I would change the time to quiet time. Books on the bed, stuffed toys, etc and sometimes they would actually sleep. Depends on the kid and the kind of day they have had.

I told my kids I needed quiet time too and we had to have a quiet house for at least 1.5 hr in the afternoon.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
At what age did your children stop napping?
#1 stopped at this past Feb & he turned 4 in Nov. The biggest indicator was bedtime...1-2 hrs to get to sleep & then one day his preschool teacher mentioned that he seemed a little overtired (which for him means hard time listening, sitting still, very off-focus) & I mentioned to her that he was really struggling w/ getting to sleep. She asked about naps & mentioned that maybe he was starting to outgrow naps.

With a 2yr old at home & another on the way, I was NOT ready to give up naps (as my 2yr old is the best napper ever) as that was my only moment of down time but 11pm bedtimes for a 4yr old was more concerning.

He has quiet time in his room. It started off well over 1 to sometimes 1 1/2 hours. And that is exactly what it is..quiet time. He can read his library books, do his "homework" as he calls it (maze books, dot to dot books) but his door is shut & he is to stay in his bed. Some days, he falls asleep.

Now, he has 45 mins of quiet time & then can come out & has tv time for 30 mins as #2 is usually still sleeping.

It's worked out nicely & he falls asleep quite quickly & it's pleasant at night.

I have more than a few friends who children have NEVER napped be it they are just not nappers or many other reasons. Every child is different!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting