Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I've never heard of showing up in time for your own act, but not the whole show that you are IN. People being late is a peeve of mine. I'm pretty much always on time or early for pretty much everything. I'm sure you must feel awful, and I hope you learned a lesson and will show up before the show starts next time. I'm sure there must have been a designated time for ALL performers to arrive before the show started...

Yes and if there wasn't prior to this event, I hope there will be in the future.

One of the valuable things I have learned from being a military dependent is (even though I always liked being early anyway) that 15 minutes early is on time and "on time" is late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 02:57 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
It's a shame, but as everyone is saying, "live and learn". On the other hand, I wouldn't blame yourself entirely, though. Years ago when my dd did the dance recitals, all the girls were required to be there for the entire day--even though we had hours to wait. There were dire consequences for anyone showing up late. I think the dance academy/instructor should specify a time all the girls should arrive by. I'm really surprised this was all so casual. There wasn't a specified time of arrival??

Old 06-14-2010, 03:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
As a music teacher.......I ask all performers to be there before the beginning of the performance AND I require them to stay until the end (they get a grade based on this). I ask them to all get there early so that this sort of thing cannot happen. I ask them to stay until the end because the people who perform last deserve an audience.
Excellent reminder. As boring as these events might be for adults, we're not just there for our own children, but to be an audience for all the children. If every parent only came for their child's performance, the children would only be performing for their own parents and the parents of the few other students on stage with them. There's no fun in that for a kid. Plus, being there in the beginning and staying for the entire performance teaches our children to support team mates.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Excellent reminder. As boring as these events might be for adults, we're not just there for our own children, but to be an audience for all the children. If every parent only came for their child's performance, the children would only be performing for their own parents and the parents of the few other students on stage with them. There's no fun in that for a kid. Plus, being there in the beginning and staying for the entire performance teaches our children to support team mates.
not to mention people arriving and leaving all through the show. That's rude and disruptive for the people who are watching the whole show.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:12 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
I know you feel really bad about this and we are all human..............may I suggest that you turn it around have her invite her family and friends that were to attend to your house for a special presentation and just make a huge deal about it...I am sure that will make up for it. You can tell her that it is a private showing. Maybe her friend can also come and they can perform together.

Just a suggestion

Old 06-14-2010, 04:16 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
Sorry but me thinks its your fault.

You should have been there before 9:30.

There are few things I fear in life but the ballet teacher is one of them

Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
As Momma_Bear states - that's what I remember when I was a child. You participate in the entire event - not just the time that is your event.

Whether it was softball tournaments (those last the whole day!) or band competitions (also the whole day) ... you are there to listen/watch/applaud your competitors, not just to be admired for your work.

Obviously you made a mistake, maybe for future events try to plan on your daughter participating in the entire program (first as a spectator, then a performer) rather than just getting there in time for her moment in the sun...

In the mean time - an honest mistake - don't be too hard on yourself.
I agree with the last two paragraphs. However I am wondering about the first and second ones. My oldest daughters (14 & 12) both play basketball, volleyball and soccer on classic/competitive teams and I have never heard (or seen) of parents/players who stay for the whole tournament, unless their game times require them to do so.

But anyways, yes you made a mistake. I'm sure your daughter is awfully sad (or maybe not, sorry I just skimmed through your OP) so somehow you could make it up to her. Whatever you do though, don't treat this like it's the end of the world. Yes, it wasn't a good thing to do on your part, but like I said, it's not the end of the world.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I agree with the last two paragraphs. However I am wondering about the first and second ones. My oldest daughters (14 & 12) both play basketball, volleyball and soccer on classic/competitive teams and I have never heard (or seen) of parents/players who stay for the whole tournament, unless their game times require them to do so.
Maybe not the entire tournament, but you stayed for your children's entire game, whether they were up at bat or sitting on the bench watching their teammates.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:45 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,092 times
Next time get there for the start and sit through it. Its like showing up just in time for Rosh Hashonah services just to hear the shofar being blown to usher in the (Jewish) New Year and then leaving thinking you have been absolved of your religious duty. Yyou can keep busy on your blackberry if you are that bored....just don't think you need to simply make an appearance. Kids know when you are not interested. You're guilt does though speak volumes about your sincerity to do the right thing next time.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post

But anyways, yes you made a mistake. I'm sure your daughter is awfully sad (or maybe not, sorry I just skimmed through your OP) so somehow you could make it up to her. Whatever you do though, don't treat this like it's the end of the world. Yes, it wasn't a good thing to do on your part, but like I said, it's not the end of the world.
Sports is not the same as performances. If you have ever been in a show choir or band or a dance performance, it is usual for everyone to be there for the entire performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting