Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 03:27 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's sort of difficult for me to believe Europeans don't drink for the "buzz", especially as they tend to scoff at American beers for being so weak and say they are like water - German beers have a much higher alcohol content. I think everyone drinks for the feeling it gives them but not everyone drinks to become wasted. Otherwise more people would buy cheaper punches and soft drinks.
Europeans do drink for the "buzz" and to get drunk. Have you ever been to Sweden after hours?

I was agreeing that drinking was part of the "meal" when it came to family. They don't do it to be permissive; you need to meet my in-laws and you would see that they are not a permissive family by a long shot. Also, they didn't seem to get a buzz with the small amount that I did. That was because I didn't drink that much before and I still don't. When I was a teenager at parties, I usually dumped the contents of my cup so people thought I was drinking.

Last edited by crisan; 06-20-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 06:50 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times
Yes, if the parent serves the alcohol to a minor. There are many reasons why this is wrong. The foremost, it's against the law.

BTW, the alcoholism rate in Europe is higher than the US. And, we don't exactly have a low rate.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,979 times
I believe that there should be an understanding between the parents and the teens. If, for example, my daughter goes to a friend's house and I know that friend's parents and I know that they are serving alcohol/beer to my daughter and I'm ok with it, then no, those parents shouldn't be held responsible if something happens, I should! If my daughter goes to a friend's house and I don't know that the parents are serving alcohol/beer to my daughter and she gets into trouble, then yes, those parents should be held responsible!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
I lived in London during my teen years, where I was first exposed to drinking alcohol. If people think Europeans don't drink for the buzz, they are ignorant of the truth. Drinking was quite common, among teens, too. Parents were more tolerant of teens drinking, not to the point where they'd let them get drunk, but trust me, there was a lot of ale drank before and after dinner. It wasn't just a glass of wine with dinner. It was just a way of life, not how I had been raised. My teetotaling parents were absolutely horrified at what I was being exposed to by my new friends and their families. I was forbidden to drink, which made it taste even better. ( My husband even has French relatives that gave sips of wine and beer to their children as babies)

Personally with my own kids, on special occasions around the age of 18 or so we'd allow them to have a glass of wine with dinner. But they weren't allowed to leave the house afterwards. We recently had a big family get-together, and they didn't even want alcohol. I think we need to teach our children to be responsible with drinking, but it's a personal decision. When it comes to serving alcohol to someone else's underage child though, absolutely not.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 AM

758 posts, read 1,872,076 times
Jailed? No.

Fined maybe, yes.

If your own kids were drinking at your house and you had control of how much they were drinking and if they could go anywhere after they were drinking, I would not be so concerned. But someone having a party and allowing kids (other than their own) to drink at it, is beyond stupid to me. The person/s hosting could not prevent the other kids from driving somewhere after.

Even if they were not allowing it but is happening without their knowledge I think they should be in trouble also. If you are hosting a party especially with teens, you should be vigilant about supervision. It's not really that hard to identify a teen that has been drinking.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:19 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
if the party was held at their home yes.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Restore corporal punishment first.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:21 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,209 times
I think if the party/alcohol was served at thier house - Then YES they should be held responsible.

But if their kid went to some party and got drunk without them know - Then No they should not be held responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting