Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:15 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,397,051 times

Advertisements

I was teaching my nephew Charly a few things on piano - chopstix, heart-and-soul, and he was very interested, engaged and was 'getting it' - we were having fun. The he started reaching in on my hand and pushed it into the keys and I said 'we were playing a song..lets just finish it and we can..." SMACK he rears back and PUNCHES me HARD in the face! On instinct, I said "CHARLY!!! then held his face in my hand so he would not turn away, and making eye contact I said firmly "CHARLY don't you EVER EVER hit ME or ANYONE in the FACE like that again...that is WRONG!" and he wriggled away (I was not holding on too firmly) and he went CRYING HYSTERICALLY to his mother, my sister in law. "Uncle C yelled and me and held my face...wahhhh wahhh waaaahhhhh!" A minute or two later, SIL comes in with CHARLY demanding that I apologize to him, and my brother then follows into the room and is exclaiming to me "Great Uncle Cwaggy, now Charly is going to have a BAD DAY and it's YOUR FAULT!!!"

We'll I refused to apologize and told my SIL and bro that if I had EVER punched my uncle Steve in the face, mom would have spanked my butt raw and sent me to my room until my father came home who would then mete out his own brand of discipline.

Am I crazy? I think the parents here are sending Charly the wrong message. I was raised differently. The parents do not discipline this kid in any way so I think I shocked his little ego by telling he did a bad thing and not to ever do it again. My SIL needs to get her head on straight and my bro needs a clue.

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 03:24 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,698,356 times
Wrong? NEVER apologize for doing what needs to be done. Hold your ground. The kid knew what he did was wrong, and if he didn't, there is something seriously wrong with the way your brother and sister in law are parenting.

Your brother and his wife were WRONG, and so was the boy.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:43 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,451,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
I was teaching my nephew Charly a few things on piano - chopstix, heart-and-soul, and he was very interested, engaged and was 'getting it' - we were having fun. The he started reaching in on my hand and pushed it into the keys and I said 'we were playing a song..lets just finish it and we can..." SMACK he rears back and PUNCHES me HARD in the face! On instinct, I said "CHARLY!!! then held his face in my hand so he would not turn away, and making eye contact I said firmly "CHARLY don't you EVER EVER hit ME or ANYONE in the FACE like that again...that is WRONG!" and he wriggled away (I was not holding on too firmly) and he went CRYING HYSTERICALLY to his mother, my sister in law. "Uncle C yelled and me and held my face...wahhhh wahhh waaaahhhhh!" A minute or two later, SIL comes in with CHARLY demanding that I apologize to him, and my brother then follows into the room and is exclaiming to me "Great Uncle Cwaggy, now Charly is going to have a BAD DAY and it's YOUR FAULT!!!"

We'll I refused to apologize and told my SIL and bro that if I had EVER punched my uncle Steve in the face, mom would have spanked my butt raw and sent me to my room until my father came home who would then mete out his own brand of discipline.

Am I crazy? I think the parents here are sending Charly the wrong message. I was raised differently. The parents do not discipline this kid in any way so I think I shocked his little ego by telling he did a bad thing and not to ever do it again. My SIL needs to get her head on straight and my bro needs a clue.

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong about this.
You are getting me started. And I will force myself to stop before I start because Hell - raw Hell! - will come from this keyboard if I continue.

So in the name of civility, I would just suggest: how about cutting it off with this deranged family altogether?

"Charley will have a bad day".

Yes, it is much worse than my bitc*ing on this forum ever managed to get to.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:52 PM

6,776 posts, read 13,564,891 times
My Mom would have given me an ass whoopin if I EVER punched anyone. Much less an adult.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,700,862 times
"I am so sorry that my face interrupted the free travel of your fist. Please forgive me."

I know you're sorry, now apologize (*one of my favorite lines, by the way*)

Also, it brings to mind the time I had to apologize to my mom because she kicked the wall stud instead of me because I ducked--and she broke her foot.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:05 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,755,654 times
Does this kid have any special needs or something? The kid should have apologized to you for hitting you. Next time the kid wants to play with you just say no because you do not play with children that hit.
The parents are way off and they will pay for it in the future.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:17 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,347,459 times
What a little brat. No, you were not in the wrong, that child, and his parents were.

I can't even imagine the beating I would incur from my parents if I hit another adult as a kid.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:24 PM

604 posts, read 857,770 times
+1 to suzie02 above; good advice! But OMG, I'm fuming for you! I would BURN before I "apologized" to the little prince. In another 10 years your SIL is going to be totally overwhelmed by her uncontrollable child, and her lament will be, "I don't understand why he's like this!" That might be the time to remind her of this incident.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:50 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,480,099 times
OMG.... I can't even imagine what would have happened to me if I talked back to, no less hit an adult when I was a child!

This kid sounds like a spoiled brat with parents who have no clue how to "parent". I wouldn't cut ties with them, but I would speak to the parents alone and tell them they are wrong. The kid hit YOU while you were trying to teach him something fun. If they don't see that their kid is wrong and they think it's OK for him to hit others (especially adults), then I would tell them they and their child are not welcome in your home and you won't visit theirs until they teach the child RESPECT for others.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:02 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,818,781 times
My husband is a professor and he always comments on how much his students have changed over the years. He says they used to be pretty well behaved but as the years went on, they've gotten more and more entitled. In a few instances, they've even blamed him for their bad grades when they didn't show up to class, failed to take the tests or turn in assignments. He spends a good portion of time now in class dealing with bad behavior instead of teaching. And this is college level!

Parents these days are way too permissive. The center their lives around their kids and think giving them what they want and not saying no is loving their kids. They couldn't be more wrong. It kind of makes me nervous to think of how the new generation will be when they reach adulthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting