Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:58 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
It appears that you truly are an expert. No eyes rolled. Just this:

It is exactly from such experts' "wisdom" that I learned to defend myself and my family after observing what's going on around me - with eyes wide open, and after reading mountains of cross-disciplinary information (probably more than many of them have done during their quest for a narrowly specialized degree).

Such "expertise" is particularly dangerous as it is both politically charged AND officially sanctioned by the contemporary Psycho establishment as THE legitimate approach - at the level of public discourse.

I know better.
Huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:20 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It has everything to do with it. Parents who ALWAYS feel the need to stop the tantrum are frequently the ones who feel the need to control every aspect of a child's behavior. Many of those parents continue to control every aspect of the child's behavior as they grow up, thus creating a teenager who has no idea how to self regulate his behavior because someone is always there to do it for him.
Funny you should say that. Usually when a parent gives a quick swat at the onset of a tantrum, the child does not repeat, so there would be no ALWAYS, only when the parent just talks and talks and talks.
Quote:
I don't categorize what you describe as a tantrum. Crying and stomping around to get what they want is different from a tantrum (IMO). I consider a tantrum when a child is screaming, yelling, and is totally out of control.

Your child is simply being cranky in order to get her way. Yes-that sort of behavior is purposeful. I would not ignore that sort of behavior either although I would tell the child very calmly what she need to do to get what she wants. Of course you need to take the time to insist that she comply with family rules. She needs to comply or she does not get what she wants.
A screaming, yelling and totally out of control child is going to simply stop because you speak? LOL, Ok.

You would very calmly tell the child what she needs to do to get what she wants????? Are you serious???? What ever happened to the word NO ??? When I tell my child NO, there is NOTHING she can do to get what she wants. Even when she was small.

That's a large part of the problem. Kids grow up thinking they can have whatever they want just by holding out long enough. KIDS DON'T NEED EVERYTHING THEY WANT.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:34 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
A screaming, yelling and totally out of control child is going to simply stop because you speak? LOL, Ok.
In the case I was writing about child is not out of control. She is not complying with a family rule. That's not out of control. The mother wants a certain behavior so YES she needs to listen to the mother's explanation.

Read it more slowly next time.

Quote:
You would very calmly tell the child what she needs to do to get what she wants????? Are you serious???? What ever happened to the word NO ??? When I tell my child NO, there is NOTHING she can do to get what she wants. Even when she was small.
The mother didn't say NO, she said "You need to do XYZ to nurse." She wanted the child to comply with a family rule. So in that case I wouldn't just say NO, I would tell the child what she needed to do in order to get what she wanted.

Read the posts just a little more carefully please.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
The mother didn't say NO, she said "You need to do XYZ to nurse." She wanted the child to comply with a family rule. So in that case I wouldn't just say NO, I would tell the child what she needed to do in order to get what she wanted.

Read the posts just a little more carefully please.
To NURSE??? You're arguing with a child who nurses???? HAHAHA. What was the family rule? She didn't park the car in the right place? She didn't finish her homework? She didn't tell her husband what time to pick her up??

You're arguing with a child who nurses???

Old 06-13-2010, 01:56 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Quote:
To NURSE??? You're arguing with a child who nurses???? HAHAHA. What was the family rule? She didn't park the car in the right place? She didn't finish her homework? She didn't tell her husband what time to pick her up??

You know, I usually appreciate your no-nonsense perspective (and often agree with you) but lately you've just been snarky for no obvious reason. Mocking a nursing mother and her child is just one more example....and not one that presents you in a good light. JMHO.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:

I'm not arguing with ANYONE.

Is this your way of acknowledging that you either:

1. Didn't read
2. Didn't understand

my original post on this topic? You really don't get what the discussion is about. I will allow you to be as nasty as you need to be. It must make you feel better about yourself.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:29 PM

This thread is about tantrums, not Junior asking to breastfeed. If a child threw a tantrum because they wanted to breastfeed, I'd whack their bottom and sit them down with a cup. No tantrum necessary.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I'm not arguing with ANYONE.

Is this your way of acknowledging that you either:

1. Didn't read
2. Didn't understand

my original post on this topic? You really don't get what the discussion is about. I will allow you to be as nasty as you need to be. It must make you feel better about yourself.
And you think being condescending is attractive? Stop being nasty and all high and mighty.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
And you think being condescending is attractive? Stop being nasty and all high and mighty.
So did you not understand it, or not read it?

Old 06-13-2010, 04:53 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,292 times
Quote:
This thread is about tantrums, not Junior asking to breastfeed. If a child threw a tantrum because they wanted to breastfeed, I'd whack their bottom and sit them down with a cup. No tantrum necessary.
I did not ask for advice on what I should do when "junior" wants to breastfeed and throws a tantrum, especially not from you. I already decided what I was to do and I did it. I allowed it to go but it stopped on its own when "junior" finally followed my rules. You would have handled it differently hence the purpose of the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting