Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:20 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times

Advertisements

You know, maybe she just isn't ready yet. Maybe she'll be ready at 3 years and 1 month. Don't spank.

And why are you so anxious about her getting it now for kindergarten when you have a year still to go? And why kindergarten before 4 years old?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:37 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,333,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
You know, maybe she just isn't ready yet. Maybe she'll be ready at 3 years and 1 month. Don't spank.

And why are you so anxious about her getting it now for kindergarten when you have a year still to go? And why kindergarten before 4 years old?
She will be 3 yrs 10 months when entering kindergarten. In Canada you have to turn 4 by dec of that same school year to enter.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 PM

831 posts, read 1,581,970 times
I have a 2 yr 4mth old dd and she isn't ready my oldest dd was 100% trained before her 2nd birthday. It's no big deal just wait a while and try again.

I can't believe the make kids start school so young in Canada. I would hate that for the little ones to be in school and still only be 3. Is that like a preschool thing or do they HAVE to go that young.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
So I'm still trying to potty train my 2 1/2 year old girl. She is actually almost 2 yrs and 8 months. She is not getting it. I keep a potty in the living room. She took off her diaper and proceeded to poop on my hardwood floor. The potty was a foot away from her. Now she has started taking off her diaper whenever she poos and throws the diaper on the ground. I know gross!!!!
I also have an 8 month old and a 7 year old. I don't know what to do anymore. She pees IF I put her on the potty if not she pees on the floor/diaper. I have tried big girl underwear stickers you name it. She does NOT recognize the urge to go. Now this new thing of taking off her dirty diaper has really thrown me for a loop.
Please don't judge me just help please.

Thanks in advance
If you think about it - this might be the only thing she really can control, and she's not going to give up control so readily if she thinks she's got you over a barrel. Some kids get passive aggressive when pushed in toilet training.

Also some are perfectly happy with the idea of staying a baby.

You might need to back off, but start witholding some things she likes and tell her that those are for big girls and she's not a big girl yet. Make it less desireable to stay a baby and tell her big girls don't wear diapers. Babies are good too but they can't have what big girls have.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:45 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,448,771 times
Never heard about 3 yo in kindergarten here in Canada. In our part of Canada kindergarten starts from 5yo. (5yo by Dec. 31st).

Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,465,890 times
Quote:
So I'm still trying to potty train my 2 1/2 year old girl. She is actually almost 2 yrs and 8 months. She is not getting it.

It's not her who doesn't get it, it's YOU who doesn't get it. She's not ready to train. Leave her alone. Some kids don't train until 3 or even 4 years old. The more you force her, the less she's going to want to do it.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:58 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oh take the pooed in diaper and place it back on her.
Brilliant idea! Perhaps you own stock in the manufacturer of Desitin?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
I thought about giving her a little spank on the behind but I know I'm going to feel bad if I do it. I'm just hoping this going #2 in the diaper and then taking it off stops soon. My son was so easy to potty train. I just don't get why she's not getting it at all. I'm nervous because she will be 3 ys and 10 months when she goes to kindergarten and they won't take her if she's in diapers. I am worrying that there is something wrong with her.
She will be THREE and going to kindergarten? Most kids are FIVE when they go to kindergarten. Children not yet three years old do not belong in kindergarden.

Shen will get it when she gets it. You can't rush her. My son was over 3 before he toilet trained. He is an honors student now. Don't worry about it.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,690,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If you think about it - this might be the only thing she really can control, and she's not going to give up control so readily if she thinks she's got you over a barrel. Some kids get passive aggressive when pushed in toilet training.

Also some are perfectly happy with the idea of staying a baby.

You might need to back off, but start witholding some things she likes and tell her that those are for big girls and she's not a big girl yet. Make it less desireable to stay a baby and tell her big girls don't wear diapers. Babies are good too but they can't have what big girls have.
I agree with malamute.

Your daughter knows EXACTLY what she's doing. I'm sure she has been 'ready' for quite some time. It just isn't convenient for her. Is she one who doesn't take well to change? She's rebelling because she's stubborn. I wouldn't give up at all, and would punish her for going in her diaper and especially on the floor.

I'd stay on her case constantly for a couple days and not give her the opportunity to go anywhere but the potty. Put the potty in the bathroom, put a pair of panties on her and watch her like a hawk.

If you back off, she will be even harder later.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
She's 2 1/2 now and you're worried because she'll start school at 3y 10 mo. You do realize that's more than 1 full year away? Why the big push now?

Why put either one of you through all of this? Who cares if it takes a little while longer? What difference will it make? None. She'll be ready when she's ready. With my oldest (DD) I stressed so much it was ridiculous...I finally decided it wasn't doing either of us any good. So I changed tack on that....when they were about 2 1/2 I took them to the store to buy "big girl/boy" pants. They got to choose them. Every now and then I would ask - do you want to try the big girl/boy pants today?" For awhile the answer was no....I let them be in control of that (no matter how much you might want to control you child, you cannot control another person's bowels and bladder - they need to learn how to do it themselves). When they finally said yes we hardly had any accidents. They were ready. They were allowed to be in control over when it happened. My DD was not quite 3 and my DS was about 3 1/2. My DD decided this about 1 month before DS was born. Everyone told me to expect regression...none at all. In fact, about the time he was born, she decided she didn't want nighttime diapers either...she brought it up to me I didn't ask her. Eh, so they were 3ish...They weren't stunted in any way or higher achieving or better behaved than kids who were potty trained 6 months earlier...MUCH easier on everyone IMO.

Last edited by maciesmom; 06-24-2010 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: punct. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.