Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:48 PM

12 posts, read 67,896 times

Advertisements

What have been your experiences with th nice stroller in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,353 times
To me a good stroller is one with a bar in front of the kid and a bit that goes from that bar down between their legs.

That way you can just drop the kid in and they cant fall out. Quick and easy.

I do not like those open front stroillers where you have to click the kid into a 5 point harness all the time. Because it is so much effort to put em in and take em out, the poor kid gets stuck in forever.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:10 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
What kind of "nice" did you have in mind?

We had a fairly expensive (although not by the world of high-end stroller prices, certainly!) stroller; the Inglesina Zippy runs about $300. Our strollers get a lot of use (I don't drive, and walk as my primary source of transportation for most daily things) so we decided that the various benefits of the Zippy were worth the price tag. I suppose other people use the same justification for the $600, $700, or more strollers, but for us there were no benefits to the more expensive ones. They weren't any better (for us) than what we had. Our San Francisco neighborhood was filled with some of the posher strollers, and while some of them were quite nice and seemed convenient, others seemed pointlessly filled with extras that made them, I thought, impractical for use in the city. I do know others who swear by their Bugaboo frogs; they have slightly different needs than I do, and for them they could also justify that the high price tag (and those are really expensive!) was worth it, especially if you'll be using it for more than one child. If we have another baby I'll have to rethink the Zippy as it doesn't work well in the snow, and any future babies will be out and about a lot in the MN winters.

Now that my son is older we mostly use a smaller (and very cheap) basic umbrella stroller when we need one.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,572 times
When my daughter was born (almost 11 years ago) we purchased a Peg Perego stroller that ran somewhere between $300 and $400. 7 years later, we had our son and we used the same stroller for him. So, when you think about how well the stroller held up and how long it lasted, we actually still it have it and it's still in great condition, then I would say that purchasing the high end stroller worked to our advantage.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Does really nice = really expensive? If so, I think we have two, although while I consider them expensive they aren't really expensive compared to some things out there.

When my son was born we used the travel system and hated how bulky it was. For my second child we bought a Peg Perego Pliko P3, I think it was ~$350. It was a fantastic stroller, easy to maneuver, easy to store and held up very well. When my third was born we wanted to get a double stroller as the youngest kids were only 15 months apart. We got another Peg Perego, this time an Aria Twin and I think it was just under $400. It folds up easy, maneuvers real well and also holds up great.

As the 2 youngest have gotten older, the middle one is starting to fight the whole stroller thing, so the double stays in the garage and my wife uses it when she walks my son to the bus stop and we use it when we take family walks. The single stroller we keep in the car and use it for the youngest when we go shopping.

Overall I think we have gotten our money out of them, but they don't do anything that much better than any other stroller. It seems their main advantage is the lightweight and how compact they fold up.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,682 times
I absolutely loved our stroller and it was not expensive, compared to the other postings here. We have the Graco Metro Light. It came with a great safety rated SnugRide infant car seat and was a "travel system". It is lightweight and has held up beautifully. It folds up small and is super easy to set up, get the carseat attached to it, take out, move the supportive seat around (when not using the carseat), push through gravel and grass, hold diaper bags, etc... And I think the entire thing was about $200-250 total, and BabiesRUs threw in an umbrella stroller too for the light trips.

I plan to use it again for the next child.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:43 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
My daughter just recently turned 2 years old and we are still using (occasionally) the Bugaboo Camelian that I purchased for about $900.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this stroller. Its the only stroller you'll ever need. It has double shoulder harness and a padded safety bar that goes in front. It also has great wheels and control where you can just push and steer with even one finger. Best of all, you can buy different colored covers/seats so it looks really cool. We have orange, pink, chocolate brown. Used it with our Peg Perego infant seat when the baby was first born.

YouTube - Bugaboo Cameleon Demonstration review in Lullaby Lane

Old 06-15-2010, 12:30 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,138 times
Honestly? I had the Graco Travel System stroller (about $145, including car seat) and I used it through 4 kids! ( got it for kid #2, it probably would have lasted for all five). The carseat too. It folded easily enough, fit in the trunk, and wasn't heavy. No was I would spend several hundred dollars on a stroller, unless I planned on having another 5 or so kids LOL.

I had the Graco Duo also and it was good, and $99.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:41 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Its not pretty but my favorite is my single jog stroller by dreamer design.

I live on gravel roads.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:03 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
My mother gave me a pretty cheap stroller from Meijer (the equivalent of Target). We put a lot of miles on it and it went through two kids. Expensive isn't necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting