Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Not true. The whole thing was staged and timed to promote and bring attention to the new reality show the father signed for.
And .... to promote the website set up for Abby's benefit. Had she succeeded that website alone would have made her a pretty penny.

You know, the more I think about it, IN MY OPINION "true heros" are those that go to extremes to help OTHERS. Volunteering as a teacher, helping the homeless, attempting to save someone in a fire or an avalanche, on and on and on. THOSE, in my opinion, are the types of people we as society should be praising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 04:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post

I am sorry, but comparing trivial actions that all kids do, to a parent thrusting their child and their family into the public eye by such extreme measures, is ridiculous.
How many children b/w the ages of 16-18 were involved in car accidents that were due to distracted driving in 2008? Over 6,500. The number has only risen. Over 80% of 16-18yr old in 2009 stated they talked on the phone when they drove, even though they knew it was dangerous & in most cases, against the law. (From NHTSA)

How many children b/w the ages of 16-18 sailed a boat around the ocean.

Just want to see everyone as up in arms over the same age group texting & talking on cell phones while driving as ONE child who undertook this life-endangerment.

Getting all up in arms over 1 girl seems like a huge waste when there are obviously much more dangerous things going on in our own backyards.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Not true. The whole thing was staged and timed to promote and bring attention to the new reality show the father signed for.
And, we heard about the one from Australia who made it, so why wouldn't we have heard about this one?

Old 06-15-2010, 08:24 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
How many children b/w the ages of 16-18 were involved in car accidents that were due to distracted driving in 2008? Over 6,500. The number has only risen. Over 80% of 16-18yr old in 2009 stated they talked on the phone when they drove, even though they knew it was dangerous & in most cases, against the law. (From NHTSA)

Just want to see everyone as up in arms over the same age group texting & talking on cell phones while driving as ONE child who undertook this life-endangerment.

Getting all up in arms over 1 girl seems like a huge waste when there are obviously much more dangerous things going on in our own backyards.

I agree, I was referring to the post someone made about the cashier in the grocery store texting while she should have been waiting on her...
Yes, irresponsible, yes,rude.... but in no way does it compare to the girl sailing around the world.. that is all.
Of course there are all kinds of dangerous things that happen ,actions that kids do, again though, most of the time if a teenager is in the car texting while driving, their parent isn't (hopefully!) with them and encouraging them to do so!

Old 06-16-2010, 03:24 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
And, we heard about the one from Australia who made it, so why wouldn't we have heard about this one?
I started both threads because I felt these kids are an inspiration.

I am an Australian and I fully support the American kid. I was proud that our nation helped her. I was proud when I heard that we are not going to ask for payment and I hope that the American girl gets up and has another go. I also hope that she can make some money doing media stuff because if she does it for free then all that means is the media companies have less costs & more profit because I bet they would not run with ad advertisements!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I agree, I was referring to the post someone made about the cashier in the grocery store texting while she should have been waiting on her...
Yes, irresponsible, yes,rude.... but in no way does it compare to the girl sailing around the world.. that is all.
Of course there are all kinds of dangerous things that happen ,actions that kids do, again though, most of the time if a teenager is in the car texting while driving, their parent isn't (hopefully!) with them and encouraging them to do so!

THat was me as it did happen to me. I only go grocery shopping (minus fresh fruits/milk) about every 3-4 weeks, so I get a lot of stuff & 99% of the time help bag as just standing there staring at the cashier (as in our town the cashier is both cashier & bagger) seems incredibly rude. This one got on her phone and started texting as we were waiting for the credit card to go through & I started bagging. Found it completely wrong & I was referring to someone who mentioned that a part-time job teaches responsibility.....

The distracted driving article was in our paper this week & was just overwhelming the amount of deaths and serious injury that are being caused to teenagers due to texting/talking on their cell. And the NHTSA report did state the teenagers were well aware of the dangers yet did it anyway.

My mom & dad told me not to speed when I was 16. Ok, clap, clap. What do you think I did when I had the car w/ my friends? Drive the speed limit? Most of the time, probably, but I remember more than a few occassions where I was purposely stupide just to be stupid.

So, that being said, if people are going to claim child endangerment over this young girl (just one young girl) I want to see it done for a whole host of things that are truly killing our youth today...sailing around the world by oneself doesn't seem to be at the top of the list!

I don't agree necessarily w/ what occurred yet at the same time, see incredible endurance put out by a 16yr old. Her dad wasn't in the boat for the past 6 mnonths regardless of his intenttions.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:56 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I started both threads because I felt these kids are an inspiration.

I am an Australian and I fully support the American kid. I was proud that our nation helped her. I was proud when I heard that we are not going to ask for payment and I hope that the American girl gets up and has another go. I also hope that she can make some money doing media stuff because if she does it for free then all that means is the media companies have less costs & more profit because I bet they would not run with ad advertisements!
I understand that, but each of their motives were different. The American girl did it for fame and to kick off her father's reality show, the Australian met a personal goal and I haven't heard of any alternative motivation on her part. To me that's a huge difference.

Since the American girl was supposed to be so seasoned, well equipped and capable, one has to wonder if the failed attempt was actually staged to attract more attention. That's when the world started watching. That put her name in everybody's mind just before her father starts up his reality show.

It's like Kate Gosslin doing Dancing With the Stars just before her new reality show started. All preplanned and timed for greatest impact.

I'd rather my daughter be impressed by personal goals reached honestly and through hard work than to be impressed by a money, fame focused person trying to pull one over on the general public.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
I understand that, but each of their motives were different. The American girl did it for fame and to kick off her father's reality show, the Australian met a personal goal and I haven't heard of any alternative motivation on her part. To me that's a huge difference.

Since the American girl was supposed to be so seasoned, well equipped and capable, one has to wonder if the failed attempt was actually staged to attract more attention. That's when the world started watching. That put her name in everybody's mind just before her father starts up his reality show.
You know this because you are a mind reader?????

90% of what we hear/read in the media is spin and sensationalism. Online sources produced by who know who are even worse. We have absolutely no idea of everything going on in these kids heads and it is ridiculously arrogant to think we do.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:41 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
The Aussie girl had a false start. She sailed out from her home and in the middle of her first night crashed into a big cargo ship. Broke her mast. The nay sayers came out and condemed her. I can just imagine how she felt.

Luckilly she was able to get back up and get out to sea and sail down to Sydney for the official start.

The American girl has had a few problems. I hope she is able to pick it up and get back in the saddle.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

That's what makes this story so weird. *One girl*, who did this, compared to thousands of teen drivers.

It'd be like one of those tornado chasers on the learning channel, getting hit by something, and everyone is up in arms. Yes, but how many people chase tornado's?

Funny how the media profits off of other peoples stupidity (storm chasing, animal tricks, kate gosselin, cops, judy judy, gary coleman, surreal life, celebrity rehab, etc). But if she tries to make a little bit of a profit, she's nearly crucified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting