Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 11:46 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If the mother doesn't WANT to feed, her hormonal changes will reflect this lack of interest and so will her lactation or lack thereof.
Gee, I don't want to have my period but despite not wanting it..it still comes every month.

It doesn't work like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 11:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
ADVentive, as an immunologist, you should know better than to make blanket statements. Here's a blanket statement for you:
What blanket statement are you referring to? That breastfeeding is a public health issue? That says nothing about an individual and whether breastfeeding is right for them, it only talks about breastfeeding on a population level. I really don't know what you're getting at.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
2. Everyone keeps referring to infants being breastfed in public, which I would take to be 6 months or younger. Since 6 months is the general age at which it is recommended babies should be exclusively breastfed, we can all assume that it is OK to feed a baby to that age in a public place. However, many people advocate that it should be done longer; 12 months, 18 months, 2 years, or even more. At what age is the child too old to be breastfed in public? If a 2 year old wants to nurse is it acceptable for the mother to do it in the middle of the mall? Given that being discreet about it becomes more and more difficult the bigger the child is, where's the line?
I think you should start a new thread if you want to talk about that. We are getting pretty far off the track already.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:59 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
2. Everyone keeps referring to infants being breastfed in public, which I would take to be 6 months or younger. Since 6 months is the general age at which it is recommended babies should be exclusively breastfed, we can all assume that it is OK to feed a baby to that age in a public place. However, many people advocate that it should be done longer; 12 months, 18 months, 2 years, or even more. At what age is the child too old to be breastfed in public? If a 2 year old wants to nurse is it acceptable for the mother to do it in the middle of the mall? Given that being discreet about it becomes more and more difficult the bigger the child is, where's the line?
I'm fairly busy at work, so I'll just address since it's more misinformation.

YES, 6 months is recommended for exclusively breastfeeding. However, the primary source of nutrition for children up to one year of age is supposed to be breastmilk - meaning, solids are not supposed to be the primary source of nutrition before one year. Solids at that point are supposed to get the baby used to trying food other than milk, not become a meal replacement - but the majority of calories are supposed to come from milk.

Something that might be interesting for you and others to research is how people view breastfeeding in other countries (not 3rd world, either). The "land of the free" is beyond puritanical when it comes to breastfeeding.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:10 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
I'm fairly busy at work, so I'll just address since it's more misinformation.

YES, 6 months is recommended for exclusively breastfeeding. However, the primary source of nutrition for children up to one year of age is supposed to be breastmilk - meaning, solids are not supposed to be the primary source of nutrition before one year. Solids at that point are supposed to get the baby used to trying food other than milk, not become a meal replacement - but the majority of calories are supposed to come from milk.

Something that might be interesting for you and others to research is how people view breastfeeding in other countries (not 3rd world, either). The "land of the free" is beyond puritanical when it comes to breastfeeding.
No offense, but I understand what is recommended and why it's recommended. I do have three kids and all three were breastfed albeit not as long as recommended. I understand that from 6 months until 12 months the primary nutrition is still breast milk or formula.

I wasn't trying to spread misinformation or get nitpicky with anything, more or less trying to get back from the way off topic to the slightly less off topic that we were discussing a few pages back.

At what age for the child does breastfeeding cease to be acceptable in public? I actually know of a woman who breastfed her children until they were 8 or 9 (FIL's, cousin). Would it be OK for her to breastfeed in the middle of the mall? Afterall the reasons advocating it to be OK for an infant are the same reasons I could use to support her decision including that it is good for her child, but somehow I think most people, even those who are breastfeeding advocates wouldn't condone her doing it.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I think you should start a new thread if you want to talk about that. We are getting pretty far off the track already.
I'll make a new thread, as you are right that I am coming back late to the game on this one and the topic has changed.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:28 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Anybody can twist studies to suit what they are looking for. That's the trouble, people put too much trust in studies. They are biased to the cause. They don't count.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:22 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Originally Posted by AnonChick
If the mother doesn't WANT to feed, her hormonal changes will reflect this lack of interest and so will her lactation or lack thereof.

Ok and what studies do you have to back this up? The less a woman breastfeeds the less milk she will produce. Lactation works on the prinicple of supply and demand. Trust me your breasts/body doesn't have some deep hormonal intuition that you don't want to breastfeed

Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Originally Posted by AnonChick

Ok and what studies do you have to back this up? The less a woman breastfeeds the less milk she will produce. Lactation works on the prinicple of supply and demand. Trust me your breasts/body doesn't have some deep hormonal intuition that you don't want to breastfeed

Believe it or not, its not just supply and demand. Ask any breastfeeding woman - sometimes hearing a baby cry will cause letdown. Seeing a picture of her baby will do the same.

Stressful time at work? My supply for the three pumping sessions I do per day dropped by 30% for a few days, no kidding. I actually keep a few videos of my son playing and laughing on my phone because I will produce more milk if I watch them while pumping. It really is amazing how the human body operates.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:12 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Believe it or not, its not just supply and demand. Ask any breastfeeding woman - sometimes hearing a baby cry will cause letdown. Seeing a picture of her baby will do the same.

Stressful time at work? My supply for the three pumping sessions I do per day dropped by 30% for a few days, no kidding. I actually keep a few videos of my son playing and laughing on my phone because I will produce more milk if I watch them while pumping. It really is amazing how the human body operates.
I think you have to breastfeed to understand this. This happened to me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting