Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times

Advertisements

I don't have kids so I have no idea if this is an approrpriate way to talk to your 10 year old or not so I was wondering if you parents can tell me if this is weird.

My coworker talks to his daughter on the phone 5-6 times a day. He puts the speakerphone on when she leaves messages and I hear stuff like this:

"Daddy (pleading voice), I miss you. Are you coming home early? "

One time, she called and just wanted to know what time it was. Shouldn't a 10 year old be able to figure this out on her own??? I would say this is none of my business to comment on but he talks so loud you can't help but to hear everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:08 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,671 times
sounds like she wants to talk to her daddy. The "what time is it" may just be an excuse for a reason to call. lol, my 10yo will walk past three clocks to ask me what time is it.

It is actually a testimony to his communication with his daughter that she feels free to talk to him openly and about the small stuff. That should be encouraged. When a girl has a strong connection with her father at 10, she is more likely to have a better relationship with him at 15 and can talk about the big stuff and is less likely to get into a boy-girl relationship where she is manipulated.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Is she home alone?

Kids who are homealone want/need to know when there parents are comming home, They call because they are board, lounly.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Sounds like she's home alone. She's using the phone connection with her father to sooth her fears.

10 is as bit young to be home alone for long periods. Some can handle a couple of hours after school. Some can't handle being alone at that age.

As for telling time, some children and adults with language processing disorders can't tell time on a face clock.

I have a friend who didn't learn to tell time on a face clock until his mid-20s.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:26 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Regarding asking what time it is....he may have told her to expect him home at 5 pm and she is calling to give him a gentle reminder. Or, like others stated, she may be looking for a reason to call. Most 10 year old girls are real chatterboxes by the end of the day...they have stories to tell about their friends and the kid who sat next to them on the bus and what happened in gym class, etc. Along with the 5-6 phone calls the dad probably gets an earful when he gets home.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:15 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
10 yo should not be home alone for long periods.

Dad should spend time with their kids when they are home. Play games, kick balls, ride bikes, read books. It is hard. You have to make the effort. I have to conciously make sure I do not bring work home (which is tempting because I like my work) and I have to conciously make sure when I get home that I play with the kids. To easy just to sit and read or do something that just has to be done. Mind you getting the kids to help with home maintenance is good because they are doing things with me and we are getting the maintenance done. But sometimes they want to play or choose the activity.

10yo should feel free to call dad at work if it is really important BUT they should learn what is really important and what can wait and what being anoying means.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
10yo should feel free to call dad at work if it is really important BUT they should learn what is really important and what can wait and what being anoying means.
That line of thinking doesn't apply if the child is a latchkey, home alone child because being scared is really important.

You may think it's annoying for a child who is scared to find excuses to call, but that's what home alone children do until they become more mature.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Hows this for annoying, "I'm 10 years old, still in elementary school but I come home to an empty house every day and spend my time alone until my dad gets home." Yeah, that kinda sucks.

Having a job does not excuse one from parenting duties and a 10 year old, at home alone is pushing it, IMO. Here, elementary schools let out before 2:30 pm and most working parents wouldn't be home for several hours.

The dad may need to find a better balance for phone calls after school or find a sitter for the child but I can't imagine telling a kid they are annoying or not really important enough to call at work.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:32 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
The OP did not mention anything about the kid being a latch key kid.

I said that
10 yo should not be home alone for long periods.
Dad should spend time with their kids
10yo should feel free to call BUT...

Old 06-11-2010, 05:41 AM

The OP didn't mention it because the OP probably doesn't know the child is a latch key child. The OP described EXACTLY how latch key children behave when home alone.

Latch key children call their parents at work CONSTANTLY. I know because I've had many coworkers whose children were home alone and calling all day like the OP describes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting