Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yeah because hot natured people don't know how to dress for appropriate occasions.

I have a friend who is a big dude. He DOES NOT get cold in the winter, it can be snowing and 28 degrees out and he will be in a t-shirt.
He puts anything more on and he gets hot and burning up.

But boy does he know how to dress for the occasion...he was an explorer too, he had to go to court etc, decked out in a full suit and tie....he looked GOOD..

And teens wear jeans to funerals and adults don't know how to dress for job interviews because NO ONE TEACHES THEM.
Wearing cargo shorts in the winter to school has no correlation to wearing jeans to a funeral...

I live in colorado and TONS of guys wear shorts to school and girls wear skirts with uggs.. but A LOT of them know how to dress up when need be.
Read the whole conversation. I meant the fact that she lets her kid wear cargo shorts to the theater Your all caps above - Exactly my point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Um, I wonder if I'm your cousin , lol! Until my twins were 1-year, they wore pajamas, footed and unfooted (lots of Hanna Andersson zipper footless pj's), and occasionally a shortall or romper if it was warm. Comfort was my #1 priority and I didn't care what anyone else thought .
I wanted to respond to you and txtqueen.

While I am sure I gave the impression that I am dressing infants in tuxedo's and ball gown's to go out, that's not the case. On the contrary we are just generally dressing them. Whether it's a romper style outfit for the summer or a simple dress with a diaper cover. We just don't believe in taking the kids out of the house in a simple white onesie or their pajamas. It doesn't take much effort or expense to dress them in something besides pajamas when heading out the door. If we are just hanging around the house then yes, the kids spend a lot of time in their pajamas or the baby in a onesie. Also, with three kids under the belt, I've never found that any of them were uncomfortable as infants even if we dressed them in something fancier.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 AM

2,201 posts, read 3,360,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

While I am sure I gave the impression that I am dressing infants in tuxedo's and ball gown's to go out, that's not the case. On the contrary we are just generally dressing them. Whether it's a romper style outfit for the summer or a simple dress with a diaper cover. We just don't believe in taking the kids out of the house in a simple white onesie or their pajamas. It doesn't take much effort or expense to dress them in something besides pajamas when heading out the door. If we are just hanging around the house then yes, the kids spend a lot of time in their pajamas or the baby in a onesie. Also, with three kids under the belt, I've never found that any of them were uncomfortable as infants even if we dressed them in something fancier.
Nope, I didn't assume you dressed your infant in fancy clothes....just regular infant clothing.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Quote:

While I am sure I gave the impression that I am dressing infants in tuxedo's and ball gown's to go out, that's not the case. On the contrary we are just generally dressing them.
I am one of those onsie people because my daughter had really chunky legs. All of the elastic diaper covers where too tight unless we went with a really large size. Example, we had to buy 3T panties when she was just 12 months (attempting to potty train). So it didn't look very nice. It was okay, her cute face and dark hair made up for it.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:

I didn't think so either. I may be young but I am not THAT dumb.
If I was going to visit family or out to dinner etc then maybe just maybe I would put them in something cute besides a onesie but they would have to atleast be over 6 months under that, I'd leave them in something they wouldn't fuss in or want off.
But just running to the grocery store etc, I don't have children but I do kinda know how hard it is to go to the grocery store with a baby and how hard it is just to get out of the front door.

My mom had my brother when I was 5 so along with toting me around she had a baby and a diaper bag and her purse and anything I decided to drag out of the house with me that day....on top of all that it was just her.

So if I want to run to the grocery store to grab a few things....do I really want to spend an extra 5-10 minutes re dressing the baby, just to go pick up things from the grocery store?

I don't even do that now with myself.
If its like 2am and I am getting a caffeine withdrawal headache and im already in a college t-shirt, sports bra and some soccer shorts and the closest thing to me is my multi-colored neon flip flops, then so be it. I am not going to go put on jeans, a regular bra and a cute top just to go get a Pepsi or whatever it may be that I need.
Do I care what the 60-70 year old year old cashier thinks about me? Or the toothless one who they occasionally put on register thinks?
Not at all.

Trust me, this is coming from the girl who will not leave the house without a shower, dying hair, putting on make-up and looking good. Sometimes you don't have to dress everyone up just to go out in public.

I am all about comfort.
I refused to wear dresses in the winter because I hated cold legs. No matter what my mom said leggings were no where near as warm as pants.
Or any dresses for that matter. I liked to play, I didn't like not getting to play because I was worried about keeping the dress down.
I refuse to wear heals. A) I suck at walking in heels. B) I usually roll an ankle when wearing them, a swollen ankle in heels is not fun.

I think it stems from the child pageants my mom used to put me into. She would ALWAYS forget my change of clothes and i'd be stuck in some dress till we got home...whenever that was...and when she did bring my clothes as soon as I was done I'd be into regular clothes within 5 minutes of being done. I was no older than 8.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:13 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
If I was going to visit family or out to dinner etc then maybe just maybe I would put them in something cute besides a onesie but they would have to atleast be over 6 months under that, I'd leave them in something they wouldn't fuss in or want off.
But just running to the grocery store etc,
I don't have children but I do kinda know how hard it is to go to the grocery store with a baby and how hard it is just to get out of the front door.

I highlighted the most important part of that response... as all of us know that have children, there's a big learning curve in those first three years - more for the parents than the children themselves. And having a sibling 5, 10 or even 15 years younger just isn't the same. Nor is being an aunt. Nor is it the same to have friends with kids. And to be even more annoying I'll add, "You'll understand when YOU have kids of your own."

Because you really, really will.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
But just running to the grocery store etc,
I don't have children but I do kinda know how hard it is to go to the grocery store with a baby and how hard it is just to get out of the front door.

I highlighted the most important part of that response... as all of us know that have children, there's a big learning curve in those first three years - more for the parents than the children themselves. And having a sibling 5, 10 or even 15 years younger just isn't the same. Nor is being an aunt. Nor is it the same to have friends with kids. And to be even more annoying I'll add, "You'll understand when YOU have kids of your own."

Because you really, really will.
yep!

Not sure how this got to be about infants. Infants can't dress themselves in any case.

those one-piece outfits with feet are called "sleep-n-plays" and are the most practical thing for babies to wear. They aren't pajamas. they are multi-purpose outfits. And there is a HUGE difference between taking a baby or toddler to the grocery store, and letting a preschooler pick out her own clothes, and an elementary age (or older) girl being allowed to wear shorts to the theater.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
Like some of the other posters mentioned, I don't see the big deal in having the kids dress themselves. Let them be kids, let them use their imaginations...there will be a day where they grow up and are no longer wearing pink and purple, stripes and poka-dots and you can look back and remember those special moments where they just enjoyed being a kid....picking out what they are wearing and didn't give a hoot about what other people think. I was at disneyland a few weeks ago and you wouldn't imagine how many girls were dressed up in their favorite princess dresses. I thought it was cute and what a fun imaginative day!
Warning
By Jenny Joseph

WHEN I AM AN OLD WOMAN I SHALL WEAR PURPLE
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting