Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:45 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
lol, I remember my crushes in elementary school. We used to play "kiss tag" and chase the boys at recess to try to get 'em. This was kindergarten!

It was all innocent. I had crushes every year though. I remember sitting in class the first week of school picking out the cute boy for the year, and then playing games with my girlfriends to pick who we were going to marry (jump rope rhymes, etc)
Right, I remember that too. But we never held hands or got dumped for someone else because they usually didn't know you had a crush on them. If they did it usually resulted in nothing more than teasing or giving each other cooties and running before they could give them back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 02:23 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
That's sort of what gets me with this whole thing. I remember little schoolyard crushes and simple things like that, but with these kids (my son included) it seems to be a bit more than that. It's almost like they are pursuing a real relationship. My son was upset when the girl at his old school said she liked another boy more and was elated when she decided she liked him more. Like I said I remember the schoolyard games and crushes, but I also don't remember being upset if the girl I thought was cute liked me or not or another boy for that matter.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:36 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
This was 12 years ago.....A little girl in DS's pre-school (4 yo) was telling us one day about her 'boyfriend' and the sexy panties her parents bought for her.

Yeah, we might have had crushes in elementary school but were nothing as compared to kids now. It's disturbing.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:18 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,690,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
However, since the lowering of standards, mores and values in society and on television in the last 20 years, and the way 99% of kids are being raised with 6-10 hours of tv a day, this is the kind of crap that is happening more and more.

It is very sad, but young kids are getting WAY too much information at WAY too early of an age on the subject of sex, relationships and violence. And the really upsetting thing is, most of what they are getting is BAD information. Too many parents today haven't yet grown up themselves and treat their kids more like peers too.
That's absurd. My first crush was in third grade for a boy in second. We never watched TV. There were a few kids in 3rd and 4th grades who actually held hands.

My oldest never watched TV. A little first grader had a wild crush on her when she was in 3rd grade. He chased her all over everywhere.

My youngest didn't watch TV except Barney, and when she was in kindergarten, she was in the same Tai Kwon Do class as a little second grader. She went over to play at his house one afternoon and as she took her turn playing a game, he went to the chair his father was sitting in, put his hand on his dad's shoulder, sighed and said, "Isn't she most beautiful girl you've ever seen?". His mom told me about it later.

My boy never watched anything but Barney. When he was 3 and in preschool, he had a crush on a little 4 year old named Jessica. He made every effort to sit with her on the bus every day after school. He's had girls after him his whole life. He's now going with a girl from Japan.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
That's absurd. My first crush was in third grade for a boy in second. We never watched TV. There were a few kids in 3rd and 4th grades who actually held hands.

My oldest never watched TV. A little first grader had a wild crush on her when she was in 3rd grade. He chased her all over everywhere.

My youngest didn't watch TV except Barney, and when she was in kindergarten, she was in the same Tai Kwon Do class as a little second grader. She went over to play at his house one afternoon and as she took her turn playing a game, he went to the chair his father was sitting in, put his hand on his dad's shoulder, sighed and said, "Isn't she most beautiful girl you've ever seen?". His mom told me about it later.

My boy never watched anything but Barney. When he was 3 and in preschool, he had a crush on a little 4 year old named Jessica. He made every effort to sit with her on the bus every day after school. He's had girls after him his whole life. He's now going with a girl from Japan.

How convenient (and typical of your tactics) to take only part of my post and twist it to fit your agenda - which seems to be finding ways to argue with posters whenever possible

What I said BEFORE I said the stuff about todays kids getting too much inappropriate info at too young of an age from tv is this:

Little puppy love school yard crushes have happened since the beginning of time. I still remember my first crush in the 2nd grade - an angelic looking little boy named Milton.

Read that FIRST and all the crap you just wrote makes no sense. I AGREE that kids will have little crushes at young ages, even when they grow up WITHOUT a tv, I know I did!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Not necessarily. Incest and child molestation is really just starting to get the attention it's so badly needed for so long.
Huh?

No clue how this is a response to what I posted.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Huh?
No clue how this is a response to what I posted.
Oh, I was responding to
Quote:
You probably don't know. But the fact that it isn't being talked about must be better than if it was.
as you know, but was trying to say that just because it's not being talked about doesn't mean it's all good...not happening...nothing's going on. Incest, molestation isn't talked about often either, but it's there. That just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. That's what I was trying to get across.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:07 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Kids do have crushes at an early age but what worries me is this nonsense about being in a realtionship, and emulating adults ...too much TV maybe ?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Kids do have crushes at an early age but what worries me is this nonsense about being in a realtionship, and emulating adults ...too much TV maybe ?

EXACTLY - I belive that IS Whyte's point - not that kids would have crushes. It's the emulating of adult behavior and adult conversation that is disturbing.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,913,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
That's exactly what I think the problem is. I don't see a problem whatsover with my son or daughter having a little crush on a kid at school. I think everyone had a crush on someone in 1st or 2nd grade. But this generation has taken it a little too far, which I think is due to TV and other outside influences that weren't too present years ago).

Another thing I'm seeing (that really ticks me off!) are parents who think it's cute to set up "relationships" with their six and seven year old kids. To me, that's just promoting boy-girl relationships and honestly, why on
earth would you want kids to be involved with that at such a young age? Some people..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting