Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:55 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
you let them go.

There are two things that I can't get off my mind concerning things like this trip, the prior trip by the Austrailian, the 13 year old Dutch girl who was about to make the same attempt, the 13 year old boy who climbed the mountain a short time ago.

1. I can't imagine my child coming up with an idea like that all by herself, much less her parents agreeing to fund such an outlandish folly.

2. With the amount of manpower and planes, and boats/ships used in this search and rescue effort in the past few days, the bottom line is going to be astronomical. WHO IS GOING TO PAY????

The Australian plane that located her, found her 2000 miles off their coast. That won't be a cheap flight. Not to mention everybody else who has been looking, now rescuing.
If you think mom & pops works 9-5 at the factory...think again.

Also another word: sponsors. Sponsors pay big, big bucks & take care of everything.

The family has strong ties to friends in Australia.

Pick at it as you may.

Find all the fault.

Not going to change extreme adventurers, no matter what the age.

The boy who climbed Everest is fascinating. I'd love to talk to him. What an amazing experience & what forititude. Sorry, but HE had to want to do it. The physical stamina that is required is not something someone does so daddy stops bugging him....same as Abby...SHE is the one on the boat, not her parents. Incredibly driven young adults.

Is this the right life for everyone. No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 01:03 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If you think mom & pops works 9-5 at the factory...think again.

Also another word: sponsors. Sponsors pay big, big bucks & take care of everything.

The family has strong ties to friends in Australia.

Pick at it as you may.

Find all the fault.

Not going to change extreme adventurers, no matter what the age.

The boy who climbed Everest is fascinating. I'd love to talk to him. What an amazing experience & what forititude.

Is this the right life for everyone. No.
I'm thinking it wasn't the friends in Australia who flew over the ocean 2,000 miles. And it won't be 'friends' who picked her up in a fishing boat, or friends who will get her from the fishing boat to home. It will be the authorities. THAT will come out of tax dollars, whatever country is involved, i.e. Australia, etc..

We have the same thing here. Idiots ski off the trails, get lost and it costs tens of thousands of dollars to find their sorry butts and pull them off the mountains. They are just now talking about charging them for the search and rescue.

If they want to dance, they should be willing and able to pay the piper.

I have no problem with them doing it, but I believe THEY should be responsible for the costs of the rescue and search.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 PM

She hasn't stopped, no one is getting her off the boat & has another 12 days before she gets close to Australia.

Sponsors will pay what needs to be paid.

I don't appreciate our tax dollars going to save those who purposely ski in bad areas or surf when a hurricane is coming ashore. Many times, these people are billed for a small amount.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:08 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
I would rather my tax dollers spent rescuing someone who is trying to push the boundaries rather than proping up the nany state or on yet another government employed consultant.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:36 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
I think she's a role model for teens and young adults. Even if the trip is a failure.

The k-12 school system in american is so horrendous, it zaps any sort of individuality, adventure, drive, determination, or god forbid...self reliance in young people. Sailing around the world solo is the absolute anthesis of the stale drudgery most teens get.

There are very few real role models for teens (esp teen girls). Britney Spears? Child actors that end up in rehab? 16 year olds are doing far worst things than trying to sail around the world. Bravo to her. It wasnt planned well.

But they gave her the best safety equipment and boat they could. I dont get the endangerment issues if you're sending someone out with the best safety equipment. If you sent your kids to climb mt everest without the right oxygen tanks, then thats different.

-Also, a lot of kids dont travel, or have the means too. Most people dont know where madagascar is, let alone reunion island. Some of the remote islands down there are fascinating. Her brother zac stopped at Cocos Keeling in the indian ocean, st helena, etc. The sunderland kids have more to talk about than most people twice their age.

Being in the southern indian ocean in winter isnt brilliant, but in a way they have more freedom out there, than here.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think she's a role model for teens and young adults. Even if the trip is a failure.

The k-12 school system in american is so horrendous, it zaps any sort of individuality, adventure, drive, determination, or god forbid...self reliance in young people. Sailing around the world solo is the absolute anthesis of the stale drudgery most teens get.

There are very few real role models for teens (esp teen girls). Britney Spears? Child actors that end up in rehab? 16 year olds are doing far worst things than trying to sail around the world. Bravo to her. It wasnt planned well.

But they gave her the best safety equipment and boat they could. I dont get the endangerment issues if you're sending someone out with the best safety equipment. If you sent your kids to climb mt everest without the right oxygen tanks, then thats different.

-Also, a lot of kids dont travel, or have the means too. Most people dont know where madagascar is, let alone reunion island. Some of the remote islands down there are fascinating. Her brother zac stopped at Cocos Keeling in the indian ocean, st helena, etc. The sunderland kids have more to talk about than most people twice their age.

Being in the southern indian ocean in winter isnt brilliant, but in a way they have more freedom out there, than here.
The best safety equipment in the world is no match for the Roaring Forties during serious weather conditions. She had no business being there and her parents were idiots to allow it.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The best safety equipment in the world is no match for the Roaring Forties during serious weather conditions. She had no business being there and her parents were idiots to allow it.
Is there a better route to accomplish this feat? I read on her blog last wk that she diverted icey conditions. She is only in a 40ft boat!

Just wondering if there would be a better route or if to meet the rec standards, she has to sail this particular route.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Is there a better route to accomplish this feat? I read on her blog last wk that she diverted icey conditions. She is only in a 40ft boat!

Just wondering if there would be a better route or if to meet the rec standards, she has to sail this particular route.
It's a combination of both route and time of year of passage. The Roaring Forties are always formidable, but less so at some times. Timing on a circumnavigation, then, is like threading the proverbial needle. Instead of waiting things out, however, she set sail in an extremely dangerous time, kind of like taking a small craft like that through the Caribbean in the middle of August and September--a time when sane sailors get out of the hurricane belt, and even sailors in that area can get into a hurricane hole pretty quickly.

In short, there's an enormous different between taking calculated risks and flat-out gambling. By sanctioning her crossing the Indian Ocean at this latitude at this time of year, her parents were gambling with their daughter's life.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:44 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Personally, I'm not even sure how a parent can sign off on their kid going into war, climbing Mount Everest, or sailing around the world solo ... at ANY age. You don't know the definition of pain until you loose a child (and I certainly don't want to find out what that's like). I don't admire ANY of these people that do this adventurous crap or allow children to do these things. I know some pretty unique and interesting kids, and none of them have sailed around the world or climbed Everest... you don't have to do those type of things to be interesting... not in the least. Surely the 16-year old's moronic parents know this... but I'm thinking they don't...

Old 06-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It's a combination of both route and time of year of passage. The Roaring Forties are always formidable, but less so at some times. Timing on a circumnavigation, then, is like threading the proverbial needle. Instead of waiting things out, however, she set sail in an extremely dangerous time, kind of like taking a small craft like that through the Caribbean in the middle of August and September--a time when sane sailors get out of the hurricane belt, and even sailors in that area can get into a hurricane hole pretty quickly.

In short, there's an enormous different between taking calculated risks and flat-out gambling. By sanctioning her crossing the Indian Ocean at this latitude at this time of year, her parents were gambling with their daughter's life.
Thanks for explaining.

It just seems that it being such a strong sailing family, they'd outweigh the risks versus setting a record Interestingly enough, Jordan Romero (the 13yr old who summitted Everest) went up the most dangerous side in his attempt....

I've always admired certain feats from afar (anything to do with Ernest Shackelton or early MT Everest attempts grabs my attention) & I guess in todays world for teenagers which seems so laden w/ lack of motivation or care, it is intriguing to hear kids wanting to do something other than text.

Yet, a certain amount of common sense does have to come into play & this is where the parents need to step up to the plate & basically take charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting