Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

Imagine how much worse it had to be, prior to the advent of disposables.

Really though - as much as I am grossed out by baby crap, it's neither the kid's fault or the parent's fault that the kid has chosen that moment to crap. Personally I wouldn't trust those changing tables, and I wouldn't want to put -my- changing mat on one of those tables, because then my mat would be.. touching.. someone else's kid's...germs. Blech. Just the whole idea of that is gross.

If the dad made an attempt to move his activity away from the crowd, maybe off in a corner or down-wind of the fresh air vent, then I don't think he's done anything worth commenting on. If, however, he just had his kid drop trou in the middle of the line, then yeah..I'd probably suggest, as politely and kindly as possible, that he move himself and his baby off to the side a bit, and that I'd happily save his place in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 12:45 PM

380 posts, read 1,062,681 times
First off, it was the Mom. And it is interesting that two of you commented on the age of the child. Our flight was leaving gate 18, and it was late and packed. I was sitting next to the wall between gates 16 and 18. The mother appeared to be about 5 months pregnant and she marched her three daughters to the area behind the customer service counter indicating that she was going to change the youngest one, who was walking. She did her thing walked right in front of me and put the dirty diaper in the public trash can at the gate. Just when I was starting to catch my breath; here she comes again; this time it's the next oldest kid, who must have been 4. I got up and walked away, contemplating telling TSA or at least the DAL reps.

Maybe the mom was like some of the special ed. moms; loving every second of attention bestowed upon her for creating her little wonders. It was like she was announcing it, just to get reactions. Oh, and her husband was sitting by himself at the gate.

BTW, they had not even lined up the wheelchairs for boarding.

Last edited by smokemaster; 06-20-2010 at 12:54 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 12:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
People probably assumed it was the Dad because in your OP you mentioned the men's room. I think it is fine to change a baby in that situation where ever you can.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:14 PM

380 posts, read 1,062,681 times
I meant that I had seen one (changing table) in every men's restroom; surely they would have them in the women's, as well.

Two of the posters indicated that age was a factor. So at what age is it inappropriate to change your kids in public?

Old 06-20-2010, 01:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
OP- do you have children? Have you ever flown w/ children?
Is this post a real post or the host of instigating posts that have been flooding the parenting forum?

Good for you that you walked away. Lot easier for you since you didn't have diapers to change & were pregnant! Wow, what s "special ed" parent SHE was...geez!!!

Personally, this thread is either a load of crap (pun intended) or you are just a cranky person.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:24 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
There may have been a very long line for the ladies room. It's hard enough to get in there for a quick tinkle when the airport is packed, and there can be lines at changing tables too. Sometimes you do what you have to do but if at all possible I'd have taken the older children (3+) to the restroom.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:25 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
I wouldn't have said anything. What is there to say? Diapers need to be changed and it's good that she took care of it prior to getting on the plane. I can't imagine why you think that she was just doing it to get attention.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:43 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Possible scenario:

She's in the process of potty training the oldest, but things like that have major set back while traveling. They may have been waiting in line at in the woman's restroom and an accident happened because the line was so long (only women understand the line situation in women's bathrooms - if another flight just got out, forget it).

So she has two little ones with diapers that need to be changed and she doesn't want to miss the call to get on the plane before others - because trying to wrangle three little girls is hard enough.

I highly, highly doubt she was trying to get attention. I remember traveling with one, with my husband and it was hard enough. Let alone three. I doubt at that moment she was wanting to show off her "little wonders". What do you mean by "special ed" anyway? Seems really mean.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I think certain parents are so absorbed with being parents that they want to display every aspect of their parenting to the whole world. They could be more discreet but that's not the point, they want to make a big show for all.

I've been in restaurants where the baby or toddler is laid out on the table and the diaper changed right there -- for all the restaurant patrons to admire I suppose.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I wouldn't have said anything. What is there to say? Diapers need to be changed and it's good that she took care of it prior to getting on the plane. I can't imagine why you think that she was just doing it to get attention.
A parent that doesn't want a lot of attention would notice there are plenty of bathrooms in an airport.

Those who carry out their parenting duties in front of the crowds do so because they want attention. Others find quiet areas, or the changing tables in the bathrooms because they don't want a lot of attention.

I won't say anything however, it's the attention they crave so I think it's best to not give it to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting