Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,968,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But you don't NEED the money because your mother is giving you and the lover boy a free place to stay forever. That helps both of you not to need much money.

If you ever move out of your mom's place then you'll know what needing money is, and so will the boyfriend if he ever moves out.
I really hope that is sarcasm....
I do NEED the money because I DON'T want to live here forever.
I want to be able to pay for my own things and have money left over to buy the things I want and NEED.
I don't have health insurance....I NEED health insurance to even APPLY TO POLICE ACADEMY!!!!!!!!!! Colorado dropped me off my mom's insurance when I turned 19....that's just how my state rolls....she can't afford to pay it so I have to and I currently cant just yet but will when I start getting pay checks..

And by the way he is NOT my boyfriend. He is a close friend that I have known since high school, we used to be explorers together (he quit last year and I quit the 13th) and he is also best friends with my 15 year old brother as well. My mom likes the kid, she thinks he's good for my brother and doesn't mind having him around.
OH btw, he pays for all his own stuff. He pays for his cell phone, pays for his gas, pays for repairs to his car, pays for his doctor visits, pays for his own clothes...the ONLY thing my mom does for him is lets him stay in the basement and eat at the house.

And him staying in the basement is no loss to us...
We have boxes lined on one wall and the other 90% is a couch and chairs, a table and chairs and a bedroom type deal set up.

Its our hang out and his room...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 02:00 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
And why not?
Many people who get jobs at stores like that NEED the money and they work and work and work and work HARD for very little money to make ends meet....I think those people should be paid more than minimum wage...
You aren't supposed to make a living wage working as a part-time store clerk. I'm sorry, but it's true. I worked as a clerk for slightly above minimum wage. When minimum wage was raised, I then made minimum wage. Being a store clerk is what the minimum wage is for. It's intended for people who are young and not raising families. If you need to make more you need to find a different job.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 AM

541 posts, read 1,339,966 times
congratulation for your job... ..it does not matter it pays 8 dollars,you have a job,this is what counts...and about the spiders..i made in my houses in eruope excellent "homes" in basements...take some paint,decorate,use your fantasy,you will make a lovely"home"..why should you spend money on rent?better stay at mother and save..be smart...hotelmama is the best...for the begining...when you have a better education and you are finacial more stable,then you can move...till then enjoy and take teh basement and make a paradise of it...with a hand of a talented woman,every room can become a paradise....and is great you have a friend!do not listen to the bad comments!be a strong woman and make ,what you think is best for you!it is nothing worng with your friend live there too!!AND NOTHING WRONG TO LIVE AT MAMA IN THIS AGE!!I am a mama too and at the beginning,it is a very smart decision...you showed you are finacially responsable and your thinking is great..you save for a good education!good luck,you are on the right way!!

Old 06-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Ok I get the feeling that a lot of people didn't catch my sarcasm.....

So and I am not being rude typing in all caps I am trying to get my point across...

I HAVE A BEDROOM. FULLY FURNISHED AND CLUTTERED WITH CLOTHES. I DO NOT LIVE IN THE BASEMENT. THERE IS NO NEED FOR ME TO FIX UP THE BASEMENT. MY FRIEND LIVES WITH US AND HAS THE BASEMENT AND DOESN'T FEEL THE NEED TO FIX IT UP ANY MORE THAN IT IS.

That is all...I am done... and I going to go back outside now and get more sunburned....(only slightly kidding) Im too irish for my own good....

Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I really hope that is sarcasm....
I do NEED the money because I DON'T want to live here forever.
I want to be able to pay for my own things and have money left over to buy the things I want and NEED.
I don't have health insurance....I NEED health insurance to even APPLY TO POLICE ACADEMY!!!!!!!!!! Colorado dropped me off my mom's insurance when I turned 19....that's just how my state rolls....she can't afford to pay it so I have to and I currently cant just yet but will when I start getting pay checks..

And by the way he is NOT my boyfriend. He is a close friend that I have known since high school, we used to be explorers together (he quit last year and I quit the 13th) and he is also best friends with my 15 year old brother as well. My mom likes the kid, she thinks he's good for my brother and doesn't mind having him around.
OH btw, he pays for all his own stuff. He pays for his cell phone, pays for his gas, pays for repairs to his car, pays for his doctor visits, pays for his own clothes...the ONLY thing my mom does for him is lets him stay in the basement and eat at the house.

And him staying in the basement is no loss to us...
We have boxes lined on one wall and the other 90% is a couch and chairs, a table and chairs and a bedroom type deal set up.

Its our hang out and his room...
Wait until you actually have to pay rent or mortgage, health insurance, utilities -- then you'll see what kind of money you really NEED. Those wages are not too bad when you don't have to come up with housing costs. The two of you aren't really living any differently than many high school kids if all you do is pay for your cell phones, gas for the car and clothes. It's a lot different when you have real bills. However -- I would say health insurance is a real bill - not a fun one either.

You mentioned you might be sharing a bedroom with this guy and plan to get an apartment together when you both move out of your mom's place - that sounds a little more than just a pal.

He's still got a great deal (and you too) - no rent or chipping in for electricity - and your mom made this a permanent offer it seems. You can all stay forever in her home.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Wait until you actually have to pay rent or mortgage, health insurance, utilities -- then you'll see what kind of money you really NEED. Those wages are not too bad when you don't have to come up with housing costs. The two of you aren't really living any differently than many high school kids if all you do is pay for your cell phones, gas for the car and clothes. It's a lot different when you have real bills. However -- I would say health insurance is a real bill - not a fun one either.

You mentioned you might be sharing a bedroom with this guy and plan to get an apartment together when you both move out of your mom's place - that sounds a little more than just a pal.

He's still got a great deal (and you too) - no rent or chipping in for electricity - and your mom made this a permanent offer it seems. You can all stay forever in her home.
FFS its not a permanent offer this is just until we both get stable good paying jobs so that we can pay rent on an apartment or a house..

How many times do I have to tell you I WANT THE HELL OUT OF THIS HOUSE?

I don't want to stay here forever and live with mommie...
I want my own place and pay my own bills and have my fantastic career.

She is just doing us a favor for the mean time.

And he is a close friend we get along great, I don't mind sharing if it came down to it...

If he was a female you wouldn't be saying that.
I have barely any close female friends...I see them maybe once a month if that.
I have ALL guy friends. I hang out with my guy friends everyday.
I don't like hanging around girls because they are full of drama and aren't up for all the athletic and police stuff I like to do.

I'm just one of those girls who has all guy friends because it suits me better...I am a bit tomboyish.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
1. Federal Minimum wage is $7.25/hour. Colorado minimum wage is $7.28 per hour. So getting $8 an hour is a pretty decent entry level wage for a part time retail gig, in Colorado. In Connecticut, that would be illegal, since in Connecticut, minimum wage is $8.25/hour. That's one of the highest in the country. In Wyoming, the minimum wage is only $5.15 an hour.

2. To the guy who says 10 years ago he was making $7 an hour and struggling then - 10 years ago, Federal minimum wage was $5.15 an hour. If you were struggling, maybe you were trying to find a rent-controlled apartment in Greenwich Village on your $7 an hour - but in oh, let's say, Wyoming, your mama would've been proud as a peacock to see her son getting so well-paid.

3. To the text queen - congratulations on your part time job. Now you can start saving up. Kudos to your mom for letting you stay. It's good that you want to get out. And it sounds like it's pretty important that you do. However, I have a nitpicky concern: you say you were an Explorer, and you're tomboyish, and you can't stand the drama of girls, and you want to go to Police Academy. But your bedroom is full of all your stuff, which you complain about on a different thread, and your basement has spiders in it? How about - get over your fear of creepy crawlies and create a small storage area in the basement for whatever stuff you aren't using in any given season?

So, if you're not planning on skiing this summer - toss the skis downstairs. If it isn't soccer season, put your soccer gear downstairs. The police stuff - you're not in police academy yet. Surely you don't need for it to be in your bedroom, since you won't be wearing it for awhile anyway?

I'm pretty surprised as a former Explorer you would even think to mention that your basement has spiders, on a public forum. That's got to be pretty embarrassing. And VERY girlishly dramatic.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1. Federal Minimum wage is $7.25/hour. Colorado minimum wage is $7.28 per hour. So getting $8 an hour is a pretty decent entry level wage for a part time retail gig, in Colorado. In Connecticut, that would be illegal, since in Connecticut, minimum wage is $8.25/hour. That's one of the highest in the country. In Wyoming, the minimum wage is only $5.15 an hour.

2. To the guy who says 10 years ago he was making $7 an hour and struggling then - 10 years ago, Federal minimum wage was $5.15 an hour. If you were struggling, maybe you were trying to find a rent-controlled apartment in Greenwich Village on your $7 an hour - but in oh, let's say, Wyoming, your mama would've been proud as a peacock to see her son getting so well-paid.

3. To the text queen - congratulations on your part time job. Now you can start saving up. Kudos to your mom for letting you stay. It's good that you want to get out. And it sounds like it's pretty important that you do. However, I have a nitpicky concern: you say you were an Explorer, and you're tomboyish, and you can't stand the drama of girls, and you want to go to Police Academy. But your bedroom is full of all your stuff, which you complain about on a different thread, and your basement has spiders in it? How about - get over your fear of creepy crawlies and create a small storage area in the basement for whatever stuff you aren't using in any given season?

So, if you're not planning on skiing this summer - toss the skis downstairs. If it isn't soccer season, put your soccer gear downstairs. The police stuff - you're not in police academy yet. Surely you don't need for it to be in your bedroom, since you won't be wearing it for awhile anyway?

I'm pretty surprised as a former Explorer you would even think to mention that your basement has spiders, on a public forum. That's got to be pretty embarrassing. And VERY girlishly dramatic.
Not when these spiders are black widows or the size of a quarter.
Its just snow pants and my under armor cold gear. I don't own skiis.
And I still use my police gear daily, my friends and I train and I would never put my stuff down in a basement....I want to keep it in mint condition and be able to use it during my career. It has its own special place in my closet.

And I play soccer year round, every week.

Plus, people move and touch and break and lose my things. I am quite possessive over them....I don't like my things being messed with..

And even thought I am a tomboy and hang out with all guys, I do have a girlie side to me. I wont leave the house with make-up, I am afraid of spiders, I like to make bracelets out of hemp and that string stuff and I rock a bikini when I go to the pool, yet I am up for biking around town, wrestling and play fighting, and other shenanigans and I don't mind running around playing paintball in the woods and rolling around in mud..

And I am not embarrassed by being afraid of spiders, even though I am going to be a cop....just think about it....creepy fangs, some are poisonous, they can crawl in your clothes, the average adult swallows 8 spiders either in their lifetime or 8 every years....

The idea creeps me out...spiders creep me out and I am not afraid to admit it.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:04 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
That's what it's all about. Adults living several families and several generations to a one family resident require lower wages. They are less motivated to demand more wages.

Today people age 21, 22, 23, 24 are considered children to be supported by their parents. A couple generations ago, people at that age were out working, buying homes of their own and raising their families by that time.
Generations before that it was the NORM for multiple generations to live in the same household. Your kids didn't leave and get married. They got married and brough the bride or groom to move in. Not only in rural areas but more cosopolitans ones as well. The strongest core was the family and while some moved away some stayed. For kids there was always someone there.

It wasn't about being freeloaders. They worked. They were just not pushed away from the family because they hit a certain age.

As for the 8 dollar an hour jobs... a friend of mine is looking for something to support herself. She had planned to get a certified care giver liscence. But now she's wondering. The class to get this costs a minimum of 500 dollars. You get paid 8 dollars an hour and have to drive from place to place. She could work at Hobby Lobby and make ten dollars an hour and not have to drive more than a few blocks.

I'm glad I'm not 18 anymore. Too bad my son is because this is the world he'd going to have to live in. If he wants to come and live with me, he's welcome.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:

I don't know how many damn times I have to say this to you but its really starting to **** me off..

I NEED money so I can pay for health insurance because I CAN'T EVEN apply to police academy unless I have health insurance.
I NEED money so I can pay a car payment and gas money so I can get to this job AND police academy.
So yes I do NEED money so I can get started in my career, so I have a well paying job so I can live comfortably and stably.

So yeah I NEED money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting