Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times

Advertisements

Despite the huge dose of skepticism I have regarding the vast, vast majority of parenting books, I grab one, once in a while, just to see what is the ideology "du jour" trumpeted in the ears of parents.

So I find a page in one of these books that lists "milestones" for every year between 0-12. So these guys claim that "playing a musical instrument" is a milestone for age 7. I was left speechless.

Since when are ALL children supposed to learn to play a musical instrument?

Have all humans suddenly become intrinsically musical, bursting with lyricism at the seams?

When I was growing up it was the very rare child who played a musical instrument and that was for no other reason but natural talent and actual desire to play it.

It is one thing for parents to want to give it a try and see if the child might develop an interest for playing a musical instrument, and it's another to list such a thing as a MILESTONE for all 7 yo - like walking and talking was for much younger ages.

What kind of insanity is this?

That being said, by no means am I against music, per se.
I play piano and I was frequently taken to concerts and the like growing up. We WOULD like our children to start a musical instrument but I am downright disturbed by the implication that if the undertaking does not work out, then the children will have missed a "milestone".

Speaking of which, what would you consider an appropriate age or level of readiness for starting a musical instrument? What are the first steps? Where should we even go for such a thing?

I am completely out of the loop as I did not grow up in the US and I am still quite foreign to the apparently scary, scary world of extra-curriculars in this country.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 02:08 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I am completely out of the loop as I did not grow up in the US and I am still quite foreign to the apparently scary, scary world of extra-curriculars in this country.
No idea what this is supposed to mean. Extra curriculars are scary? Why? In what way? It's not like they are a requirement, although most kids enjoy participating in at least a few activities.

Quote:
Speaking of which, what would you consider an appropriate age or level of readiness for starting a musical instrument? What are the first steps? Where should we even go for such a thing?
I'd consider it appropriate when the child shows an interest. DD never got much past playing with a pennywhistle or banging out a simple tune on a cheap keyboard, she just wasn't all that interested. DS taught himself a few more complicated tunes around the age of eight or nine and asked about taking lessons and getting a better keyboard. Bingo! He was ready.
As far as where to go, lots of places. Look in your local newspaper or online for people willing to give private or group lessons. Local colleges and universities often offer childrens classes through their continuing education courses. If your kids are in school it's likely that the school offers some kind of classes after school or during the summer.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I happened to have just started my almost 7 yo in drum lessons. Not because I read it in a book, but because he expressed interest in it, and I think he might actually have the talent. His teacher said most kids start a little later, when it is introduced in school. I never looked at it as something ALL kids must do at a certain age.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
I agree that there is no magical age - and forcing an instrument when there is not interest is pointless. Just my opinion. My mom did that to me.

My son on the hand wanted to try band out in 7th grade (through school). He played the trumpet for 3 years. Hand an unbelievable band teacher. He then started drums on the side, on his own and switched to that in high school. Really disliked the Jazz Band teacher and lost interest.

I do feel learning an instrument is a really good thing though. I would very much encourage it, but wouldn't force it.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Despite the huge dose of skepticism I have regarding the vast, vast majority of parenting books, I grab one, once in a while, just to see what is the ideology "du jour" trumpeted in the ears of parents.
Stop it. It will hurt your head.

Quote:
So I find a page in one of these books that lists "milestones" for every year between 0-12. So these guys claim that "playing a musical instrument" is a milestone for age 7. I was left speechless.
I am a music teacher (voice). I would say 7 is a good age to START playing some musical instruments. I wouldn't call is a milestone though.

Once a child can read their native language it is easier to teach them to read music. Some instruments are to large or require to much air for a 7 year old. For instance, I would not have a 7 year old play any woodwind or brass instrument.

They could play piano, a string instrument or drums at that age, but they are far to young for the others. 7 is an excellent age to start piano lessons.
Quote:
Since when are ALL children supposed to learn to play a musical instrument?

Have all humans suddenly become intrinsically musical, bursting with lyricism at the seams?

When I was growing up it was the very rare child who played a musical instrument and that was for no other reason but natural talent and actual desire to play it.
I think that music instruction is useful for all students, even those who are not exceptionally talented. I don't think it's an absolute requirement though.

Quote:
It is one thing for parents to want to give it a try and see if the child might develop an interest for playing a musical instrument, and it's another to list such a thing as a MILESTONE for all 7 yo - like walking and talking was for much younger ages.

What kind of insanity is this?
I agree. I do think that most kids benefit from some musical instruction but I do not think it is some sort of milestone. Perhaps the author meant is to mean that children would have developed the physical/intellectual skills to play a musical instrument by that age.

What book is it" I am curious now.

Quote:
That being said, by no means am I against music, per se.
I play piano and I was frequently taken to concerts and the like growing up. We WOULD like our children to start a musical instrument but I am downright disturbed by the implication that if the undertaking does not work out, then the children will have missed a "milestone".
Why would you even worry about this? It is clearly so stupid that it isn't worth your worry. Plenty of folks grow up totally normal who never mastered a musical instrument. I would recommend starting on piano.

I really think the authors must mean that by 7 they are OLD ENOUGH to start a musical instrument not that it is a milestone that they must reach.

Quote:

Thanks a lot.
I consider 7 an appropriate age to start on piano, drums, or string instruments. There are music stores that offer private music instruction. There are also teachers who come to the house for instruction (the option I have used). Ask your neighbors/friends for recommendations. My son is having a piano lesson right now!

Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I'm hoping the author included bongos, tamborines and finger cymbals in the "play a musical instrument by age 7" milestone. Otherwise just about every seven year old on the planet is a failure.

Music is one of the most powerful forces we have. Playing music, enjoying music is to be encouraged. Celebrated! But if that author thinks 7 year olds should be accomplished or proficient at that age he/she is delusional. Let's hope that it's a case of bad editing at the publishing house.

(And let's face it. Not everyone can play an instrument. Or carry a tune. I know people who can't sing a note but love Glee. More power to 'em!)

Old 06-16-2010, 03:41 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Don't know, I don't read that kind of book... .

Seriously, I don't, but I started piano when I was 7 and took lessons until 14. I was forced by my mother, but as I grew older, I'm glad she did. I picked up trumpet in 4th grade, drums in 9th grade, and baritone in 10 grade. After my daughter was born, I took some French horn lessons. All of them were easy because I already knew how to read music because of the piano for 7 years. I also sang in choirs for 30 years from the time I was 6 or 7.

Seven isn't a magic number. I've known lots of kids who started violin at 3 and 4 years old. I disagree about the instruments like winds and brass. Kids usually start recorder in 2nd or 3rd grade and can easily learn cornet or clarinet at 7. Maybe not tuba, trombone or sax.

My daughter plays a little guitar, keyboard and soprano sax. She started at about 8. She plays a lot better by ear than reading.

Even if a child doesn't want to, they should be encouraged to learn something while young. As they grow, they won't regret it.

Quote:
The hours spent mastering the violin or piano are worthwhile - music lessons boost children's memories.

Researchers from Hong Kong have found children who are given musical training have better verbal memories than those who have not had lessons. They say their findings could help people recovering from a brain injury as well as healthy children.
BBC NEWS | Health | Music 'makes the brain learn better'

I do not hold any stock in studies, but I do agree that learning music makes a difference in a child's learning capabilities.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Seven isn't a magic number. I've known lots of kids who started violin at 3 and 4 years old. I disagree about the instruments like winds and brass. Kids usually start recorder in 2nd or 3rd grade and can easily learn cornet or clarinet at 7. Maybe not tuba, trombone or sax.
Kids can start recorder in 2nd or 3rd grade but I would not advise clarinet, or flute until they are around 10 years old, around 12 for alto/tenor sax or the double reeds. Some teachers advocate starting clarinet a little younger but their hands are still pretty small. Flute requires way more air than most 7 year olds can manage. It takes as much air to play flute as it takes to play tuba. It's not suitable for younger kids.

I forgot to mention guitar. Guitar is suitable for 7 year olds.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:38 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Kids can start recorder in 2nd or 3rd grade but I would not advise clarinet, or flute until they are around 10 years old, around 12 for alto/tenor sax or the double reeds. Some teachers advocate starting clarinet a little younger but their hands are still pretty small. Flute requires way more air than most 7 year olds can manage. It takes as much air to play flute as it takes to play tuba. It's not suitable for younger kids.

I forgot to mention guitar. Guitar is suitable for 7 year olds.
Did I say flute? A seven year old couldn't even reach the end keys. Kids can learn guitar younger than 7.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Did I say flute? A seven year old couldn't even reach the end keys. Kids can learn guitar younger than 7.
You said "I disagree about the instruments like winds and brass."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting